mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How do I put 700# spring on DHX?

Hi,
    Sorry for the lame question, but I cannot come up with a good way to do this. Sounds easy I know, but it is not as simple as it seems.

I need to compress the spring about a half an inch so that when I slide it back onto the shock, it is compressed enough for me to put the top collar on. I tried somebodys advice of compressing the spring in a vice and then using zip ties to hold it in the compressed state. After that, when the spring is on, cutting the ties. Sounds good, but the zip ties I have snap from the spring force.

Aside from trying the zip tie-method again with about a dozen ties, does anybody else have any tricks?

Lay off the Levers
    The best way is to get ahold of a motorcycle spring compresser....like if you had one you'd be posting right?

You could probably get away with far less than half an inch compression with a little extra effort. Even 4 half-inch-thick industrial zips tended strech and pop under tension.

I eventually got so frustrated that I just gorrilla'd it using a pair of vice grips to compress two middle coil winds about a quarter inch on each side. It works but you must be very careful the VG does not slip off, and never point the spring or the VG's at yourself.
    It worked but it also stripped some PC off the coils.

At this point if I come across someone selling a motorcycle coil compression tool for a decent price I'd probably get it just for peace of mind.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

grumpy northerner
    Mar 2004
    I used two pieces of nylon webbing with cam buckles to fit an 800lb 2.3" spring to my DHX. I put the spring in a headset press and compressed it, then threaded the webbing through and pulled that as tight as I could. Once I unwound the press it expanded somewhat, but it was enough to get it onto the shock.

The webbing is thin enough to be pulled out once you undo the buckles, as long as you compress the shock in situ on the bike while you do it. I'm not actually sure how I'm going to get my 800lb spring off, but I'll cross that bridge in a month or two

I thought a 700lb spring was small enough to fit uncompressed, actually - what length is your spring?
    I haven't fallen off, I'm just having a rest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Without measuring the spring, I would say that it is about 3/4 or so longer than the 600# that came on the shock. It is a new DHX 5 on a new 06 RFX.

Also in regards to the size, I noticed that the 600# stated 600# X 2.35, but the 700# states 700# X 2.30.

I ordered direct from FOX, so I would hope that it is correct. Others have stated that they needed to get crative when installing a 700# so I do not think it just slips and fits right off the bat.

Thanks for the replies. I may look into buying a motorcycle spring compressor if I can find one today and the price is alright.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer2003
    Without measuring the spring, I would say that it is about 3/4 or so longer than the 600# that came on the shock. It is a new DHX 5 on a new 06 RFX.

Also in regards to the size, I noticed that the 600# stated 600# X 2.35, but the 700# states 700# X 2.30.

I ordered direct from FOX, so I would hope that it is correct. Others have stated that they needed to get crative when installing a 700# so I do not think it just slips and fits right off the bat.

Thanks for the replies. I may look into buying a motorcycle spring compressor if I can find one today and the price is alright.
    2.30 or 2.35 is basically the same. That's just the amount you can compress it without the coils binding. You just want it to be slightly longer that 2.0 to allow for the 2" shock stroke plus a little preload.

I ran into a guy the other day running a 700# on his 06 RFX and said he weighed 185 (190 with gear). Seemed a bit much to me, but he had a 66 RC2X on the front and hammered the down. I think he told me that Fox recommended the 700#, but I'm sure they shoot high to protect the shock, not for the best ride.