Poll: Do ya gotta be a lemming to be a Homer?

My cup runneth over

Homer = Lemming????

In appreciation of Gomer, sorry, Gonzo, here’s a question regarding a new requirement for Homer membership – do ya gotta be a lemming?

Bite Me.
    I think each and every Homer would unanimously agree that the answer is No.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

My cup runneth over
    Ah, but this poll is open to non-homers - perhaps we should advertise on other boards.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Sometimes it looks that way, but there's a difference between being a lemming and a group of well-informed enthusiasts coming to consensus about what works and what doesn't.

Now how do I get a Jen Green headbadge and some I-9 wheels?

gravity curmudgeon

Cute little things. Their willingness to follow each other off drops is based on the knowledge that they have quality bikes.

No, that's not phonetic
    Don't lemmings jump off cliffs? Isn't the main trolling complaint that Homers don't do drops? Or are you saying that lemmings only do drops to flat?

Did you mean to say sheep?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I have yet to buy a Gravity Dropper, swicth to the latest Z1 or 66 or Pike, I have not bought an RFX frame so I can mix and match frame parts. Still just riding my Hoist link Spot with a heavy Romic and Avid Mechs.
    On the other hand I did buy a limited edition Custom made Turner Jersey, So anyone know where there is a good cliff I'm ready to follow.......

Outcast
    Perhaps if someone would be kind enough to p.m. Gonzo, and ask him for his definitive definition of 'Homer", we could get somewhere with this.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Don't lemmings jump off cliffs? Isn't the main trolling complaint that Homers don't do drops? Or are you saying that lemmings only do drops to flat?

Did you mean to say sheep?
    The lemming compaint is that Homers all the do the same (typically expensive) things to their rides. You are correct however, we need to correct Gonzo and help him use the correct metaphor. Regardless, if a Lemming dropped the cliff on a custom, poseriffic RFX he would be a wise, joyful critter.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    The lemming compaint is that Homers all the do the same (typically expensive) things to their rides. You are correct however, we need to correct Gonzo and help him use the correct metaphor. Regardless, if a Lemming dropped the cliff on a custom, poseriffic RFX he would be a wise, joyful critter.
    Where does that put Crazy Fred?
    Astigmatic Visionary

No, that's not phonetic
    The alternative would probably be to be an Ells or Santa Cruz lemming. I think I would rather jump off a cliff.

My cup runneth over
    Interesting that 5 out of 7 voters have said 'yes'. Maybe Gonz is voting but not commenting...

No, that's not phonetic
    I would vote "Yes" for the reasons given in reply #11.

My cup runneth over
    Maybe TS is correct and I misunderstood the Lemming comments to be an insult when they were really a compliment... Lemming = cliff hucker - Yeah!

No wonder there are so many 'yes'es.

Bite Me.
    Now I'm confused - is the correct answer yes or no? Please tell me what to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    The short answer - NO.

The long answer - you don't have to be a lemming (or sheep) to be a homer, but many are to a certain extent, myself included. Let me 'splain...

Did I even think about a GD post before everyone (except Aqua 'hell freezes over' holic) on the Turner board started getting them? Nope, but now, man do I want one... badly.

Did I really need to get a RP3? Nope, I was happy with my Romic (cause it still works good), but noooooo, everybody's putting them on their spots and raving about them (when they aren't in stuck-down mode). Hmmm thinks I, if it's that good and saves some weight, why not? And to go a step further, I had the thing PUSHed. AND I got the 5.3" rockers too. Holy carp, you homers are costing me $$!! The real question is - was it all worth it? Yes. Yes it was...

And now, we look to the Big Betty, the homer "tire du jour" as it seems. Yeah, I got mine yesterday. May not be great for the conditions I ride in, but it sure might come in handy when I travel to Whistler and the North Shore next month with my trusty spot.

What about the Pike? What about it. I'm still riding my vanilla 130R and am happy with it. Would I like a Pike/Z1/ etc etc? Sure, it would be nice, but then I would find myself looking for a new I9 wheelset to go with it. It tends to cause a trickle down effect....

So would you classify me as a lemming (or sheep or whatever)? Yeah, maybe, but every time I took into the changes that some of these 'well respected' guys are making to their Turners and follow suit (to a certain extent), I'm never disappointed.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get my Jen Green headbadge ordered........
    Last edited by SilverSpot; 06-16-2006 at 01:29 PM.
    MCM# 2007.1

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Please tell me what to do.
    Go jump off a cliff?

banned
    you can be a human. but for the most part, your behavior will be lemminglike.

the bigger question is, who's the Pied Piper?

Outcast
    I just googled lemmings, and learned something new today:

One myth deeply entrenched in our language is that of the "Lemming Suicide Plunge" - where lemmings, apparently overcome by deep-rooted impulses, deliberately run over a cliff in their millions, to be dashed to their deaths on the rocks below, or to drown in the raging ocean. Indeed, this myth is now a metaphor for the behaviour of crowds of people who foolishly follow each other, lemming-like, regardless of the consequences. This particular myth began with a Disney movie.

Many of the rodents have strange population explosions. One such event in the Central Valley of California in 1926-27 had mouse populations reaching around 200,000 per hectare (about 20 mice per square metre). In France between 1790 and 1935, there were at least 20 mouse plagues. But lemmings have the most regular fluctuations - these population explosions happen every three or four years. The numbers rocket up, and then drop almost to extinction. Even after three-quarters of a century of intensive research, we don't fully understand why their populations fluctuate so much. Various factors (change in food availability, climate, density of predators, stress of overcrowding, infectious diseases, snow conditions, sunspots, etc) have all been put forward, but none completely explain what is going on.

When these population explosions happen, the lemming migrate away from the denser centres. The migrations begin slowly and erratically, with an evolution from small numbers moving at night, to larger groups in the daytime. The most dramatic movements happen with the True Lemmings (also called the Norway Lemming). Even so, they do not form a continuous mass, but instead travel in groups with gaps of 10 minutes or more between them. They tend to follow roads and paths. Lemmings avoid water, and will usually scout around for a land crossing. But if they have to, they will swim. Their swimming ability is such that they can cross a 200 metre body of water on a calm night, but most will drown in a windy night.

The myth of mass lemming suicide began when the Walt Disney movie, Wild Wilderness was released in 1958. It was filmed in Alberta, Canada, far from the sea and not a native home to lemmings. So the filmmakers imported lemmings, by buying them from Inuit children. The migration sequence was filmed by placing the lemmings on a spinning turntable that was covered with snow, and then shooting it from many different angles. The cliff-death-plunge sequence was done by herding the lemmings over a small cliff into a river. It's easy to understand why the filmmakers did this - wild animals are notoriously uncooperative, and a migration-of-doom followed by a cliff-of-death sequence is far more dramatic to show than the lemmings' self-implemented population-density management plan.

So lemmings do not commit mass suicide. Indeed, animals live to thrive and survive. Consider a company like Disney, where one rodent, namely Mickey Mouse, was Royalty. It's rather odd to think that Disney could be so unkind to another rodent, the lemming...

So no, I don't think Homers are like lemmings. Maybe they are more like praire dogs...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Go jump off a cliff?
    no, the lemming is instructive but not imitated literally. I'm sorry, I was too subtle apparently. maybe I should have used the more well-used and well-imitated terms "copy cat" or "fad follower".

PS: the fact that most of the lemmings are rushing to defend their copycat fad-following behavior simply demonstrates what is the answer to rmac's question.

Lay off the Levers

Anyone know what the "R" stands for in mtb(R)?

Check the build threads, just about every component mfgr out there is listed. Plenty of High end stuff, and plenty of mid range.

Ooops JNC & SS posted they like the 66SL and explained why... guess I better buy a 36 Talas instead...can't wear the same dress to the prom now can I?

DGC & TS did great reviews on the Pike... a few folks who tried it agreed... Guess that's off the list too.

King Hubs...common, Hadlys?... too popular skip them too, Hopes? Like McDonalds. Forget Thompson too, they last too long... Gravity dropper naw use a Mav post... all you need is a different seat tube. Shimano? SRAM? NEVER! The truly free of mind uses Suntor.

Seems to me avoiding the consensus on what works well is putting form ahead of function.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    In appreciation of Gomer, sorry, Gonzo, here’s a question regarding a new requirement for Homer membership – do ya gotta be a lemming?
    So... let me get this right... You're saying that in order to be a homer, I have to be a small rodent? I hope your not referring to the myth about lemmings just following each other off of cliffs.... because that's just plain silly.

About the Myth:

"The myth of mass lemming suicide began when the Walt Disney movie, Wild Wilderness was released in 1958. It was filmed in Alberta, Canada, far from the sea and not a native home to lemmings. So the filmmakers imported lemmings, by buying them from Inuit children. The migration sequence was filmed by placing the lemmings on a spinning turntable that was covered with snow, and then shooting it from many different angles. The cliff-death-plunge sequence was done by herding the lemmings over a small cliff into a river. It's easy to understand why the filmmakers did this - wild animals are notoriously uncooperative, and a migration-of-doom followed by a cliff-of-death sequence is far more dramatic to show than the lemmings' self-implemented population-density management plan."

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Seems to me avoiding the consensus on what works well is putting form ahead of function.
    No, purposely going against other people's experienced-based recommendations like NOT jumping off a cliff according to rmac.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    No, purposely going against other people's experienced-based recommendations like NOT jumping off a cliff according to rmac.
    I guess... hey at least we're not all wearing Aquabootie skirts.

Outcast
    Blue shorts, you're slow to the draw today. I posted that info, and more, three minutes ago! Scroll up.

Outcast
    My failure to completly copy everyone else around here in regards to my bike build is directly related to the thickness of my wallet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Blue shorts, you're slow to the draw today. I posted that info, and more, three minutes ago! Scroll up.
    I just hate when that happens

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    So... let me get this right... You're saying that in order to be a homer, I have to be a small rodent? I hope your not referring to the myth about lemmings just following each other off of cliffs.... because that's just plain silly.
    ."
    I was referring to Gonzo's adjectival comments on Homer behavior reflecting that of lemmings. Never (until today) was a lemming behavior definition added to the comment. I had assumed it was the mythical behavior of a small rodent...

Regardless of the myth factor associated with this behavior the common vernacular rule applies.

I hope none of you are taking this too seriously, it's intended as Friday clown cr@p (Renegade is NOT busy at work today) and a light dig at ourselves and Gonzo.

Outcast
    I am not a lemming!

I'm a cute, smart, prairie dog. A Homer-dog. These critters and I share the same physique!

I live in a large population of others just like me. I call them Homers!

This is my bestest prairie dog-homer friend, SSINGA!

And yes, I am NOT too busy at work today!

Lay off the Levers
    Well that just about proves we ARE lemmings. Gee thanks fellas.

I propose from now on, we get our product information from:
    -people who's reviews focus on other people's choice of components.
    -people who's reviews focus on how much of a Homer they are not.
    -people who rattle-can their shock spring for that full-on custom feel.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 06-16-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Bite Me.
    Lemmings suck. Prairie Dogs are fat, plague infested, social welfare softies. The Pika is the high alpine denizen of pristine singletrack. I am Pika - hear me roar!

Outcast
    Cutthroat, I'll see your pika, and raise you a marmot! Here's a rodent to behold! Lone, solidary;he doesn't need others to tell him what to put on his bicycle. He's a loner, a rebel!

'Zilla, I'm gonna pick up a can of krylon on the way home. What is the Homer color du jour for springs today?

Lay off the Levers

Cappyzilla...

We all know where this is going.

My rat'll kick your rat's arse!

Last edited by Bikezilla; 06-16-2006 at 02:37 PM.

Outcast
    Gawd, I love clowncrapfriday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

How 'bout a Whistlepig?

Out here we call Marmots Rockchucks or (better yet) Whistlepigs. Here's one contemplating a drop. Or maybe he just missed the gap, I'm not sure...

Bite Me.
    Gawd, I love clowncrapfriday.
    I'll see your stinkin' Marmot and Capybara and raise with the biggest rodent of all:

Outcast
    you win Cutthroat. That is by far, the biggest stinkyest, most low down and dirtyest rat that breathes air. Scary lookin' to boot.

on a routine expedition
    Photographic proof at last. He DOES eat babies!!!

Time flies...
    ...now THAT's funny!!!
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    HA! Classic. Now if he were riding aboart a giant mutant Marmot, trampling puppies and kittens while eating babies and spitting their bones on old people, that'd be better.

Time flies...
    "Little Bunny Foo Foo hoppin' through the forest, scoopin' up the lemmings and boppin' em on the head."
    ...every day sends future to past...

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack
    Photographic proof at last. He DOES eat babies!!!
    OMG! Thank you - best Friday Clown Crap since Crazy Fred!

No, that's not phonetic
    Wow. I thought he only had a peckish for par-boiled blind baby orphans. I stand corrected.

Bike to the Bone...
    I was thinking more on this line....

Members who have read this thread: 0