mtbr member

New question here. How much drop can a 5 Spot take?

I've been drooling over the 5 Spot, but wondering if I need longer travel. I thrive on long technical rocky trails (that's all we have here) but the opportunity for 3' to 4' drops are numerous, and I'm finding myself drawn more and more to this light free-ride stuff.
    Locally, a 5" fs bike is considered the minimum for XC.

Most of my friends ride 7"-8" travel frames in the 45lb range (and huck 10 footers like I do 2 footers) but I'm much more of a trail rider than they - #1 for me is tech trail and I don't really want to push a 7" travel bike around, but would like to take part in the 3'-4' drops.

So if the 5 Spot can handle 4' drops with a 165lb rider, weeeeeheee!

What do y'all think?

wait a minute....

How much drop can a 5 Spot take?

i have taken several 2-3 foot drops on mine and it does fine. i am 180 lbs and have only had it for a few weeks so i dont know about long term. i do know that the frame has a great reputation but i have read some complaints about the romic. so far so good with mine.i think it would hold up to 4 or 5 feet if i get bigger balls.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'm sure the 5-spot can take tons of 4" drops to flat no problem, if executed smoothly... and much bigger if there's a good tranny. How many it can take is a separate question.... allthough I'm sure it would fair very well against other manufacturers similar frames.

The thing is, once you get the hang of drops of that size, you'll probably end up hitting them every chance you get, and always watching for drops that are 6" bigger than the last one you conquered.

I guess it's all about prioritizing. allthough I'm no wade simmons, I can say that a bigger bike will definately safely encourage you to go bigger than you would on a trail-bike like the 5-spot. If you do decide that sounds like more fun than being first to the summit of every climb, you won't be dissapointed with a heavier bike, even while climbing. a little fitness work goes a long way, towards making up for a heavier bike. Plus, if you're friends are already riding heavier FR bikes, riding the same will only help you hit what they're hitting.

Basically, the 5-spot can take just about anything with the right pilot. But have no doubt that a heavier, longer travel bike will have you landing bigger drops sooner, and safer. I would definately suggest a RFX if they were available. But, since they aren't, consider a azonic saber. It's right in between the RFX and a 5-spot, 8.5lbs I think, 4-bar, romic, and either 5" or 6" of travel. Pair one up with a Z150 and you'll have a hell of a bike for drops, FR *AND* XC riding.

Mashers Only!!

Baby steps!!!

I just started doing drops since I got my spot. I'm 200 lbs ish and it did great.

HUGH
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

cool picture

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    I just started doing drops since I got my spot. I'm 200 lbs ish and it did great.

HUGH
    That's a very cool picture

GSS
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm no monster hucker but have done quite a few drops on my 5spot. As people have mentioned above, it's all about how smooth you are. There's no magic height/drop that the 5 Spot is going to suddenly fail at. Obviously, repeated drops are going to start to fatigue the frame but I would say the 5 spot would have no problems with regular 4 foot drops as longs as the landing it not too flat and you are not too harsh.

If you want to start doing 10' drops regularly like your friends, then the 5 Spot is not the frame for you.

I've done this drop on my 5 Spot a few times without problems - even my TALAS forks enjoy it! (note this pic is not me).

mtbr member

Is that England?

I've done this drop on my 5 Spot a few times without problems - even my TALAS forks enjoy it! (note this pic is not me).

Is that photo in England? If so, where? How much of a drop is it? (I guess it's going to depend on your speed)

GSS
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yea, the drop is at Chicksands near Bedford. Theres loads of great freeride stuff there including a dual course.

The drop is around 6-7 ft at the point I landed (at a guess), the transition keeps going for a while so with enough speed you could get up to about 12ft, probably more. Theres plenty of bigger stuff there as well if you are that way inclined.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Great pictures!

I'd say this- I think once you have the basics of doing a 2' wheelie drop, or coasting off a 2' ledge, you have most all the skills required to go much bigger. It's just a matter of working your way up to the bigger ones to gain confidence and experience, but they're really not much harder.... However if you buy a bike that wasn't designed for drops, you're going to have durability issues. It makes an extra pound on a frame seem like a small price to pay.

And travel- you don't really need any travel in back if you keep your knees bent to absorb the landing. However a bigger fork will really save your bacon should you land front-wheel first.

Quote Originally Posted by GSS
    Yea, the drop is at Chicksands near Bedford. Theres loads of great freeride stuff there including a dual course.

The drop is around 6-7 ft at the point I landed (at a guess), the transition keeps going for a while so with enough speed you could get up to about 12ft, probably more. Theres plenty of bigger stuff there as well if you are that way inclined.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I'm sure the 5-spot can take tons of 4" drops to flat no problem, if executed smoothly... and much bigger if there's a good tranny. How many it can take is a separate question.... allthough I'm sure it would fair very well against other manufacturers similar frames.

I don't know, it might be pusing it taking a 5 spot off of 4 inch drops to flat.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Ha! Good catch! I was tired and drunk when I wrote that, after a great, long spring ride.

Obviously, I meant...... 4-1/2"!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    I don't know, it might be pusing it taking a 5 spot off of 4 inch drops to flat.

mtbr member
    PM me for a movie of me dropping this.matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I'm sure the 5-spot can take tons of 4" drops to flat no problem, if executed smoothly...

The thing is, once you get the hang of drops of that size, you'll probably end up hitting them every chance you get, and always watching for drops that are 6" bigger than the last one you conquered.

I guess it's all about prioritizing. a little fitness work goes a long way, towards making up for a heavier bike.

Basically, the 5-spot can take just about anything with the right pilot. But have no doubt that a heavier, longer travel bike will have you landing bigger drops sooner, and safer.

I would definately suggest a RFX if they were available. But, since they aren't, consider a azonic saber. It's right in between the RFX and a 5-spot, 8.5lbs I think, 4-bar, romic, and either 5" or 6" of travel. Pair one up with a Z150 and you'll have a hell of a bike for drops, FR *AND* XC riding.
    Thanks for the excellent feedback - I really appreciate the suggestion of an alternate bike - the Azonic Saber. (I've also considered the Ellsworth Joker

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    not sure if this link will work but here go's.It's a movie of a drop on 5 spot.I had posted a pic in this thread of me stand next to it.enjoy.http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...47&mode=invite

mtbr member
    the 5 spot can take some serious abuse. if there is a decent tranny it can hadle 8-10 footers, but if its relatively flat then i would keep it under 6 feet. essentaily it all comes down to your shock set up and what kind of a rider you are. E.C. seems to beat the **** out of his and it handles it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Inspiring

Cool
    I did a 1.5 drop yesterday on my 5 Spot. Its just getting that confidence back...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattogu
    PM me for a movie of me dropping this.matt
    Looks fun!