Hisforever

Can a DHX air do this?...

I havent tried yet, but what do you guys think about this?

The Objects:
    A new Transition Gran Mal & A new Fox DHX Air (9.5x3.0) I know its not a Turner but the 5spot and the RFX are still around.

The upper shock mounting tabs are adjustable allowing one to use almost any length rear shock.(see pics)

I want to use my 3" stroke shock in the 8.5 x 2.5" mounting position, or better yet, I want to try it in all the other settings. 7.5, 7.75 , 8.5, 8.75

I think the shock can take the abuse.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SHAHEEB; 03-04-2006 at 07:21 PM.
    Jesus Saves

Hisforever
    I just wanted to post pics of the new rig. The white one shows the upper mounting positions for the shock. The DHX rear shock is a plush shock. I think its a little too plush for bigger hits. This may very well be a statement due to the lack of proper tuning on my part. Heres what I have tried so far. It still bottoms pretty easily. (3ft+ drops/jumps).
    160lbs
    main 275lbs
    boost 170
    PP 2 turns
    BO all the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jesus Saves

Team Sanchez
    What is the leverage ratio with the DHX air on there? That could be a huge issue for the DHX air. Also, what do you weigh? I think for DH racing you might be able to get away with running that shock, but for drops, I'd slap the coil back on there.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    Heres what I have tried so far. It still bottoms pretty easily. (3ft+ drops/jumps).
    160lbs
    main 275lbs
    boost 170
    PP 2 turns
    BO all the way.
    Shaheeb you are allmost maxxed out on your main pressure, yet you're still bottoming. That's not good. The dhx air is an okay shock for some people in some situations, but I think this is not one of them. My recommendation is to stop trying to force it, and give up on the dhx air for this application.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Try a higher pressure in the Boost. The limit is 200 psi, and others have noted how a small variation in the pressure makes a huge difference in the performance. Worth a shot I guess.

Just roll it......
    Shaheeb,

Yo man....clean out your inbox. I can't PM you as it's full.

Two things. Bike looks good.....the blue is sweet looking.

It sounds like you're trying to make your 9 x 3" dhx air into a 8.5 x 2.5" stroke shock....which doesn't really make sense to me. I'm assuming you want to try this to change the travel / geometry of the new bike? Realistically, if that shock's set up properly, you'll have sag of ~1" on the rear end when you're on it. So, it seems to run it in a shorter eye to eye combo, you'd have to let so much air out of it to get it to fit, that it's gonna just blow through the travel even worse than when it's set at the 9" eye to eye mark. I think that if you want to do that, you should get a different size shock and not try to force that to be something that it's not.

Now, I know that Transition offers the DHX air for the Gran Mal, but I'm not gonna worry about saving 1.5 lbs. on my bike and get the Coil version for both reliability and better big hit capability. Even though the leverage ratio isn't horrible on that frame, I think you're going to be pushing the limits of what that shock can handle with an 8.5" travel bike.

Cheers,
    EBX

Hisforever
    The gran mal has two mounting options on the rocker. The one I am running is 2.8 to 1, this is also the lower travel setting. Perfect IMO for the 36. The upper mount,the higher travel settings leverage ratio is 2.3 to 1.

I should try the upper mount b/c the lower one def. seems maxed out.
    I only weigh 160#. + a box of doughnuts, and maybe 165!

EB, your on it regarding a coil over air. I think I have found the coil that I want to run. . . It is going to be sick!
    Jesus Saves

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Now, I know that Transition offers the DHX air for the Gran Mal, but I'm not gonna worry about saving 1.5 lbs. on my bike and get the Coil version for both reliability and better big hit capability............
    Yep, I agree. Why bother with a DHXa on that thing?
    At the weight that frame is already, 1.5 lbs. isn't going to make much difference.

Get yourself an Avy for that thing and be pimp'n-est dope dealer on 2 wheels.........

"Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Hisforever
    No Doubt!!!!!

There is an AVY on the way.........

PIMPIN!!!!!
    Jesus Saves