Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

hope pro 2 question

So, I got my 08 Spot built up and dirty.

Stoked!

I'm running a Pro 2 rear hub. The hub appears to be loose - there is some play when I grab the tire and push/pull to sideload the wheel - but in looking over the maintenance instructions, I don't see any obvious way to tighten this thing up.

any ideas?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ill assume yer runnin a brand new qr rear. did ya get a qr hub or did someone mess up and the axle is way bigger than the skewer as in its a 12mm. i know, im reaching.

next question: did ya mess with it at all? maybe ya got the end caps reversed or forgot a piece.

check the axle? a busted axle can act like that. dead bearings too. even a busted hub shell. look it over. its easy to pull apart if yer careful and not... ummmm... challenged.

maybe ya got a bad hub too. sounds odd to me but ya never know.

did ya check the rear end? a loose or broken rear is often mistaken for a hub issue. i think its our brains way of ignorin a busted frame.
    No, I'm NOT back!

ride better, ride faster
    I assume it is a new hub?? If it is a used hub there can be play develop in the sealed bearings over time... if this is the case you have to buy replacement sealed bearings.

ill assume yer runnin a brand new hub... (blah, blah, blah) ...either that or maybe check for dead bearings.

its a joke. get it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My Pro 2 rear hub does the same thing (about a mm or 2 I guess) and has been like that for 3 years. It has not seemed to get any worse. I spoke to Hope about it a while ago and they said a little bit of play is not a problem. I was a little leary about it since its the only hub I have that is not tight but it has not been a problem. There are no adjustments for bearing preload or anything else. All parts are press fit into the hub.

Someone else brought this up in the Wheel and Tire forum recently. I believe he was going to contact Hope and will hopefully reply back with any information.

Mike

you cant be serious! i would not be a happy boy if my brand new hubs develop 2mm of slop and hope tells me its not a problem. currently my rear pro 2 is a bit draggy but im thinkin thatll break in. time will tell but time has stopped till march or april. fockin winter!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yep, it is a brand new hub.

maybe it is the frame. I just dropped it into my ss frame, and there is no play - but, the rotor pushes hard against the brake on the ss, so that may be helping it.

it is very little play - just enough to notice a 'tick' when you push it back and forth, so I suppose that could be coming from the linkage? I'm not used to suspension bikes, so I don't know what to expect there.

ahhhh... suspect links to work loose, specially when new. thats the nature of h/ware. if every last bolt is up to torque, start lookin at the bits that may have developed a tiny linkage of their own.

yer rotor theory may have merit. either remove or adjust the caliper on yer ss and check it out again. theres yer control group. good luck man.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy
    So, I got my 08 Spot built up and dirty.

Stoked!

I'm running a Pro 2 rear hub. The hub appears to be loose - there is some play when I grab the tire and push/pull to sideload the wheel - but in looking over the maintenance instructions, I don't see any obvious way to tighten this thing up.

any ideas?
    Having had a few of those apart, there is not a preload adjustment like on Hadleys. The bearings just sit in the hub shell and are finished with the end caps. Check to make sure the endcaps are fully seated, and then possibly measure your rear dropout.

It is not unusual to have a slight amount of play with Pro IIs. QR's anyway.

banned
    I don't have play with mine. I'm suspecting bearing tolerances. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I don't think there should be that much of a difference, however.

[SIZE="7"]Hope Hubs[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="4"]Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.[/SIZE]

a new slogan? thatll sell bike parts. truth is, the hope folks have been very kind to me lately and im lokin fwd to tryin out their stuff after all the positive reviews around here.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    I rebult my Hope 2's recently. I noticed there was play when in the frame. I took her apart again and found that a bearing was not properly seated in the hubshell... Make sure all your bearings are pressed in completely...

banned
    I had a similar issue and it turned out the be the rear pivots.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Hmmm i've had several ProII hubs and play would not be acceptable and i DOUBT hope would agree that play is "OK"?

Hope have an amazing warranty service, if you have a problem send it back!!
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products