Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    not so super...

Hope Tech X2 brake

In an effort to continue my e-biking...Are any of you Homers using this brake? Care to throw out some pros/cons - likes/dislikes???

I'm thinking of selling off my Moto V2's and switching to the X2 with f/r 183mm rotors but I just don't know if I want to give up the awesome braking control of the Moto. Help me out.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    So hit the stop gap with the Tech M4's....I'm LOVING mine!

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    So hit the stop gap with the Tech M4's....I'm LOVING mine!
    I had thought about a M4 & X2 combo but not sure if there is any benefit to that.
    Nothing to see here.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Hey SSinga !

I'm using a Tech M4 183 mm in front and a Tech X2 183 mm for the rear brake and for my terrain which is mostly rolling wooded single track it is a great combo ! Don't know how it would be for super long steep descents though........but I only get to do that stuff when I visit my brothers turf ! The new Tech's seem to be a tad more powerful and I dig the new levers compared to my older Hopes !

Edit : Pros they have been very quite and trouble free..........I ride my DW Sultan at least three times a week and they see plenty of trail dust , water spray , and a bit of mud ! I love the feel of these brakes ( modulation ) ........for that matter I have been a fan of Hopes for quite awhile ! Yeah , I've been E - Riding a bit myself after slipping off a large slippery log and landing full force on my right shoulder the other day ! Oh well.....can't think of much I don't like about them ( at least not yet ) ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 05-26-2011 at 08:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've got some x2 coming on monday to replace the mono-mini's i have on my 5 spot...i have really found the minis to be great brakes and significantly better than any other brake i have used...i have had no problems with them during the past 4 years. my friend had the m4's and couldn't recommend i go with the dual caliper...but that is for my style of riding.. i think the improvements to the x2's are great and my mono-minis are going to live on my wifes bike for years to come...i will let you know if they suck.

mtbr member
    The only real improvement of the M4's is modulation...if you don't need that, the X2's are just fine.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    The only real improvement of the M4's is modulation...if you don't need that, the X2's are just fine.

Maybe what I need is a new Tech lever for my front V2 and a 183mm rotor plus a new X2 for the rear.
    Nothing to see here.

Knollician
    I have both the Tech V2s and Tech M4s. First, the Tech lever is stupid sweet. The adjustments actually work, and have a huge range of adjustment. The new lever...well...it is as nice as I have ever felt.

I have the V2s in 203/183 on the Highline and the M4s in 183/160 on the Spot. Coming from Formula The Ones, the M4s feel as strong or stronger, and modulate superbly. The V2s on the otherhand feel like on/off switches in comparison. We will see how they feel at Whistler, I suspect they will rock. The M4s are a fantastic choice...do whatever you can to get a hold of a set of tech levers.

I do get a small bit of noise from both brakes, but I suspect it is more of an issue with the pads glazing due to the short bursts of braking we have here vs the extended braking. In Downieville, the brakes were silent.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    X2 setup on my Sultan, 183/160. My first Hope brake experience so I can't compare to other models, but these are by far the best discs I've ridden. Modulation is great, very little fade with the floating rotors & true one finger braking (I'm no light weight either, ~225lbs ready to ride). The adjustments on the Tech lever are well thoughts out and work. As mentioned, they do make a bit of noise when glazed and do squeal in the wet.

Problem is now I can't stand swapping back to the 203/185 J7 setup on my RFX so a set of M4s or V2s may be in my future.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    X2 setup on my Sultan, 183/160. My first Hope brake experience so I can't compare to other models, but these are by far the best discs I've ridden. Modulation is great, very little fade with the floating rotors & true one finger braking (I'm no light weight either, ~225lbs ready to ride). The adjustments on the Tech lever are well thoughts out and work. As mentioned, they do make a bit of noise when glazed and do squeal in the wet.

Problem is now I can't stand swapping back to the 203/185 J7 setup on my RFX so a set of M4s or V2s may be in my future.
    Ha, I'm with ya. I am a serious freak about having consistency among my bikes. For an RFX, I wouls seriously consider the M4 203/183. The V2 is seriously stupid in terms of power, and it comes on quick and strong. I mean like strong like I have never felt before. The M4s have a ton of power, with better modulation.

Has anyone had better luck with squeal moving from the organic pads to sintered?
    Last edited by tiSS'er; 07-12-2009 at 11:09 AM.

mtbr member
    M4's are definitely the ticket

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi all,

does anyone have any comparisons between the x2 and the avid juicy 7? I wanna change my brakes but I'm not really sure if this is the right choice.

the only thing i'm sure is that i don't want less power than a juicy 7.

regards
    sascha

cup
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    just curious, how are the m4 compared to the saints 4pot.

Surfin' da mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    In an effort to continue my e-biking...Are any of you Homers using this brake? Care to throw out some pros/cons - likes/dislikes???

I'm thinking of selling off my Moto V2's and switching to the X2 with f/r 183mm rotors but I just don't know if I want to give up the awesome braking control of the Moto. Help me out.
    I'm riding Mini's (183/160) on my SPOT which I believe is the model replaced by the Tech X2. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have the old Mini's (two-piece) but replaced the front caliper with the Mini Mono to fit my new post mounted fork and still use the old levers. One thing about hopes is they work so well and last so long, its hard to make a decision to replace.

The Mini's are the best modulating brakes I've ever used. The only con to these brakes is I haven't found a set of pads that don't squeel. I've tried both organic and sintered as well as EBC Gold and Red. And I'm sure this extends to the X2's, normally powerful these are XC brakes and do have their limits. Mine started giving up the ghost when I got to the bottom of 401 Trail in Crested Butte last summer. And that trail doesn't require much braking.

Was also thinking of going to the Tech V2's because the M4's have double the moving parts and not a fan of that. But based on this thread I'll have to reconsider.

SSinga - why are you considering the sale of the Motos? How do they modulate? HMMMM! Will the Tech levers work with Moto Calipers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Knollician
    V2 on a SPOT is a bad idea. The brakes are fantastic, but they are so strong, they are almost too much for my Highline. They can be modulated, but they are purpose built DH brakes. I feel bad for my 66RC3, the stress placed on it when you grab a fist full of brake is amazing.

The M4 is a sweet brake. It was easier to setup than the V2, and just works so well. Lots of power and modulation. I wouldn't get to worried about extra moving parts.

BTW, the new tech levers are sweet.. I am running the M4 in 183/160 on my SPOT. Perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richtig
    Hi all,

does anyone have any comparisons between the x2 and the avid juicy 7? I wanna change my brakes but I'm not really sure if this is the right choice.

the only thing i'm sure is that i don't want less power than a juicy 7.

regards
    sascha
    I'm running a 183/160 X2 setup on my Sultan and a J7 203/185 setup on my RFX so comparison isn't 100% direct, but I switch between the bikes frequently. My X2s are on stock metallic pads, the J7s I've run with both metallic and organic.

My thoughts, the Hope blows the J7 out of the water in terms of modulation regardless of the pad material in the J7. Some of this may be due to the larger rotor size on the RFX but I don't think enough to explain all of it. I am impressed with the power of the X2s; I was a bit concerned going with a 160 rear rotor (I weight ~225 ready to ride) but haven't looked back. I can easily one finger brake down anything, my J7s I'm typically two fingers. Some of this could be due to different lever design, I'm more comfortable with the Hope lever than the Avid.

IMHO, apples to apples the Hope setup with the same rotor size vs. the J7 Hope wins pretty much all around. Granted, Hopes are pricier and at least where I am (NE USA) parts aren't as readily available. This and price is my hesitation on upgrading my J7 setup on my RFX. I'm far more likely to trash parts of my RFX and need replacements where ever I am which most shops have. Hope, I'm probably going to have to wait for parts to arrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

banned
    V2/203: best homer XC brake made. Might put some on my Flux.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    Mine started giving up the ghost when I got to the bottom of 401 Trail in Crested Butte last summer. And that trail doesn't require much braking.
    I think it was the end of 403 which made my brakes almost catch fire

Team Fearless Descender
    SS - my wife has been running the Tech X2's (183/160mm) on her Knolly for 6 mos now. They've performed very well for her, quite and super easy to setup and adjust. Around here we are running HOPES (Moto V2, M4, X2, Mini...) on four bikes, w/ the V2 / M4 on my Terremoto, and I know what you mean when you say "awesome braking control of the Moto". I'd say that of all, I really like the Tech lever the best. I think a killer combo for a bigger rider / bike (bigger than my wife), might be the M4 up front, w/ the X2 in back, running the Tech lever. You'll have all that control, that you have w/ the V2 Moto, with the Tech. The lever feel is great.

Plus, the Tech lever looks bling, which is of course important for any self respecting homer, etc.!

"...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    My thoughts, the Hope blows the J7 out of the water in terms of modulation regardless of the pad material in the J7. Some of this may be due to the larger rotor size on the RFX but I don't think enough to explain all of it. I am impressed with the power of the X2s; I was a bit concerned going with a 160 rear rotor (I weight ~225 ready to ride) but haven't looked back. I can easily one finger brake down anything, my J7s I'm typically two fingers. Some of this could be due to different lever design, I'm more comfortable with the Hope lever than the Avid.
    Totally agree with this.

Stuff

not so super...
    The V2 is an awesome brake that IMO modulates quite well. I use sintered pads and only get a moment of squeal after they get wet. I had no issue with them on the Spot and still have none on the Sultan.

The only reason I'm even thinking about replacing them is for the Tech lever and slightly lower weight (I know it's sad).
    Nothing to see here.

not so super...
    Thanks for the info ElSalt. I'm already on the edge and you are about to push me off.
    Nothing to see here.

Team Fearless Descender
    Yea, its ALL good with the HOPE stuff. I say:

X2 all around would be good, or

M4 / X2, or

V2 up front (you've already got this?), and then either M4 or X2 out back (not sure of your weight / bike / riding style).

AND, however you go, run the new Tech lever all around. It is the nicest HOPE lever to date. (I've got the old Mini lever on my El Salt, the Moto on the Terremoto, and now the Tech on the new Knolly - the Tech is the sweetest!)

If you do run the Tech, be sure and check out the Hope Tech video on the Hope site, for bleeding tips. Because of the way the reservoir is, you need to be extra sure to purge out any air that may get trapped in the reservoir when you put the bladder and cap on. Just FYI.

Stuff

not so super...
    I'm leaning toward M4/X2 combo with 203/183 rotors to slow my fat ass down. Bit I also think that a moto (with a new tech lever) front and a X2 rear would be sweet.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    if you're running Sram shifters... dont' forget to order the adapters for the new Tech levers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast