Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    what a joke

Hope mono M4's or Juicy 7 on a 5spot

Had hayes on my Salty want to try something different on the new bike. I want to run the 8" front 7" rear combo. Any body have any time on either of these 2 brakes on there 5spots. Looking for durabilty, stopping power and easy maint.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.
    blah blah blah

FM
    luxatio erecta
    juicy's!

Or, one of each if you really want something different.

Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Had hayes on my Salty want to try something different on the new bike. I want to run the 8" front 7" rear combo. Any body have any time on either of these 2 brakes on there 5spots. Looking for durabilty, stopping power and easy maint.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm in the same boat with brakes for my RFX. Feedback on Juicy 7s might be tough to come by seeings how Avid isn't doing a good job getting them out the door.

Mashers Only!!
    Juicy sevens!!!! 7in on front 6in on the rear.. They rock!!!! The 7in front stop like yesterday!!!

HUGH

mtbr member
    My first expierence with hydraulic disc brakes were the Hayes Mags that came on my used 5 Spot, and I only spent a couple of months on them before making the switch to Juicy's. So as far as comparisons go I'm of no help. But what I can tell you is that I love my Juicy's. I've had no durabilty issues. I'm running 160mm rotors front and rear and haven't come up wanting more stopping power. Modulation is heads and tails above my Hayes. Setup and bleeding is simple and straight forward, even for a disc brake newb like me. As far as maintenance it seems to be one of the few "set it and forget it" systems on my bike. I also like the Speed Dial pad contact adjustment, which is something that really bothered me with the Hayes and was completely unresolvable. Good luck.

what a joke
    The juicys have a lot of features but I get the feeling that the hopes are better made (based purely on website pictures) So based on what you guys say the juicys are way better than the hayes. I am guessing the hopes are as well.

Is any one running either of these with a maverick fork?
    blah blah blah

No, that's not phonetic
    I want to run the 8" front 7" rear combo.
    8" Juicy's would be just this side of a branch in the spokes. Seriously, those would scare me. I have 6" front and back and I do 1 finger braking with them, everywhere, all the time, panic-stopping or not. I demoed a bike with 8" Hayes brakes and those were just a touch less powerful than my 6" Juicys. With the Hayes, I needed a finger "and a half" to match the power of the Juicys.

I also demoed a bike with Hope Minis (pre-Mono) and I thought they were awful. Soooo weak. I also demoed a bike with Hayes Carbon 9s (6"). Those were ok, but the carbon levers felt like crap, and were not as powerful as the Juicys, had differing engagement points, and did not modulate that well. I liked the normal Hayes levers a lot more than the carbons. Have not tried the M4s, but after messing around in general with other brakes, nothing seems to offer the complete package the Avids do.

Picking a brake based on the look of machined verses forged lever perches and calipers is probably not the best strategy

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    for me no contest here - I would get the Hope's without any hesitation! But I would get the Mini Mono's tho, which have plenty of power!!

I tried the Jucy's at Interbike and although they have good power - I really didn't like the angle and feel of the levers! The Hope feel just right to me!
    Last edited by Acadian; 04-08-2004 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    ...I also demoed a bike with Hope Minis (pre-Mono) and I thought they were awful. Soooo weak...
    The two piece minis had a tendency to separate with firm lever pulls. Speedgoat (who have a new site by the way) actually have a clamp for pre-mono minis to keep them together. The one-piece mini calipers should solve that issue since there aren't two halves to separate.

Any 4 or 6 piston brake will modulate better than a twin or single piston caliper. Unless the pistons are designed poorly and they clamp perfectly evenly.

... I guess you won't be
    just thought I would throw in how super nice shimano xt 4-pot calipers are. Pity they are not making them anymore, must have cost too much to make them.......a worthy alternative if you can still get them....

what a joke
    8" Juicy's would be just this side of a branch in the spokes. Seriously, those would scare me. I have 6" front and back and I do 1 finger braking with them, everywhere, all the time, panic-stopping or not. I demoed a bike with 8" Hayes brakes and those were just a touch less powerful than my 6" Juicys. With the Hayes, I needed a finger "and a half" to match the power of the Juicys.

I also demoed a bike with Hope Minis (pre-Mono) and I thought they were awful. Soooo weak. I also demoed a bike with Hayes Carbon 9s (6"). Those were ok, but the carbon levers felt like crap, and were not as powerful as the Juicys, had differing engagement points, and did not modulate that well. I liked the normal Hayes levers a lot more than the carbons. Have not tried the M4s, but after messing around in general with other brakes, nothing seems to offer the complete package the Avids do.

Picking a brake based on the look of machined verses forged lever perches and calipers is probably not the best strategy

tscheezy
    Thats my point its hard to pic brakes just by looking at pictures and reading very few reviews. I just got off superclydes bike with hayes 8" front and 6" rear and they did not feel much more powerful they my 6" hayes. Soupboys RFX with Hope m4s 7" (not the mono's) felt wicked on the front but back was spongy. He said it needed bleeding. The hopes did have a very industrial solid look and feel. It really comes down to the individual and how they maintain them and how they set them up and what pads they are running determining how they feel to another rider.

This is going to be the bike I take back to Oz with me and I want to make sure that all the parts are solid and reliable and user friendly. The avids do offer the most complete package when it comes to functionality but I just want to be 100% certain.
    blah blah blah

Tonight we ride.
    Damnit tscheezy! That's precisely what I'm going to do!

I haven't tried the Juicys, or seen any locals with 'em yet, but the Monos are so sexy I can't look away. I have to have a pair, trying to decide if I want 180/180 or 180/160. I would get the Mono M4s, but 180 on a post mount is a no-go.

Also, I haven't seen anyone selling the 7" Juicys yet.

eat my pantaloons
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of... disagree with you there... (Bill Lumburgh from Office Space)

I tried the 6" Juicy's and didn't find them to be anything really special. They worked, and you didn't have to think about them, so I guess that means it's a good product, just not anything to make me go, "Wow! I have to have these!"

I have 8" front, 6" rear Hayes with semi-metallic pads and have found nothing better. Less powerful than 6" Juicy's? I don't think so.
    I had 6" in front for a while and they were adequate as well except I really got them smoking on downhills (literally I could smell burning, but they still stopped). So that's my test of a good brake. I take them on a long screaming downhill until they get really hot and then you will know. I've found brakes that use mineral oil will fail and generally those with smaller calipers (insufficient heat dissipation) but then again those are not designed for downhill use/heavier riders (still no excuse).

tscheezy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fonseca
    Damnit tscheezy! That's precisely what I'm going to do!

I haven't tried the Juicys, or seen any locals with 'em yet, but the Monos are so sexy I can't look away. I have to have a pair, trying to decide if I want 180/180 or 180/160. I would get the Mono M4s, but 180 on a post mount is a no-go.

Also, I haven't seen anyone selling the 7" Juicys yet.
    I'm running Mono Minis - they are much better than the old style minis that my gf has on her bike. However (correct me if I'm wrong) they don't come in a 180mm rear.

mtbr member

tscheezy
    .............hmmmmmm, first off, I don't think the Mono Mini's you tried were either setup correctly or broken in. I have ridden almost every hydro out there (literally) on my bikes over the years searching for that perfect feel. I would have to say that the Hopes (Mono Mini) are pretty close to perfect. The Juicy's are a decent brake, so I am not dogging them here, but they are definitely not my type. The power is decent (however definitely NOT as strong as Hayes), but the lever angle is quite awkward & I just couldn't get used to it.

The Hope Mono Mini reminds me of a friends XT 4-pot with Goodridge lines........plenty of power ( I have 180mm front) with exceptional modulation. However, they do take a bit to break in with the stock Hope pads. Also, FWIW, mine have been as quiet as a mouse!
    Currently I have mono mini's on the 5 Spot, Hayes 8" s on the DH bike & shimano 4 pots on the SS. I have good things to say about them all.

Magura makes a Louise FR that I hear good things about, but I don't think I could do magura again after some bad success with them.

Also, the Hope (mono mini) is available in 180mm rear with an adapter....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oddly enough the mono minis are available in a 74mm post mount for 160mm rotors. Meaning you can run them with your existing hayes/avid adaptors for any size rotor. Too bad they only come as a 'front' kit meaning you'll need a new rear hose.

No, that's not phonetic
    Agreed, setup is everything. I guess my point was I have yet to use a brake more powerful or better modulating than my own set of Juicys, regardless of rotor size. Surprised the poop out of me too...

tscheezy

what a joke

another factor maybe

As a clyde with neanderthal hands (xxl) will the hopes fit better. Reason I say this is that I have read on MTBR before about the Juicy lever postions being somewhat awkward for some riders. Are these riders with big hands? Fit is very importnat to me as well. On superclydes jamis I had to stop mid way through the ride last night and seperate the brakes from the shifters from the grips by 1/2 an inch each to get the spacing I needed.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Are these riders with big hands? Fit is very importnat to me as well.
    I'm no Andrea the Giant, but I do wear a XXL glove and I find the Juicy lever to be a perfect fit for my hands.

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by studuck
    I'm running Mono Minis - they are much better than the old style minis that my gf has on her bike. However (correct me if I'm wrong) they don't come in a 180mm rear.
    The Mono Minis are available in calipers 3, 5 & 9:74, which means you would use caliper #3 with the HBIS20 adapter to run 180mm rear, which spaces the caliper out 20mm for IS mounts. So it's always an option even if you initially buy the caliper with a 160mm rotor.

Also interesting is the 9.74 caliper, which is post mount for 160mm rotors. Avid or Hayes 20mm post mount adapters would work on it to run larger rotors (7" or 8" depending on the adapter), and (I'm not 100% sure) I believe a standard Avid/Hayes stock adapter would let you run it at 160 on IS forks. So the question is, do I want to buy the Mini post mount version, or caliper #5 and use the Hope IS-to-post mount adapter HBSM20H?

No, that's not phonetic
    I rode Pete's Spot with a 180/160 Hope Mono Mini today and they felt pretty good. He had his lever set farther from the bar than I usually do, but otherwise they were pleasant enough. They certainly were better than the old Minis which were on the Spyder I demoed in Moab. I spent considerably less time on Pete's bike than I did on the other demo bikes though, and there were no real steep hills or panic stops on today's ride. Very fun ride, beautiful place too, btw.

tscheezy

mtbr member
    I rode Pete's Spot with a 180/160 Hope Mono Mini today and they felt pretty good. He had his lever set farther from the bar than I usually do, but otherwise they were pleasant enough. They certainly were better than the old Minis which were on the Spyder I demoed in Moab. I spent considerably less time on Pete's bike than I did on the other demo bikes though, and there were no real steep hills or panic stops on today's ride. Very fun ride, beautiful place too, btw.

tscheezy
    .................. Aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnddd?...How was the Maverick? hehe

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    How was the Maverick?
    Check my comments in a new thread here.

tscheezy

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I don't understand, "Why not Hayes?"

Quote Originally Posted by erol
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of... disagree with you there... (Bill Lumburgh from Office Space)

I tried the 6" Juicy's and didn't find them to be anything really special. They worked, and you didn't have to think about them, so I guess that means it's a good product, just not anything to make me go, "Wow! I have to have these!"

I have 8" front, 6" rear Hayes with semi-metallic pads and have found nothing better. Less powerful than 6" Juicy's? I don't think so.
    I had 6" in front for a while and they were adequate as well except I really got them smoking on downhills (literally I could smell burning, but they still stopped). So that's my test of a good brake. I take them on a long screaming downhill until they get really hot and then you will know. I've found brakes that use mineral oil will fail and generally those with smaller calipers (insufficient heat dissipation) but then again those are not designed for downhill use/heavier riders (still no excuse).
    I've ridden Magura's among other semi metallic brakes. Screw 'em all! I will take Hayes every day of the week and twice on Sunday! No hassle brakes for me. The only downfall is the metallic pads don't modulate quite as well as semi metallic. However, Hayes semi's modulate great but don't last as long.

You guys keep your latest and greatest brakes! I am going to keep riding Hayes.

Jaybo

PS If I did go latest and greatest, it would be juicy.

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I will take Hayes every day of the week and twice on Sunday!
    Not me. I just don't like the way Hayes feel, although I haven't tried any new models made in the last few years. But everyone has different preferences when it comes to brakes, just like forks and frames. Some people prefer more of an on-off feel, while others like 'em nice and squishy.

I've owned several sets of hydraulics, and tried quite a few others, including the old Minis with Speedgoat clamps, and really liked the feel of the Minis. The new Mono version should address the main concern with this brake, so I'm not too worried about not trying them first.

The Juicys have been many years coming, and so far I only see the 6" version available, and as much as I love Avid products, I'm a bit leery of using their first hydraulics in the first year of production.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast