Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Feeding your addiction

Ho Hum, just another day at the office....

A little tease.....

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Neg reppers r my biatches
    wow! some sweet ass pics Larry!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    A little tease.....

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Nice teaser there Larry. I will be dropping in to your shop in a couple of weeks. Maybe we can hook up for another ride. We will be hitting Steamboat for five days and I will be in Loveland the following week. I can not wait to check out the new eye candy in your shop. See you soon. Jay

Lay off the Levers
    Fan friggin tastic!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    isn't it WAY past your bedtime?

mtbr member
    Must cut up credit card
    Off for a ride, no phones in the wood's that should stop me from calling you,(for a while)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just send you a mail for more teaser pics.... :-)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Ugly welds

Just kidding. You are a temptor, Lucifer. I have to resist.

Jaybo

not so super...
    Wow! I'm glad I missed this one last night especially after seeing the weight on Airwrecks Smurf sized frame.
    Nothing to see here.

No, that's not phonetic
    Hey, is that one mine??
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Nice teaser there Larry. I will be dropping in to your shop in a couple of weeks. Maybe we can hook up for another ride. We will be hitting Steamboat for five days and I will be in Loveland the following week. I can not wait to check out the new eye candy in your shop. See you soon. Jay
    Hey. LONG time no talk eh? How ya been? That's cool you'll be in town, we definitely need to do a ride while you're here, I'm sure I can come up with a bike for ya. See ya soon.
    Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Feeding your addiction

More....

Black ano, size large, 10.75lbs

Feeding your addiction
    Raw, also size large

No, that's not phonetic
    What is up with the 5mm allen head bolts? Where are the t40 bolts??

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The colors look way different from the black color like stated on the website of Turner. It's not shiny at all, is it?

What do you think about the durability of the black colour? Is it very durable?

Otherwise it would be better to think about the raw one since a scratch will not be noticed as much as on a black frame

What headset are most guys running on a Highline? It has a 1.5 headtube but everybody is running a Fox DH40 which has a 1 1/8 headtube, right?
    Last edited by msxx; 03-11-2006 at 12:28 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Interesting that the linkage brace is welded.....
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Flyin Canine
    Either they are running reducer cups like the E13 ones or like me they will run a reducer headset that is 1.5 outer and 1-1/8th inner. On a side note:

Why are the highlines the first Turners I have ever seen that do not have faced head tubes and BB shells?

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    On a side note: Why are the highlines the first Turners I have ever seen that do not have faced head tubes and BB shells?
    This must be just another effort for Turner to increase profitability of their frames, just like the switch from Horst link to faux-bar.

(Just kidding)
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Why are the highlines the first Turners I have ever seen that do not have faced head tubes and BB shells?
    I would suggest that they are probably faced and chased before coating, hence no visible indication of it.
    I would want to try a BB in there to see how it fitted before getting the cutting tool out though.

on a routine expedition
    I think it's because of the finish. No powdercoat to remove. I noticed that royta's flux wasn't faced after ano either.

I can't wait to see one of the black Highlines built up. That matt black is a sweet finish.
    Last edited by Marshall Willanholly; 03-11-2006 at 03:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack
    I think it's because of the finish. No powdercoat to remove. I noticed that royta's flux wasn't faced after ano either.

I can't wait to see one of the black Highlines built up. That matt black is a sweet finish.
    That is what I was thinking Ano adds 2/5 th's of #ugger all, so no work to be done.

Xtremely Moderate
    Soot black is very sexy. Raw by virtue of the name may be even sexier.

But, I'm still pissed that DT didn't make a "big boy" size for us lurps.
    A 24" TT for a 6'5" ape like me ain't gonna cut it.

I would gladly ditch the noisy VPF for a Highline or a Gran Mal if they were large enough for me.

Signed,

Large and disgruntled.
    eio
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    FWIW: My black PC Spot frame.

I love that HT logo in Larry's pic. That just looks sexy!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm just awake from a restless night....

*highline* *RF Diabolus -83mm* *what fork, whisper whisper* *highline* * I want to order* *hmmm*

I want one!!!!

Seriously: At the website of RaceFace there state that the Diabolus crankset is compatible with 83mm shell width, don't I need any kind of special version? Or will any 2006 version of the Diabolus do fine?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm just awake from a restless night....

*highline* *RF Diabolus -83mm* *what fork, whisper whisper* *highline* * I want to order* *hmmm*

I want one!!!!

Seriously: At the website of RaceFace there state that the Diabolus crankset is compatible with 83mm shell width, don't I need any kind of special version? Or will any 2006 version of the Diabolus do fine?

grumpy northerner
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by msxx
    Raceface make three versions, as far as I can tell - 68/73mm, 83mm and 100mm.
    I haven't fallen off, I'm just having a rest.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Just kidding. You are a temptor, Lucifer. I have to resist.

Jaybo
    Hmmm.... Buy a bunch of new parts and rebuild the RFX, or buy a bunch of new parts and a Highline?

Get thee behind me, Satan!

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack

These will both get built up in the next couple of weeks, I'll post pics when they're done. 888's, Hadley/6.1 wheelsets, Saint cranks, etc. etc.

Larry

Hisforever
    i man rawking the 83mm diabolous. stout!

jus mek sure you order an 83mm spindle
    Jesus Saves

over researcher
    I really like the engraved, or laser etched, or whatever it is, logo on the head tube. It's subtle, but permanent. I wonder if a little gold, or some other color, inlay would look good?

mtbr member
    I am 6.5" too and wondering about the large Highline's TT-length of 24" in my case being sufficient? Do you think the vpfree's 24.9" TT is optimal in your case? What stem length
    did you mount?

as a side note: for XC- & trail-riding I like the sasquatch's 26.5" TT.
    Last edited by ritzelflitzer; 03-12-2006 at 12:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Sizing?

What about the sizing of the Highline?

I'm driving a Large Five Spot, however I am on the edge between Large and Extra Large with 6.2
    The large feels very suitable for me, but when I look to the sizecharts the Large Highline has a slightly longer toptube but a far bigger seattube?

Should I pick the medium? With the 0,9 inch smaller toptube and 1,5 inch shorter seattube?

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by ritzelflitzer
    I am 6.5" too and wondering about the large Highline's TT-length of 24" in my case being sufficient? Do you think the vpfree's 24.9" TT is optimal in your case? What stem length
    did you mount?

as a side note: for XC- & trail-riding I like the sasquatch's 26.5" TT.
    Yes.
    A 24.9" TT + 60mm stem = juuuuuuuust right.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Now with 3 more inches!
    Am I seeing things or do the black and the silver frames pictured have a different chainstay bridge/yoke/thingummy?

Looks like an I-beam profile on the silver one, but the black only has it on the bottom.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Change in design between batches?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Yes.
    A 24.9" TT + 60mm stem = juuuuuuuust right.
    huuh I am feeling handicapped because of my body heigth once more sniff ...
    If the Highline is going to be a success, maybe DT decides on offering a XL sized
    Highline (TT = 25") next year?

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    Am I seeing things or do the black and the silver frames pictured have a different chainstay bridge/yoke/thingummy?

Looks like an I-beam profile on the silver one, but the black only has it on the bottom.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Change in design between batches?
    I don't think You're seeing things. Just Different sides. The top&bottom carveout is on the non-drive side of the yoke on both bikes. The carveout/standoff is only on the bottom of the drive side. Since the raw frame yoke shots are only from the non-drive side you have to look over to the other side to see the cable stop lined up on the top edge of the drive side bottom yoke to see they are the same.

If I didn't loose you on that.

Re the Ano finish and facing. It's my understanding that Ano is deposited into the surface. It does not produce significant accumulations on the surface. So if a frame is faced and chased before Ano, it should still have true surfaces. I suspect the Ano on the BB face and threads would wear off with installation and removal of the BB anyway.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 03-12-2006 at 09:04 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Doh! Yep, you're right Zilla.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

A Santa Cruz or a Turner? Hmmmm

What do you think?

Jaybo

PS tongue in cheek.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 02-27-2009 at 09:23 PM.

~~~~~~~~
    thanks for the detailed photos Larry, photos have not been a priority for me this weekend , lots of cool details to show off for sure.

I'm headed back into the garage to correct a few things and hopefully I'll get a big climb and descent in today. I made it up to the trailhead yesterday with my photographer in tow, just in time for some cold, foggy, rainy weather to roll in, rode about a half mile of dirt road, and my cassette came loose . Need to remember to bring a more complete tool kit with me for the first rides.

Setting up this bike and shock has been a project, lots of new experience's, the worst being trying to get a tire on those wtb rims with out poking a hole in the tube .

I hearby proclaim the week of March 12-19 as Highline week on the Turner forum .

mtbr member

WTB Rims

Airwreck,
    I feel your pain on those WTB rims. I have the same rims for my DH wheels, and I have wasted a few tubes trying to get tires on. I usually use one plastic lever and one metal lever. The plastic to hold the bead, and the metal to pry the rest of the bead on the rim. It also seems to help if you keep the tire and tube in the center of the rime until you get the whole tire mounted.
    I have been thinking of trying the STANS DH kit for a while now. I am just too lazy to take the tires off and have to remount them again.

Looking forward to seeing the build pics.

On another note, does anybody know how short a shock you can go on the highline, safely? For example could you run an 8.25 x 2.25 shock. Get around 7 inches and lower the BB a bit?

Thaks,
    TG

No, that's not phonetic
    Are those the Laserdisc DH rims? I have WTB Dual Duty rims and like them a lot. I can shake tires off them. No mounting issues at all, no tools. They have held up extremely well too. 570g each.

On another note, does anybody know how short a shock you can go on the highline, safely? For example could you run an 8.25 x 2.25 shock. Get around 7 inches and lower the BB a bit?
    The stock HL shock is a 8.75 x 2.75 I think. As long as you subtract the same increment from both the stroke and i2i you should be ok. 8.5 x 2.5, 8.25 x 2.25, etc. should work.

A 2.25" stroke shock would give you about 6.5" of travel.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 03-12-2006 at 11:51 AM.

No, that's not phonetic
    Double post. Stupid new board software...

The Turner website says the HL takes a 150mm rear hub. Is this correct? Is it not a 135mm TA? It seems like there has been some contradictory info on this.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 03-12-2006 at 12:11 PM.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Hey, is that one mine??
    Be sure to build it with a Gonzo-pleasing light trail-bike build

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Be sure to build it with a Gonzo-pleasing light trail-bike build
    I have a Reba and some 1400g wheels set aside. Fear not.

Just kidding. I don't have a HL on order..... yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

big bikes

150 x 83 is the new standard, or so it is this year. It really seems to be better accepted than the 1.5 HT of a few years ago.

The glass bead and ano finish is done after machining. Grease 'er up and drive em home.

Someone is riding the bike with a DHX air in 8.5 x 2.5 and is stoked whatever that is worth. 36 Van on the front. How low do you want the BB Air? What HA? I will check to see what the #'s flop out to be.

Jay, I hope that 1/4 of the Bullet riders buy a Highline over the next few years!! SC sold more of those per year before they were stopped than all Turners combined, in 2006!

To all you giants, this ain't no XC bike. It is coming to my attention that most riders on Spots and up are riding more upright than I ever thought. Short stems, lots of spacers and bars that are notably higher than the seat leather. And this is a XC bike! After riding with different free riders and watching even more last month in Az I don't think the large is going to be to far off for those that want to push the limits of the bike and their ability. My old XC racing roots are slow to die, as I ride my Spot with some forward bend and the grips within an inch of the seat (above) But FR is a whole different type of riding, now I am not as talented as Dusty but I can understand the new style of sitting up like a motorcycle and riding a bike like it has a motor, or at least bindings. Why would a TT for FR be the same as a trail bike. If one rides a XL Spot the Highline HAS to be shorter it just won't work any other way.

DT

Flyin Canine
    One guy noticed the assymetrical design of the chainstay yoke. It was most likely done to provide clearance for the front derailluer cage under full suspension travel.

Dave: Thanks for the answer on the facing of the tubes.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    My old XC racing roots are slow to die
    Hee hee, funny to think about how much things have changed eh?. I remember when the norm was fully rigid with 140mm stem and 4" drop from your saddle to a 22" wide flat bar. Wasn't all that long ago.

Larry

mtbr member

Thanks DT

Thanks for all the info. DT.
    As far as the angles go. I thought similar HA (66.5), around a 14.25 to 14.5 BB, while running an '06 66 (555mm) would be pretty sweet. What travel will the Highline get with the 8.5 x2.5? Around 7.25 as Skullcrack said?

The bike sure looks great. Keep up the great work. Thanks for all the info. you post on this site

Turner owner for life.
    TG

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    My old XC racing roots are slow to die...
    ha ha.
    who woulda thought.
    20 years ago my freeride rig was kicking asss on the xc circuit

banned
    airwreck, I see you're sporting the highly-vented summer helmet in that photo. and you've lowered your saddle substantially for the upcoming descent, I see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast