mtbr member

History of suspention, Mono,Prolink,...?

So,
    Is the DW link the final finish? All of you over 40 folk must be looking at the evolution of the Mtbike and saying Dejavu all over again!(As Yogi would put it!) We MOTO HEADS have seen this from the 80's .Yamaha had the Mono Shock,(70,s) Honda had the Pro Link,(80's) Suzuki had the Full Floater,(80's) and Kawasaki had the Uni-Trak...(I think.) Any how..
    They all settled on one no-name Link. Except KTM, and a hand full of botiqe brands...(you like how I mixed moto and botique in the same link )
    Well I can't help but think in a few years all MTbikes will be on the same page and running the same link.
    Last edited by Guitarzan415; 09-29-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Rolling
    Are you saying all moto bikes are running a link similar to the DW link?

Seems not.

Marketing knows no end.

Knomer
    This comparison is comletely useless since you don't have to pedal an MX bike.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Perhaps it is, for now, but what would happen once the hammertime and 6+ internal gear rear hub become mainstream and designers can now optimize linkages based on a single chainline like in a moto? Don't you think a single pivot could be just as good as any 4 bar linkage?
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Guess I was not clear. It was more of a thought and observation of what took place back when Moto-X manufactures all had "the" perfect linkage. Seems the Mtbike could be headed down that same path.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Perhaps it is, for now, but what would happen once the hammertime and 6+ internal gear rear hub become mainstream and designers can now optimize linkages based on a single chainline like in a moto? Don't you think a single pivot could be just as good as any 4 bar linkage?
    Apparently not...or at least the marketing would have us believe it as far as braking is concerned.

My personal experience differes from that assertion though.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Apparently not...or at least the marketing would have us believe it as far as braking is concerned.
    Perhaps that may be true; in theory.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 09-29-2008 at 02:03 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan415
    Guess I was not clear. It was more of a thought and observation of what took place back when Moto-X manufactures all had "the" perfect linkage. Seems the Mtbike could be headed down that same path.
    I see what you are getting at, but it's not quite the same comparison. Except for some very rare MX bikes they have all been single pivot and all the current MX bikes I know of are single pivot. MX linkage systems have been to alter the shock rate not wheel path. This can and does have an effect on the bump handling, acceleration, and braking of an MX bike but it is not the same as a DW vs Single Pivot vs VPP vs ICT vs Maestro vs Faux Bar....
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's