Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

How long have your pivots lasted?

And is it possible in some cases for them to be lifetime parts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I replaced mine after 2 years.....about 3K miles... and I'm sorry that I did. They could have lasted at least another 3k miles.

mtbr member
    2 years so far in the UK riding at least twice a week,the pivots are just taking grease and purging out past the seals,just run in

deez nuts
    I havn't had to replace them but I had to take both of the pivots out of the horst link, clean & re-grease them. They were making an awful squaking noise. Make sure you are lubing the zerks.

That was after 1 season of riding, prob 3-4 rides/ week average.

banned
    I should have also included the second question about dirt getting in through the zerk fittings during greasing. I try to clean as much as I can on those things, using degreaser, toothbrushes, toothpicks, and napkins, but I always think there's some dirt left in thecheck ball crevice. I wonder how much of an impact this would have on the wear of the pivots.

XR rockers coming in sometime next month, so it's looking like I'm going to put them through a thorough cleaning. I used the HL pivot mod on those bushings and it was nice to see them take grease. I *think* it may have improved the smoothness of the rear end, although I don't think it would be the case, since that pivot barely moves.

I have to say that the pivots are one factor that will always make Turner my first choice for my next bike.

mtbr member
    I clean my Zerk's with an old toothbrush.

jra
    tscheezy posted a suggestion a while back about the use of electrical tape (or other type of adhesive tape) over the zerks to help keep them dirt away. It's cheap, easy and works well.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by seasick
    tscheezy posted a suggestion a while back about the use of electrical tape (or other type of adhesive tape) over the zerks to help keep them dirt away. It's cheap, easy and works well.
    Yeah, Tscheezy's tape trick is the hot ticket. That works really well at keeping the dirt out and saves a lot of time.

~danno

oly
    mtbr member
    Over a year of typical Pac NW conditions with only needing to take the main pivot apart once to clean and lube. Casey actually sent me a rebuild kit long ago, but the relube worked fine instead of a rebuild.

No, that's not phonetic
    I just stripped my 6-Pack down to the individual frame bits after one year of heavy use. Everything was absolutely MINT. I swapped the shafts between the pivots because the bb pivot sees the highest stresses, but it was a bit of a formality since I could discerne almost no difference in wear in any of the shafts. Only the main pivot had the most superficial polishing of the ano finish when you looked really close. Everything is snug and smoooooth.

I guess I should add that I have about 7 year's total personal experience with Turner pivots (one XCE 2.5 years, another XCE 2 years, 5-Spot 2 years, 6-Pack 1 year) and in that time I have had to replace one single main pivot's hardware due to wear.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 10-17-2005 at 02:35 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

~~~~~~~~
    I have only worn out a drive side HL pivot on my rfx after a couple years with lots of wet riding despite regular maintenance.

One of our homer crew has a 97ish vintage bike with zirc less HL pivots and he only occasionally applies some chain type lube externally when it starts squeaking and has never developed any play/wear.

The only other issue I've had is with the o-rings getting loose.

Hey tscheezy, what is that gold/brass looking part?

It's a Turner!
    I was still waiting for them to break in after two years of heavy riding and extreme pedal torque (from trials moves - lurches, surges, jap-slaps, etc.). The HL pivots especially. I finally caved and filed grooves in the HL bushings (Tscheezy's method) because the fit it so tight it's too hard to get any lube in there. I can't see these things ever wearing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikesalot
    I finally caved and filed grooves in the HL bushings
    the bushings are the plastic parts.
    on my worn out pivot it was the axle that wore, replacing only the bushings did not eliminate the play.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

1 new set in 10 years

about 1 or 2 years into my burners life, i killed a der hanger and by then the bolt pattern had changed so dt mailed a new rear end, sans bushings, so i had to knock out the originals and replace them in the new rear. over the next year one developed a crack in the shoulder so i ordered up a new kit which came without a bill. other than that, no probs at all and ill assume it was due to me needing to punch out the original bushings resulting in the crack.

before i got the flux, id just disassemble the thing and relube by hand instead of using the grease fittings and id do that about once a year or longer as needed. keep in mind there was 5 years where i rode it 5 plus days a week in the dusty and rough arizona desert. now thats dependability! i wonder how much better it could be with the groved bits and the use of the grease fittings? i suppose i wont have to manually service the 2 new frames for many years. gawd i love this stuff!
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    The gold thing is a brass washer I use under the 8mm nylock nut on the HL. I like a thin washer in there and was out of stainless at the time.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

... I guess you won't be
    I attempted one night to file some grooves Tscheezy style, into my HL pivot - I gave up cuz the pivot surface was so hard and I just didn't have the motivation to give it what it would take to make the mod! Oh, well.....it's pretty easy to just remove the two tiny bolts and lube em up manually....

I usually replace them after two years [five years on a burner - two bushing kits], although I had a problem with my BB pivot on my two-year old 5-spot, after replacing [well, actually all the pivots since I had the hood open....] it w/ a new pivot.....it still had some play in the new pivot after only one ride....I called Greg, at Turner, and he sent me a new pivot for free - thanks Greg!, he explained that sometimes there are variances in manufacturing, etc.... I installed the new pivot, and it was quiet for a week, but now the " tink, pedal, tink, pedal, tink" is back....I do tend to have a nasty habit of tail whipping/cross-up'ing when doing jumps/drops that wreak havoc on my rear rim alignment, not to mention stressing the pivots.....I have not yet disassembled the rear end to see if it is my troublesome main bb pivot [I still hope it's my platform pedal bearings that are loose], but will do so this weekend to be sure....more later!

It's annoying, but I'm getting used to the noise!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    I attempted one night to file some grooves Tscheezy style, into my HL pivot - I gave up cuz the pivot surface was so hard and I just didn't have the motivation to give it what it would take to make the mod! Oh, well.....it's pretty easy to just remove the two tiny bolts and lube em up manually....
    I've entertained the idea of cutting the grooves in the HL pivots myself but I just can't bring myself around to troubling with it. I take the grease gun to all the zerk fitting about every 6-8 weeks and go through the ritual of trying to lube the HLs, but it always feels like nothing is going in.

Last time it occured to me to put the Prep-M tube in a hot water bath for several minutes. This worked very well. For the first time ever I knew the HL pivots were taking lube like the other pivots. At about the third squeeze I could finally feel the heavy resistance felt at the other pivots. If one is servicing journal bearing in cold weather I think the hot water bath would make life much easier.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ohhhhhhhhh, yer good! buy the man a beer. thanx clyde!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

2 yrs so far

Monthly or semi monthly greasing is all I've done.

mtbr member
    The Romic bushings lasted some 300h (replaced with betd parts) but the Turner ones just keep on working.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

mtbr member
    May 2004

5 Years

and still going strong.

Kiwi that Flew
    Bring that thread back...

Question 1. My 18 month old 2010 DW Flux has started to get very 'loose' in all of the upper pivots. Have checked the bolts and they are all tight. Is this sort of wear in the UK normal? (Shock DU's are still okay too)

Question 2. If this is normal wear then what to I need to buy. Just the bushings or would I need a full rebuild kit.

Thanks if you've got some advice.

Regards
    Deano

Edit: Also should add that my HL Flux lasted 5 years iwth

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would call Greg at Turner, I just got my DW Spot and some of the upper rocker clevis ends and pivot shafts were out on length so he sent me some shims to go under the bushing and perfect! I've had some HL ones last 3 yrs in dusty conditions riding 2-3x a week and I'm heavy and hard on stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This was after about one year and 2500 miles. I do grease it every two rides.

Kiwi that Flew

How long have your pivots lasted?

Quote Originally Posted by eiri View Post
    This was after about one year and 2500 miles. I do grease it every two rides.

Looks like I'll have to disassemble mine to see if the shaft is worn like yours. Thanks for your reply's.
    Deano

--- deanopatoni ---

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast