Thread: Hope Headsets

banned

Hope Headsets

Anyone here use one?

I don't know why, but they are not easy to get in the US. I hear they are as good as King, but wanted to hear from 1st hand experiences.

Next bike, might have one, just cause it's different, and hopefully as "set it and forget it" as the King.

Lay off the Levers
    If you have trouble finding it locally, I'm sure Larry can get the headsets pretty easily (if not already in stock)
    Funny how since CK raised their prices, some viable, blingable, performance alternatives have grown in popularity. I bet Mr. Hadley will be sending Mr. King a thank-you card.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    I had one on my 5 spot and thought it was ok. Nicely made although it felt a bit loose at times, especially when climbing out of the saddle, despite returning it to the lbs for a re-fit.
    They retail for around 60, roughly half the cost of a King.

DS
    "to finish first you first must finish" - Mike Hailwood

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    There were two types of Hope Headsets, the cheaper "Enduro" and the "XC". The Enduro was total tosh and was dropped. Now there is only one and it is superb. I have one that has been through a couple of winters and still smooth as the day it was put in. I also have a CK one in another bike and at the moment it's hard to notice the difference.

Obviously the CK is higher quality but in the UK, Hope Headset is 60, king is 100+

The Hope also comes with a SFN replacement called a Hed Doctor. Some people like it, other think it's a word that rhymes with Tank. I'm firmly in the second category!

Lay off the Levers
    FWIW I had good experience with my HHD. (one data point) A little tough to install at first as the o-ring was too thick for my Zoke steerer, a little trimming and grease and it was golden.
    I'm getting one for my other bike.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    FWIW I had good experience with my HHD. (one data point) A little tough to install at first as the o-ring was too thick for my Zoke steerer, a little trimming and grease and it was golden.
    I'm getting one for my other bike.
    Got a HHD on the XCE. Again the o-ring was too thick but a trip the the hardware store fixed that. Then there was the problem of the bolt head twisting off!! Looked like the allen hole was machined a little too deeply.

I didn't think the Hope headsets were avaialable in the US because of the Cane Creek patent thingy. Sure you could import one yourself but at the current exchange rate + shipping it would be quite costly.

FWIW - Syncros has some sweet looking headsets and I really like the CC Solos I put on the XCE.
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    I used my CK bolt and top cap. Good call on the hdwre store, prolly easier than trimming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    they are now listed on the hopetechusa web stite. Are they availible in the US?????

Turner Homer
    It does not show up for me. I think if you still want a hope headset, you still have to get them from e bay. I don't know why hope just doesn't sell them here.
    Dave