mtbr member
    Mar 2009

How do you take care of/protect your polished frame?

Hello, I am the proud owner of a new polished Flux. It is much nicer in person than what I was expecting and I would like to keep it looking good for as long as possible. I live in AZ and the gravel thrown from tires is the equivalent of sandblasting. I plan on putting 3m clear bra material on the most susceptible areas but how durable is the polished finish? Will the unprotected parts dull quickly? What do you guys recommend to protect the frame finish? Has anyone applied clear coat or clear powder on theirs?
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 02-13-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't have a Polished Turner, but I do have a polished vintage American M-16 that is polished. Polishing it is easy. Buy yourself a tub of mothers aluminum polish or similar from the auto parts store. When it starts to lose its bright shine, clean it with soap and water, then use a clean , soft towel to apply the polish onto the frame. When you see black (that is the oxidation) appear on the rag/ polish, stop and use a different clean soft rag to polish it off. Use a clean part of the rag each time. Repeat as necessary until you get the desired result. Then apply a coat of wax and you are good to go for a long time. I wouldn't clear coat it as that makes a finish that is easy to maintain impossible to maintain.

As for how quickly the parts dull, that is hard for me to answer as I am in an entirely different environment as you ( I am in Minnesota). For frame of reference though, I polish my tunnel on my snowmobile once a year. Towards the end of the year it isn't as nice looking and bright as the beginning, but its not bad. That is in an environment where it is frozen, then warm, frozen then warm over and over. If you want advice on polishing , the guys at motorcycle shops, or semi truck detailing guys are the people with the info. I don't do any wet sanding on any of my bicycles and get a mirror like finish on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sno is correct, Mothers is great. As for the little dings from stones flicked off the front tire... Polish a lot more or go at it with a little courser rubbing compound, then Mothers. I would not use the 3M tape as it ends up looking like shit around the edges, which to me is worse than some dulling under the frame that is out of sight. It is a mtb and it will get beat up, applying tape that gets dirty all around edges only draws attention.

I suggest a paste wax now and then to seal the frame from sweat and soil minerals, that keeps the oxidation away as well and when it is time to wash the bike, use Zip Wax car wash or similar product that is soap and waxy something in it. Leaves it nice and shiny and less water spotting!

Now with flavor!!
    The baggier shorts I wear keeps the top tube of my raw DHR pretty shiny.

I bet a mumu would get the whole frame.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
    I don't have a Polished Turner, but I do have a polished vintage American M-16 that is polished. Polishing it is easy. Buy yourself a tub of mothers aluminum polish or similar from the auto parts store. When it starts to lose its bright shine, clean it with soap and water, then use a clean , soft towel to apply the polish onto the frame. When you see black (that is the oxidation) appear on the rag/ polish, stop and use a different clean soft rag to polish it off. Use a clean part of the rag each time. Repeat as necessary until you get the desired result. Then apply a coat of wax and you are good to go for a long time. I wouldn't clear coat it as that makes a finish that is easy to maintain impossible to maintain.

As for how quickly the parts dull, that is hard for me to answer as I am in an entirely different environment as you ( I am in Minnesota). For frame of reference though, I polish my tunnel on my snowmobile once a year. Towards the end of the year it isn't as nice looking and bright as the beginning, but its not bad. That is in an environment where it is frozen, then warm, frozen then warm over and over. If you want advice on polishing , the guys at motorcycle shops, or semi truck detailing guys are the people with the info. I don't do any wet sanding on any of my bicycles and get a mirror like finish on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Sno is correct, Mothers is great. As for the little dings from stones flicked off the front tire... Polish a lot more or go at it with a little courser rubbing compound, then Mothers. I would not use the 3M tape as it ends up looking like shit around the edges, which to me is worse than some dulling under the frame that is out of sight. It is a mtb and it will get beat up, applying tape that gets dirty all around edges only draws attention.

I suggest a paste wax now and then to seal the frame from sweat and soil minerals, that keeps the oxidation away as well and when it is time to wash the bike, use Zip Wax car wash or similar product that is soap and waxy something in it. Leaves it nice and shiny and less water spotting!
    Thanks for the advice Sno and Turner! I was seriously contemplating having the frame clear powder coated but from the direction of your replies and some other forums I'm realizing that wouldn't be the best route. If Mother's polish doesn't work I guess I can always fall back on what kidwoo recommended.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I like semichrome polish, has a nice shop smell to it