Baked Alaskan

How about a Sultan update???

So the whole 29er thing has me thinking about Turner #3, or maybe selling the Spot frame and replacing it with the Sultan for the faster XC days. So now that you demo guys have been on them for awhile, how about giving us an update on the ride?
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

not so super...
    JNC's hamster powered internet connection is down but I'm sure he'll have some good words to say based on what he has told me.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    ...hehe, thanks for the back-up Sean I'm down the street on the T1 connection checking my mail.....

Chris, I did a very brief review after the first couple weeks of ownership...I am awaiting the arrival of my new Hopes so I can put the Roco air to the test this weekend. Should prove interesting from initial basement "bounce" tests

In a nutshell, I say..."sell the spot & get it on with the "man wheels"!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I read a post somewhere that the Sultan might be getting some geometry tweaks based on rider inputs at the dirt demo....can anyone validate this? I'm also waiting for more reviews before plunging for the sultan.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    it was slated for the 1st '07 production run along side the new spot so i doubt it, but anythings possible. dt? whats the big word?
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by trikobe
    I read a post somewhere that the Sultan might be getting some geometry tweaks based on rider inputs at the dirt demo....can anyone validate this? I'm also waiting for more reviews before plunging for the sultan.
    Really? What kind of tweaks? I loved the ride of the Sultan when I demo'd it in UT, I will consider it next year as a replacement for my Burner most likely, the big wheels and the newer suspension design made it ride a little nicer than my Burner, plus it uses beefier tubing like the Burner so it's an ideal XC/trail machine for me.

The only thing I wanted diff was a higher front end, the 4" Reba was not enough fork IMO, but the bike still rolled down the steep rocky chutes very nicely, an adj 4-5" fork would be ideal I think.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    an adj 4-5" fork would be ideal I think.
    good call. i like it man. hell, even 3 - 5 would be nice much like the talus on my flux. perfect for ugly steep climbs and nasty downs.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Baked Alaskan

its a tough one

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    In a nutshell, I say..."sell the spot & get it on with the "man wheels"!!!
    Well at least I have a little time before I have to make the decision, but I'd rather have the Sultan than a road bike, which I'm considering again. Then I could put skinnies on for pavement training rides too, yeah, that's it, that's the ticket...

The Spot has brought me so much joy though - it'll be hard to part with it. I just don't think I can justify having three Turners and the Pugs. Although I've always liked Two Turners Not Enough's handle.

Hmmm...

mtbr member
    ...for those interested, there will not be ANY geometry tweaks to the production sultan. The will be ar evised rocker a la 07 RFX style & a larger air can for the FOX SOCK...otherwise, why mess with a great setup?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Whats does yours weigh JNC? It felt lighter to me than my Burner when I rode it, I thought I heard DT say they weighed 29lbs and my Burner weighs less than that.

mtbr member
    Whats does yours weigh JNC? It felt lighter to me than my Burner when I rode it, I thought I heard DT say they weighed 29lbs and my Burner weighs less than that.
    ....in stock form it weighed in at exactly 28.5#. That was a large frame with heavy wheels/ cranks/ bars. I should be receiving my I9 wheels very soon...that with some carbon cranks (Truvativ Noirs) & bars should easily drop at least a pound off. My target weight is around 27#....I don't want it so light that it is emasculated, however I intended it to be my XC ride. I haven't weighed the Roco Air yet to compare with the RP23...but I doubt there is much difference in weight (on the other hand, it is a good $200 less in price)

rr
    I don't do PC
    ....in stock form it weighed in at exactly 28.5#. That was a large frame with heavy wheels/ cranks/ bars. I should be receiving my I9 wheels very soon...that with some carbon cranks (Truvativ Noirs) & bars should easily drop at least a pound off. My target weight is around 27#....I don't want it so light that it is emasculated, however I intended it to be my XC ride. I haven't weighed the Roco Air yet to compare with the RP23...but I doubt there is much difference in weight (on the other hand, it is a good $200 less in price)
    Wow, thats good to hear, would love to get the build under 28lbs. I thought I heard the stock wheels were on the light/less durable side, so the I9 wheelset is lighter and durable enough for your weight? Guess my fork choice would be heavier than the Reba too.

mtbr member
    Wow, thats good to hear, would love to get the build under 28lbs. I thought I heard the stock wheels were on the light/less durable side, so the I9 wheelset is lighter and durable enough for your weight? Guess my fork choice would be heavier than the Reba too.

...should be a no brainer to get under 28#....seriously.

I replaced the Martas w/ Hope Mono Mini's(2 piece rotors). The I9 build will have the same rims & I am sure I will drop some weight with the difference in spoke/ nipple weight (not sure about the difference w/ hubs...tho the WTB's are not nice at all). The afterburner cranks are around 200g heavier than the noirs as well. Likely close to 75g savings on the bar as well. Like I said....a pound should be easy enough to lose with the changes. I will be running the Specialized Resolution 2's currently on the bike tubeless on the I9 wheels w/ stans rim tape.

I'm not really concerned about the weight, relatively speaking, but if I can drop a pound and maintain strength of components...why not?

mtbr member
    ....interesting read, eh?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Baked Alaskan

there's a spy among us...

....interesting read, eh?
    Aren't the E guys coming out with a 29er too??? Perhaps a little research on what the competition is doing .. and doing better.

p.s. If you want to unload them Martas...

mtbr member
    ...for those interested, there will not be ANY geometry tweaks to the production sultan. The will be ar evised rocker a la 07 RFX style & a larger air can for the FOX SOCK...otherwise, why mess with a great setup?
    Does it mean that XXL is coming with cable routed UNDER top tube?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    p.s. If you want to unload them Martas...
    ...sorry, they sold fast!