Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lay off the Levers

Holy Carp!!! What if....

...Your Bike was Still on Board!?!?!!?!

"Jet Ditches in Hudson; All Are Said Safe"

The Polar Bear Club just got a lot bigger.
    Glad they're all okay.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Outcast
    I'd coerce one of those grumpy flight attendants to get their ass down to the cargo hold and get it.

Silence and Thunder...
    ... at least you'd live to ride another day....

besides, if it's a Turner, after recovery a good go-through, lube the chain and a couple of squirts of grease and your good-to-go....
    ...every day sends future to past...

Lay off the Levers
    Why can't those Canucks keep their dammed birds on their side of the boarder???

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    ... at least you'd live to ride another day....

besides, if it's a Turner, after recovery a good go-through, lube the chain and a couple of squirts of grease and your good-to-go....
    No Joke. As long as they can pull it out, I can't imagine the water would damage it that much.

Hope everyone is OK.

I wonder if an airplane skids over the water or just hits it and stops? It would seem like the second those engines hit, they would act like water parachutes. Got to be at least some serious whiplash out of that one.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn

I wonder if an airplane skids over the water or just hits it and stops? It would seem like the second those engines hit, they would act like water parachutes. Got to be at least some serious whiplash out of that one.
    people interviewed that saw it come down said it only sort of "bounce once lightly" before stopping completely...

I'm just glad everybody got out

not so super...
    I'll raise a beer to the pilot that was able to land a plane with 2 dead engines in a river w/o killing anyone in the process.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I'll raise a beer to the pilot that was able to land a plane with 2 dead engines in a river w/o killing anyone in the process.
    Eh, even a 747 with no engines works

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Leave it to mountain bikers to admire the skills in making a quality crash.

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Leave it to mountain bikers to admire the skills in making a quality crash.
    Hell yeah !!
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Thats us mounting an attack to take over the United States. Just wait till you witness the Polar Bear attack that is being organized.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Why can't those Canucks keep their dammed birds on their side of the boarder???

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    hello, boeing warranty? well, i was just flying along.....................
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    hello, boeing warranty? well, i was just flying along.....................
    Well, but I think that Airbus has a great a crash replacement policy!

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Latest crash site evidence has a slick of yellow feathers floating to the surface. The Sesame St spokeman couldn't be reached for comment.

~~~~~~~~
    truly amazing and awesome!

Rolling
    That sucks.... and I happen to be flying USAir To CHARLOTTE, next week....least they got that one out of the system--I hope.

And this happens not too long after the aborted takeoff at Denver here.

I hate flying.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti
    Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. That 747 still had three working engines, and landed under power on a runway (on land of course).

The US Airways A320 had lost two engines (no power at all) and glided in, unpowered, to land in water.

Lay off the Levers
    Yeah it's NBD...
    According to The Daily News,

It appeared to be the first time in 45 years that a major aircraft crash-landed in the water - and every passenger on board made it out alive.
    Cauze it happend just the other day:
    The only known water ditching in which all passengers survived was in Russia in 1963, when an Aeroflot jet with 52 people aboard ran out of fuel and landed in a river near St. Petersburg.
    It was the least he could do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by curious george
    Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. That 747 still had three working engines, and landed under power on a runway (on land of course).
    Yes and you lack it, thanks for playing. It was also flying without engines successfully and Air Transat Flight 236 did the same breaking BA9's gliding record for non-powered airliners and successfully landed on the runway with all 306 surviving

On 24 June 1982, the route was flown by City of Edinburgh, a 747-236B registered G-BDXH. The aircraft flew into a cloud of volcanic ash thrown up by the eruption of Mount Galunggung, resulting in the failure of all four engines

At approximately 13:42 GMT (20:42 Jakarta time), engine four surged and then flamed out. The first officer and flight engineer immediately performed the engine shutdown drill, shutting off fuel and arming fire extinguishers as the Captain added some rudder to counter the uneven thrust. The passengers also spotted long yellow glows coming out of the remaining engines. Less than a minute after the first engine failed, engine two surged and flamed out. Before the flight crew could begin the engine failure drills, engines one and three shut down almost simultaneously. The flight engineer exclaimed, "I don't believe it – all four engines have failed!"[2]

The 747 had now become a glider. A 747 can glide 15 kilometres for every kilometre it loses in height.[3] Captain Moody calculated that, from its flight level of about 11,280 metres (37,000 ft), Flight 9 would be able to glide for 23 minutes and cover 261 kilometres (141 nm).[2] At 13:44 GMT (20:44 Jakarta time), Moody told First Officer Greaves to declare an emergency to the local air traffic control authority, stating that all four engines had shut down
    , but Jakarta Area Control misunderstood the message, believing that only engine number four had shut down. It was only after a Garuda Indonesia flight relayed that the message got through.

Despite the lack of time, Captain Moody made an announcement that has been described as "a masterpiece of understatement":[2]

“ Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress. ”

As pressure within the cabin fell, oxygen masks dropped from the ceiling - an automatic emergency measure to make up for the lack of air. But some did not work. Moody took drastic action: to prevent his passengers dying of oxygen starvation, he went into a nosedive, dropping 6,000ft in one minute, to an altitude where there was enough oxygen in the outside atmosphere to fill the cabin once more.

At 13,500 ft, the flight crew attempted one last engine restart procedure before turning for the ocean and the risky prospect of a ditching. Although there were guidelines, no one had ever tried it in a 747 – nor have they since. Number four engine started, and at 13:56 GMT (20:56 Jakarta time), Captain Moody used its power to reduce the rate of descent. Shortly thereafter, engine three restarted, followed shortly by engines one and two. The engines were able to restart because one generator and the batteries were still operative; generator or battery power is required for ignition of the engines.[4] The crew were amazed at their change of fortune, and requested an increase in altitude to 15,000 feet to clear the high mountains.[5]

G-BDXH also entered the Guinness Book of Records as the longest glide in a non-purpose-built aircraft, until it was replaced by the Air Transat Flight 236 incident [an A330].
    Last edited by syadasti; 01-16-2009 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member

Idea! There's an old saying among pilots

All landings of human built/powered aircraft are controlled crashes, so any landing you can walk away from (or swim) is a good one!
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

trail fairy
    I watched that on BBC early morning here the other morning, thought about you Homies so glad none of you nutcases were on board and those who were only got a little wet and cold, Steve47 says it all really!

Zilla I was thinking ya lucky he missed yr place, not sure where ya live NYC is a big place still good pilot skillz huh!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Hisforever
    thats an unusual sea animal
    Jesus Saves

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti
    Yes and you lack it, thanks for playing.
    ??

You clearly cannot understand the story you posted, since you are trying to equate it with the A320 landing unpowered, in the water.

Find someone to help you understand this part:

"At 13,500 ft, the flight crew attempted one last engine restart procedure before turning for the ocean and the risky prospect of a ditching. Although there were guidelines, no one had ever tried it in a 747 nor have they since. Number four engine started , and at 13:56 GMT (20:56 Jakarta time), Captain Moody used its power to reduce the rate of descent. Shortly thereafter, engine three restarted, followed shortly by engines one and two. The engines were able to restart because one generator and the batteries were still operative; generator or battery power is required for ignition of the engines.[4] The crew were amazed at their change of fortune, and requested an increase in altitude to 15,000 feet to clear the high mountains.[5]

As the aircraft approached its target altitude, the tracer effect on the windscreen returned. Captain Moody throttled back, but it was too late: number two engine surged again, and had to be shut down. The crew immediately descended to 12,000 ft.

After landing, the flight crew then found it impossible to taxi, as glare from apron floodlights made the windscreen opaque, and City of Edinburgh had to wait for a tug to tow her in."

Here's a start for you on the math:

4 engines restarted and running minus 1 engine that flames out again = 3 engines running when the plane landed on the runway.

So yes, that 747 still had three working engines, and landed under power on a runway (on land of course).

The US Airways A320 had lost two engines (no power at all) and glided in, unpowered, to land in water.

"A 747 with no engines works" is an apples and oranges comparison. It didn't land with no engines sunshine.

Moosehead
    Whoa, cabin fever's setting in, dormant riders are gettin testy.

So back on topic, what would you do if your bike was on board?

Depends on the rig.

If it was say, an Ellsworth, it would be deboarded before all the wimmin, children, and elderly.

If it was a Turner, it would've performed CPR on the best looking broad, cleared all passengers, gone down with the ship, climbed outta the Hudson in the big ring, and finish with a little huck & steeze off the Tappan Zee. Likely no need for a bushing replacement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by curious george
    "A 747 with no engines works" is an apples and oranges comparison. It didn't land with no engines sunshine.
    I never said it landed so you are reading what is not there. I said it works. BA9 set a record for non-powered gliding in jetliners. AT236 broke BA9 flight record and landed with 306 passengers on board as I mentioned above if you want it all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast