mtbr member

HL Spot + 5.5 Rockers + Dual ring cranks = Bad?

Can I use a dual ring crank on my old Spot with 5.5 rockers? I just got the RP2 Pushed to work with 5.5 rockers and in the process bought Shimano SLX dual ring cranks with a 36 tooth ring.

According to the Turner 2007 FAQ: "The newer 5.5 rockers will require the user to make sure they don't run any chainring smaller than a 44 tooth or lower the front derailleur due to a bash guard."

Should I sell off these cranks and go back to a triple? Any ideas?
    ---Man who walk thru airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.

Moosehead
    Many run dualies with bash, I did so with 22/34/bash on a HL. You should be fine. Most don't lower the FD at all for the dual, I did so a slight bit to get less rub in granny.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I've got a HL with the 5.5 setup as a 22/34/bash. No problems at all.

%$#$*!
    Check clearances by removing the shock and measuring out 5.5 inches, center to center of the rocker mount and lower shock mount (this will show you where the rockers will be a full bottoming). You can also check tire clearances too as some larger tires have been known to rub the front derailleur cable stop at full bottom out on older model HL spots.

mtbr member
    May 2008

5 Spot Dualie

I have my 05 HL spot set up w/ push rockers (5.75") and a dual ring, bashguard and chain tensioner with no problems. Definitely check clearances w/o the shock, but I think it should work. You could email Greg at turner also. Good luck.

Ultimate Poseur
    I'm on a HL Spot with 5.75 push rockers, 24/36, and Sram X-9 front der. I set it up with the 42t big ring installed then double checked the clearances like beefmagic suggests and no worries. Basically keep your derailleur at the height that is correct for a triple and you wont have any problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    22-36+bash with 2.5 tyres and now a blackspire stinger and an slx double front mech which gives more tyre clearance, all works fine

jrm
    mtbr member

Yup SLX 663 FD

compact cage will clear everything. Nice bike

[/QUOTE]
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys