mtbr member

How to $#%#@ a Highline-101

Here is your definitive guide to how to screw up the bearings on your very own Turner Highline. Now, you must take each step seriously, failure to do so might not result in the outcome of @#@$^% up your Highline. All the steps are important, do not skip a step, and do not take a step lightly.

Step 1: Chose a wrench, or mechanic who has never worked on a Highline. Preferrably, one who drinks late at night, and who forgets where he puts important tools. Having a wrench who likes to adapt tools, and who likes to "use whats within reach" is also a plus. Also, if he/she has a personal interest in the frame, and really wants to ride it badly, would assist in the process of getting a #@$%& 'ed up frame.

For step 1, I chose a competent enough wrench, good guy, smart enough to the point of being a bit nerdy, but who is willing to work late. Mine also likes Guiness, which was a plus for me and trying to get to the point of a #@#$%& 'ed up Highline...

Step 2: Make sure your wrench can't find the tools he needs and will adapt quickly and without a second thought.

For step 2, I didn't tell him where the bearing press tool was, so he made one up on the spot.

Step 3: Make sure a time constraint is placed on your wrench, something really specific like, "This frame needs to go to PC tomorrow morning, so it can be back by XXX date for XXX ride..." It also behooves you to take advantage of the wrenches previous missed timelines and other projects that have been sitting in the corner. Pressuring him about delegating duties would also help...

For step 3, I made it very clear when it needed to be done, to the point of threatening to put a lock on the fridge.

Step 4: This is a subjective step, largely up to your particular wrench, but if you followed steps 1-3, he'll follow it with ease. Step 4 involves the use of a 3/4" 1/2" drive socket to be used to "catch" a bearing on your highline. Preferrably, your wrench will make sure he operates with less than optimal light, and with more than optimal Guiness.

For Step 4, my wrench was adept enough to think that 3/4" was plenty to catch the oversized interior needle bearing of the Highline. Furthermore, his "adapted" bearing press was perfect and left just enough room to #@#$%& up his Highline's first bearing pressed out.

And now, for the results, please see the pics below, they include a list of tools used, and pictures of my very own #@$%& 'ed up Highline....

Oh, Greg, I'm going to need a new bearing, I'll give you a call....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    why'd you do that anyway? was the bearing shot or was it pure boredom that led to the strip down?

Outcast
    Congradulations! You are now qualified for an entry level job at many of the local bike shops in my area.
    Maybe you weren't drinking the right kind of stout?
    My condolences.

mtbr member

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by nickhart
    why'd you do that anyway? was the bearing shot or was it pure boredom that led to the strip down?
    They must come out before getting powdercoated. Well, not "must" but "should" is another word for it. Whats done is done, and I'll deal with it and move on.

Roy
    mtbr member
    What color are you going to have it powder coated? I look forward to the pics.

Lay off the Levers
    Hey, at least you didn't jack up the pivot shell.
    I''ll only cost you a litte time and a few bucks.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    They must come out before getting powdercoated. Well, not "must" but "should" is another word for it. Whats done is done, and I'll deal with it and move on.
    Powder-coated? What a girl.

You've been reading too many FM & Bikezilla threads and now you have paint-envy.

[SIZE=1]What color ya gettin'?[/SIZE]
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA

You've been reading too many FM & Bikezilla threads and now you have paint-envy.

I hear that REGRETFUL RED is the new black.
    There's nothing like kicking a guy when he's down, huh?

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA

Nothing wrong with some fresh color to spiff up a ride. I have two new colors on the way for the Spot and Pack front tri's myself...

p.s. The band has nothing to do with anything other than me not wanting to get left behind with the smilies.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Lay off the Levers
    Tease, tease, tease... where's your bike pix?
    Heh heh, It's good to to be on other end of the stick this time.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Tease, tease, tease... where's your bike pix?
    Heh heh, It's good to to be on other end of the stick this time.
    'Zilla, ain't it fun to be a dick?

Now with flavor!!
    Can I use these techniques to @#$% up my DHR as well?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member

Definately...

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Can I use these techniques to @#$% up my DHR as well?
    I believe you can, I am available for barmitzfa's and weddings as well....

a tight kick sound
    I feel better now.......
    Least I'm not the only one who likes messn' stuff up on accident
    Good luck fixin it. Last time my mistake took a month at the machine shop. Those guys are amazing...can fix anything!!!

Booner

mtbr member
    thanks for your nice explanation.

with great picture

I will try as soon as I receive mine

mtbr member

A needle bearing on a Turner?

Is this only for the Highline?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Dhr

The DHR has needle bearings in it's linkage. We have used needles in it for 6 years.

Esq. Make sure the powder man does a real-real good job of masking, or you are in for a razor blade marathon, think British Steel, or them seals won't stay in the grooves.

Contact Greg for new bearings and bolts. It will be easier than reusing anyway!

DT

Bike Hoor
    See guys.. other than Turner and Intense.. what manufacturer has factory guys on here giving actual tips related to actual bikes (as opposed to being incredibly defensive and whiny)???
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com