Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

How 'Bombproof' is a 5 Spot?

So I'm getting into a few larger jumps and drops these days... not 'hucking' or anything, more like 4-6 feet vertical, maybe 12-14ft horizontal, so what I'd call Medium-sized jumps.

5.3 Spot (2006 model) running Fox DHX Air 5.

Question is - should I get a 'meatier' bike for this stuff or will my 5 Spot hold up?

Lay off the Levers
    IMO, You'll have more fun on a RFX. It's not just the amt of the travel or the beef of the bike, the geometry really adds quite a bit of confidence and a greater sense of fun(lesser sense of pucker) to things. It'll encourage you to do more.

The 4-6' drops are subjective. It's not just the ones you make, its the ones you miss that hurt the bike. Smoothness and gentle transitions also play a role.

All in all, if you want more aggro riding, consider going up a level on the frame. I did, and was much happier going aggro on the RFX than the Spot. I miss that RFX, a LOT.

Also consider the weights of the '08 RFX and Spot frames aren't that different.
    All in all depending on your weight, your smoothness, and the size and frequency of the drops you're doing, it can be very possible to overwhelm the bike and/or shorten it's lifespan.

Another plus is RFX's will be very affordable once the new steroid-enhanced '09s come out.(read: big-drop bike)
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 04-27-2008 at 02:07 PM.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    agreed. sounds like its time to move up. if ya get a rfx now, itll be sorta, kinda, almost as light as a spot build, within 3 to 5 lbs dependin on spec. if ya wait till next year, its gonna get a facelift and more heft leanin more towards the almost extinct highline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I miss that RFX, a LOT.
    not for long buddy. not for long. done yet?
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    A guy came to pick up an old fork from me last week that I put up for sale. It was an old MX Pro 105. He said he needed a stronger fork for his type of riding, in which he rides XC, but also freerides, with 1-2 foot drops and logs and rocks (which don't exist locally).

Either this is want of stunt riding on the lightest bike possible, or people just have an odd definition of their riding and don't assess themselves truthfully.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    not for long buddy. not for long. done yet?
    Nope. Clearly I need to do my building when the Family's not around as I can't get 10 mins without being summoned. I guess that means I'm loved.

i hear ya. i really dig it when im down in the shop concentratin on a project and candycorn calls me upstairs. when i get there its, "sweety, can ya bring (insert item stored in the basement 2' from where i was) up to me please?" grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... back down for her widgit, back up for the delivery and a thank you kiss, then back down to the man cave. but for how long? did i mention i hate stairs after the ankle injury?

keep pluggin away pal. feel the love of a good family.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Rides like wrecking ball
    Unless you feel that your Spot is holding you back or feel the need to stimulate the economy I say "run what you brung". A rider's abuse vs a bike's intended purpose is such a huge grey area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

yep. just ask aqua and his 2 broken spot ft tri's doin the same 5 or 6' "jumps", not hucks. not sayin some guys like superstock arent smoother but this is way past the spots intended grey area.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Step up and get the RFX, no reason not to. You can easily sell your Spot to fund a used or discounted new model. No draw backs, climbs excellent, perfect all around bike, no question.

Rides like wrecking ball
    yep. just ask aqua and his 2 broken spot ft tri's doin the same 5 or 6' "jumps", not hucks. not sayin some guys like superstock arent smoother but this is way past the spots intended grey area.
    Ya really think? He's not talking about a 6' pedal-kick drop to flat. With the speed required to hit his gap I think it would be rather smooth. But it depends on so many things it's impossible to e-guess. If he was buying a new Turner I'd recommend the RFX, but since he already owns the Spot I say give it a whirl. If the Spot is receiving only a very minor tweak to accept the 160mm FR forks next year I say he will be ok. Most people on this forum giving recommendations are over-biked anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

... I guess you won't be
    maybe so, but Aqua weighs in at over 240lbs.....so your mileage may indeed vary......but if you are running a gravity dropper, your gravity will be lowered thus contributing to a lighter impact on the bike due to the revised rocker arm leverage ratio, if you are running Sultan 5.4 lever arm rockers, not the 5.2 ones of course.....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

a tight kick sound
    I recently sold my rfx (5 pack) (no big shocker to many of you) to go back to a 5 spot ( I really do think there is a diff between the 5 pack and 5 spot). The 5 spot is solid and unless you are huge (XL) it should be fine. Especially with trannies on all your jumps.

I might be one of the strange ones but I find the geo of the 5 spot is well...spot on.

i do really think but thats my opinion in a sea of the same. and yes, im overbiked 90% of the time. and i dont think aqua is 240. hes tall as a tower but hes thin as a anorexic teen model. i do see what yer sayin but i worry about stuffin a v8 into a pinto too. sounds to me like its time to meet the game with the right ball. im old and cautious, what can i say.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Hi - thanks for the ideas Guys...

The reason I ask is that although my 5 Spot is an '06 model I bought it brand new just 3 months ago, I love it, and don't want to kill it! It also has the Fox DHX 5 Air. I guess my concern is about the frame breaking or the DHX crapping out.

I'm not dropping to flat anywhere - the stuff I ride is always gap jumps, sloping drop-ins etc that have reasonably good transitions.

I bought the 5 Spot thinking it would be my 'do everything' bike, but am now considering it's more accurately positioned as the ultimate 'trail bike' rather than something that'd be equally at home at Morzine, Whistler, etc.. as riding around the trails.

I've seen a 2005 6 Pack frame for sale for not stupid money, but it ain't cheap either. So am considering whether I should buy it and build it up with spare parts and maybe some 2006 Marzocchi 66s. A quick calculation and I reckon I could get the whole 6 Pack built for ~$2k.

BUT - My Spot is a 5.3 Spot, so I only get 0.7ins extra travel with the 6 Pack. I know the 6 Pack geometry is a little different - slacker HT/ST angles, 0.5ins shorter TT, 1" higher BB, but will a 2005 6 Pack really be much different to my 2006 5.3 Spot?

yes. its built to take the abuse ya describe and offer a more forgiving geo so you can take the abuse you describe. more good news: ya only need 1 66. think of the money youll save! a 2k pack? whats not to love? buy, build and ride.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    Digger, I had an '06 Pack with a 66SL along with my 5.1-now-5.5 Spot w/ pike DA. They're worlds apart. You'll love the big bike for bigger more aggro riding. It'll make the Spot feel like an XC bike esp if you put a top rank coil shock on the Pack.

Dropping another 2K on a bike is no small decision, but if you build the Pack up for aggro riding there will be no concerns of overlap. You might have a hard time staying off the Pack though.

If Aqua is 240# then he must be 7' tall.

not so super...
    I know of a white 06 RFX w/ a 66SL that will be for sale soon!
    Nothing to see here.

... I guess you won't be
    I believe, the last time the scientists measured Aqua, he was at 7'-7" +/- a rocker plate or two....

mtbr member
    SSinga - can you send me a description and a rough price pls? Any pics you have would be helpful - oh, and of course size?

My email is simonpearson AT yahoo DOT com

Thanks.

if that doesnt work, i just got word of a brand new '07 or '08 large rfx ft tri w/ a 2 month old tnt rear, king h/set and some dt shock for $1050. dont know colors yet but if yer into it ill put ya in touch with the current owner. a warranty frame the original owner gave up waitin for. dont know the details but ya can pm me or sparrow.

and aqua is 240 lbs in cc units.
    No, I'm NOT back!

thats right living legend
    more good news: ya only need 1 66. think of the money youll save!
    Now THAT was funny!

The British and their fork/"fork's" terminology's, always cracks me up.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

... I guess you won't be
    CactusCorn Units?

you catch on fast, dont ya?

have yer trails thawed and dried yet? we just started ridin again last week. life is good!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Thanks Cactuscorn - looking at the RFX geo I need a Medium though.

Anyone got any leads on a Medium RFX or 6 Pack for sale? Don't care if frame only or whole bike....

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    but also freerides, with 1-2 foot drops and logs and rocks
    Sick!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast