Thread: homer 911 help!

... I guess you won't be

homer 911 help!

Ok fellow homers - since my spot is way too much fun, I decided to build up a singlespeed....long story short, I bought a 2002 Marz Marathon SL right here on the mtbr classifieds, and it arrived today. I eagerly opened up the box, only to be panic stricken, as my thought to be "great deal" suddenly had some major concerns...

The steerer tube bearing race seat had some serious mangling to it. Obviously the person who removed the race, used the brute force method and created some deformities. I am aware that Marzocchi has cast in some detents [one can clearly see the detents in both photos, below the mangling], front and rear, to facilitate using a flathead screwdriver to drive the race up off the seat. However, the previous owner was not very delicate....Please examine the pics below.....

I realize Marz crowns are quite burly, but I'm concerned with obtaining a flat surface on which to rest my new crown race. I have a plethora of fine pitch machining files at my disposal, so I am confident I can file down the ridges, dents, gouges, etc. tha KONG imparted to this fork....But, I wish to run it by the ever so knowledgable homer crew, to see if they have ever encounted such a sight, and if it's worth salvaging, or not!!!???? - please help!!!! I'm almost freekin' out, but the beer is helping a lot....

front side of fork:

back side of fork:

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    #1) the guy ya got it from or his buddy the back room wrench is a friggin hack!

#2) file away or see if yer lbs has a fork race facing tool. park makes a nice one. as long as its reasonably flat, youll be cool. it may not be perfect but itll work fine. have another beer and call it good. see ya at BRR this weekend? would be great to toast a frosty with ya!
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Yeah, that'll buff right out. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be worried about how he treated the REST of the fork.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

thats a damn good point. if i were a betting man, id say by the looks of that work he may not have known they were serviceable so ya may be lucky in this respect. how do the seals look? any major stantion wear? are the bushings loose? would be simple to open it up and check things like oil quality and level and overall condition of the internals without much time invested. if i saw a problem, id be inclined to return it for full credit.
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    the rest of the fork is in pretty good shape - drop outs ok, disc tabs ok, aside from the obvious scratches and such - no worse than any of my other forks - and the stanchions are in primo shape - absolutely no scratches, and the seller said he had the fork recently serviced - new seals, wipers - bushings....from my intitial inspection I can tell the wipers are virgin rubber - very fresh looking, the ECC works too. The mechanicals appear to be sound. I was pretty much concerned with the fork bearing race seat, however.

here are some additional views of the rest of the fork...

the cable wear mark only wore away the paint, no metal....

Good call on the crown race facing tool idea - never considered that!

Catsu - whats the BRR?

Thanks for the quick responses, now I can go to sleep!
    Last edited by jokermtb; 01-31-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Never enough time to ride
    Wow!! That's incredible, I joke about using a bigger hammer around the shop, but it looks like this guy most certainly put it into practice.

Definatley take a really close look at the rest of the fork, particularly seals, and stanchions like Cactus mentioned, I'd also have a real close look at the drop outs and disc tabs.

From the looks of the pics, I'd say it's never seen fresh oil, I'd also put that on my to be checked list and change the oil one way or the other.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

the BRR ride baby! like a mini ragbrai im told. ill be there with my team sometime fri night and ill be drunk from then on.

http://www.bikeiowa.com/asp/calendar....asp?m=&e=1585
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mr.Secret
    If ya do windup filing it smooth, be careful not to put any stress risers in the steerer tube with said file.

... I guess you won't be

The facing tool at the LBS did the trick - soo smooooooth now~~

Thanks for the great ideas Homers!!!

nice! gawd i love the outcome of a proper tool and a good mechanic. makes for many happy rides. glad it worked out pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Never enough time to ride
    Looks good man, props to the guy running the tool. Enjoy the fork.

I think I might have to get me one of them nifty little tools, you know just in case that happens to me, some day, or something.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Mr.Secret
    Beeyouteefull

... I guess you won't be
    I love a happy ending!

and those too~!

Members who have read this thread: 0