Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

how many clydes on a RFX?

so besides bikezilla and el chaingone, how many of you guys are on the RFX and how are you getting along with the RFX's leverage ratio?

thanks,

-Sp

HIKE!

one here

I'm 200, plus gear can add another 10lbs or so. Been riding a SixPack for a couple seasons now. Finally had to give up on the coil rear shocks to get a better ride. Running the proper spring for the correct sag, the coil DHX 5.0 rode pretty doggy, stunted. With a softer spring, just bottomed on everything. After I swapped to an air shock (DHX Air) and all is peachy, more depth of travel, better tracking of the wheel over fast rough terrain, and no more bottoming on drops.

Lay off the Levers
    I know I'm sorta excluded from this but I found the DHX coil to be the solution to dodgy air shocks. W/the leverage and a clydes weight the air shocks end up at their spring/pressure ~300psi limits and don't ride as well as the coil shocks.

FWIW I believe the '07 has a slightly lower leverage.

If you still don't get everything you want out of the coil you've always got Push.
    And then there's Tscheezy's tweak.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    ...just slap an Avy on there....problem solved!!! (right Zilla?)

trail fairy
    I vote for the CCDB it blows my mind I haven't ridden the Avy but most everything else nothing comes close its that good imo, I suspect I should have a 600lb spring but I still haven't bottomed it yet that I know of though must have been close, Ive hit some big drops and Im running nearly 50% sag
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...just slap an Avy on there....problem solved!!! (right Zilla?)
    *Cough*

[SIZE=1](rapid diversion)[/SIZE]
    Hey how about those Maxxis? I hit it yesterday with a 2.3 High Roller UST... Big props to you jnc for the tip. This is indeed an excellent rear tire. As you said it is perfect on East coast terrain. Wet, dry, rock root it actually beat my favorite NBX and is substantially lighter. Nice!

Now, what were we talking about?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    ...2.3 High Roller UST... This is indeed an excellent rear tire.
    ...no doubt. Not the fastest roller, but that is typically the least of my considerations around here. The fact that I can drop some decent size drops without burping at ~27-8psi is very impressive to me. I am still digging them very much. At 800g's they are hard to beat!!!
    ...now back to that Avalanche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lay off the Levers
    It cuts through heavy leaves too, this is the most traction challenging time of year. It was a ROYAL PITA to inflate though. I never had a problem getting any other tire started. Once it got going it bedded in without a problem.

mtbr member
    It cuts through heavy leaves too, this is the most traction challenging time of year. It was a ROYAL PITA to inflate though. I never had a problem getting any other tire started. Once it got going it bedded in without a problem.
    ....mine both inflated easy as pie on the Mavic 823's. The trick is to use lots of soap suds around the beads. They both stayed pumped up solid for weeks without any pressure loss until a week ago when I got my first thorn puncture....finally added some latex & been good since!

Lay off the Levers
    Yepper the extra soap did the trick.
    BTW what is this Avalanche you speak of... some kind of new tire? Oh gee look at the time... G'night!

mtbr member
    BTW what is this Avalanche you speak of... some kind of new tire? Oh gee look at the time... G'night!
    ...meh, I'll never tell

mtbr member
    I'm currently tipping the scales at 210 buck-arse naked and running the a Pushed DHX-C and loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...now back to that Avalanche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    JNC might seem like a strange question, but what are you weighing in at these days?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    you guys are totally hijacking my thread...lol...back on track, yes no?

-Sp

Yepper the extra soap did the trick.

Lay off the Levers
    Threadjacking...me???

Noooooooo ... I'm just ah, um.... stalling...I mean er I really like the DHX-C I have yet to get the impression from all the feeback on shocks that any curently available air (rear) shock can keep up with a coil, under a clyde, in aggro terrain, especially on a 3:1 leverage bike.

I do appreciate the lightness of being that comes with an air shock. I'll probably try the Roco Air or one of those Santa Cruz blowouts.

If the rock gardens are only occasional happenstance during a ride, or there's substantial fast and twisty singletrack that's mostly hardpack between rocky sections, then air's fine. If it's going to be all day rock crawling, drops, chutes and cheese graters then I have a deep prefrence for the coil. I recall even DT posted he liked the feel of the coils up in the aggro rocky stuff.

The '07 linkage design changes means all bets are off on spring medium until we get more diverse feedback from the user base. I'd say air could only get a bump-up from the change.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 11-21-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    so besides bikezilla and el chaingone, how many of you guys are on the RFX and how are you getting along with the RFX's leverage ratio?

thanks,

-Sp
    It's actually "El Chan Gone" which is Spanish for "The Chan Gone".

Team Sanchez
    I ran a DHX air on my 07 for a while, and hated it. I had to run 275 psi with the boost valve all the way in to keep it from bottoming, and that caused it to ride harsh in the chop. I actually preferred the way my 05 felt with the RP3 that I tried out. With the RP3 I didn't have to run the pressure as high (250 psi), and it seemed to stick to the terrain a little better. I still feel like the stock DHXcoil is a better alternative for big guys, and the Push upgrade makes it even better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    200 with gear, and I would agree with Mr. Chaingone/Blackspire/Sanchy-Poo's observations of the DHX-Air on the 06 RFX. It's just not a great match for that bike. The CCDB blows it away in all aspects except for weight. The (non-pushed) DHX-Coil was much better than the air version too, but no comparison to the CCDB.

I guess your original question was to the suitability of an RFX to a Clyde. Based on my experiences, and seeing the abuse others have subjected them too, I would heartily recommend the RFX.

Make sure and run some IRC Mibros on it. No other tire quite measures up!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hey SP, I'm 200 w/o gear and very happy with the ride of the RFX, plenty plush with the DHX coil and the design ramps up nicely compared to my previous single pivot Foes, the FXR would wallow a bit while climbing/pedaling the flats and bottomed occasionally on bigger hits, none of that with the RFX, it's a nice pedaler. The Foes was a tad plusher overall IMO, and a little stiffer which contributed to the plush feeling over chunky terrain at speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    JNC might seem like a strange question, but what are you weighing in at these days?
    ....225 lbs & running the 5.3" rockers w/ 500# spring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Was that a stock RP3?

thanks,

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I ran a DHX air on my 07 for a while, and hated it. I had to run 275 psi with the boost valve all the way in to keep it from bottoming, and that caused it to ride harsh in the chop. I actually preferred the way my 05 felt with the RP3 that I tried out. With the RP3 I didn't have to run the pressure as high (250 psi), and it seemed to stick to the terrain a little better. I still feel like the stock DHXcoil is a better alternative for big guys, and the Push upgrade makes it even better.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    It's actually "El Chan Gone" which is Spanish for "The Chan Gone".
    I thought it was French and pronounced chan-be-gone

/threadjack mode off/

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Almost a clyde....

I am about 190 for now, but ususally hit 200 before the winter ends. The DHX-C is nice, but as others said, depends on application. It is plush in the rough, but you can feel the weight IMO. As I was chasing a couple of 29er SS last night, I was wishing for a DHX-A, just for the weight savings. I wish there was a better air shock alternative, without having to mod up something.

RT

mtbr member
    i am 225 ride an xl six pack. i have the dhx-c and recently put an rp3 on it. I like the rp3 better then the dhx-c. more mid stroke feel. i do not crazy drops but do ride cross stuntry. ( a little east coast terminology) I love this bike. It climbs well and goes down hill like a rabid ape.....

Chris

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    Was that a stock RP3?

thanks,

-Sp
    Yeah. The RP3 was stock. It was an older one with the small canister.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Team Sanchez
    I think the RP3 is an underrated shock. They take some pretty good abuse, and don't bottom nearly as easily as the DHXair IMO. Pic courtesy of Tscheezy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast