mtbr member

HL rear axle question

Hi folks,

So I'm in the really early stages of building my Highline and noticed something which seemed weird as I threaded the axle through the rear dropouts for the first time. Frame is new out of the box.

Is it normal that the axle threads bottom out against the drive side axle hole with well over 1/4"of axle left outside of the dropout on the non drive side? I was expecting a little wiggle since I don't have my hub yet, but this much seems strange. Do the dropouts get spaced that much wider with the 150mm hub?

Woulda added a pic but the wife seems to have misplaced the cam

Thanks

Lay off the Levers
    You need the hub first. If you keep threading w/o it you'll compress the dropouts together.

Put a wheel on and let us know what you get.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    You need the hub first. If you keep threading w/o it you'll compress the dropouts together.

Put a wheel on and let us know what you get.
    I can't push the dropouts together with the axle even if I wanted to since it bottoms out on the drive side with plenty of axle left.
    I should be able to get my hands on a hub in the next week or so and I can post back up then if it's still an issue.
    I'm used to dropouts being slightly wider then the hub width, they get snugged up as the axle is tightened. In this case, at the moment it appears as if the dropouts are much narrower then the hub width that's all.

Build More = Ride More
    If you don't have a hub just measure the 150mm.

The end of the threaded section of axle should be pretty much flush with the outside end of the derailleur hanger, or poke out a little. If it is recessed even the smallest amount, you might have issues.

If the axle sits flush with the derailleur hanger and you still have a lot of axle sticking out the brake side, then your rear triangle could be pretty far out of spec, because you might have to spread the dropouts apart to squeeze the hub in. Mine was flush even without the hub in there.

Hope that helps.

Lay off the Levers
    With the bolt tightened down to the end of the threading I noticed my dropouts compressed too. NBD IMO, since there was no hub at the time. I'd rather have extra threading on the bolt to make sure it's torqued against the hub than the end of the thread.

Get a hub first.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info guys. I'll try to fit a hub in there this weekend if all goes well.
    Is it normal that the axle threads into the drive side dropout? Even with the hanger removed, only the threaded portion of the axle can fit through the drive side dropout, the hole is smaller in diameter then the non drive side dropout and fits in the threads but not the full axle width.

I'll post up again in a coupla days. Pulling the parts bike to pieces this weekend to start my build.
    Hope I can find the bloody cam as well for a pic ..... rumour has it the 1 yr old was playing with it

mtbr member
    Well my 440 hub just came in. I was able to install it just fine but now I see what the problem was.

There was extra material in the drop out side axle hole which prevented the axle width from passing, only the threads cleared. The material was shaved off when I pushed the axle through and tightened it down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Flyin Canine
    oh that is weird. My slipped right through.

mtbr member
    That almost looks like stripped threads

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime
    That almost looks like stripped threads
    Before the hub showed up I was pretty puzzled. The extra material in the dropout acted like threads to the axle which meant it bottomed out before the axle was all the way into the drive side.
    I've since cleaned up the dropout and everything seems fine, the axle threads all the way through to just beyond the hanger.