mtbr member
    Feb 2004

How do you convince loved ones of the value of a $4000 5 spot

I am not sure this is the forum for this but.... My girlfriend and parents do not see the value of the bike I just bought especially since I don't even have it yet, how do you convince them this is a good buy.

Thanks

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjt5858
    I am not sure this is the forum for this but.... My girlfriend and parents do not see the value of the bike I just bought especially since I don't even have it yet, how do you convince them this is a good buy.

Thanks
    You can't.
    You have two options neither of which you will have much influence over:

a) They will appreciate the quality of the design and execution, and the cost of top shelf performance and workmanship. But then they will probably have to be bikers for that, and will likely try to take your new scoot from you.

or

b) They will understand your passion for the sport, through careful and thoughtful observation of your near obsessiveness for all things related to it, and the time and effort dedictated to cycling....yeah...if you're reeeaaaallll lucky.

Basically either they'll accecpt you're not a total loon and must be serious about biking or not. Oh yea, you can't do much about your family but if your GF sincerly understands...Marry her!

G'luck pardner!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    reson why I'm single!!

no need for any justification other than my Banker!

mtbr member
    Thanks
    You revealed the real price, mistake!! I always calculate in bike-shop-prices and tell-girlfriend-prices. The ratio is 2:1 -sometimes as in my 5-Spot case it's even 3:1. Oh and if she don't ask -don't start telling

Now that You've done it you must make sure she sees and understands your passion. How to do that for you specifically I don't know. But I remember when I took my 5-Spot and my girlfriend to the local shop on a busy Saturday. All conversations ended, all where silent, everybody stared at the bike (perhaps one or two had a glance at my girlfriend too -I didn't notice ) She later told me that she understood all the hype about the bike at that moment when the shop were totally quiet for 30 seconds. Also I don't care whether she wants to hear about my rides or not: When I come home -I tell her everything enthusiastically... About the entire ride and what a great bike I bought and I wear my BIG I-just-rode-for-4-hours grin when i do it.

She's starting to really understand. We've now come to the point where the she actually thinks bikes can be good-looking and it should stand inside the house. And I've recently been sent away on a 5 day biking holiday with my friends and an "I think it will be a good time for you and the guys and I know how much it means to you... Enjoy"

I think I should marry this one ... Or not, one could buy a high-end bike for the cost of a wedding dress

/Kasper

Still chuggin' along
    Ask her if she would get a Mercedes Benz if she could. I had to use that to get my husband to agree to my XCE purchase. And the bike doesn't cost as much as a Mercedes sooooo, since I can't afford the car, at least I can have the equivalent in a bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper
    You revealed the real price, mistake!! I always calculate in bike-shop-prices and tell-girlfriend-prices. The ratio is 2:1 -sometimes as in my 5-Spot case it's even 3:1. Oh and if she don't ask -don't start telling

/Kasper

He will learn this rule soon. Thank God my Burner only cost $1500. :^)

mtbr member
    Ya gotta find out what their weakness is...

Find some jewlery, or a computer, kitchen apliance, or something tlike that they really like....then help them see that the most expensive one is the best buy.Once that has been purchased for them, they can't really say much about your new bike.

Although you maybe running yourself into banckruptcy...but thats another issue.

Or do what I do and lie. It's a white lie right! Make sure to have all new bike parts shipped to your work address. But make sure your work knows they are bike parts and not boxes of dope.

Most important, NEVER let on to a loved one about this web site, ESSPECIALY your avatar name.

I got my wife thinking about road bikes, and now she want's a $2500 Carbon Fibre bike...so I ordered my 5-Spot yesterday.

Have fun
    Last edited by Lambone; 03-12-2004 at 05:15 PM.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Why is it any of their business?

Is there more to this story that you haven't told like you owe them money or something?
    Just wondering.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

They just don't see the point

They correctly see tyhat their is a lot of really messed up stuff in this world and spending $4000 on a bike should probably, though I did it, be a priority. Thus I spend a lot of time trying to justify my biking addiction (love of biking and love of owning beautiful bikes). Also since I roadbike as well, they don't understand that you can't use a roadbike anywhere

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You can't......

Thanks
    To a non bike infected soul, such a purchase is stupid. Heck! You can buy a Yamaha YZ 250 for a grand more. So, just buy it an take the ribbing.

Jaybo