mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Hiring a Six Pack in Moab? Worth it?

Off to Moab for 10 days next week Taking my 5-spot but we hear there is an uplift and some pseudo downhilly courses. I see that the bike shops hire our six packs and norcos so I thought I'd get one for a couple of days and have a play.

Can anyone recommend where to go for a bit of hucking (!) action and whether this uplift (I'll see if I can find the details again) has any descent trails coming from it?

Oh and just how much fun am I going to have in Moab?

mtbr member

You'll love it you *****!

We only had one day there and rode Porc Rim from Moab as a loop - a big day out and one of the best trails I've ever ridden. 5 Spot is more than enough for this trail, but then you know I'm not a hucker in any case. :^)

Have fun.
    'The Fear' is your friend...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    ....but then you know I'm not a hucker in any case. :^)

Have fun.
    Deano - Andy Hooper is coming. You know what that means. He's determined to find somewhere to ride this 7in Norco one of the shops is hiring and I just kind of got sucked it...... oops!

mtbr member

Lol!

Andy's great fun, just don't follow him off everything - you'll die! Especially on a 7" Norco; I'm worried for him already!

Check this thread for some advice from Macrider:

Homers on parade on Gooseberry...

"also, if you do Porcupine Rim - head up beyond the normal start (the begining of the climb) - keep driving up until the road gets flat and you cross a cattle guard - there is singletrack to the left of the fence/cattle guard - there are two branches - you take the left-hand that follows the barb-wire fence for a bit - this adds some miles of very tasty singletrack"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-Leigh
    Off to Moab for 10 days next week Taking my 5-spot but we hear there is an uplift and some pseudo downhilly courses. I see that the bike shops hire our six packs and norcos so I thought I'd get one for a couple of days and have a play.

Can anyone recommend where to go for a bit of hucking (!) action and whether this uplift (I'll see if I can find the details again) has any descent trails coming from it?

Oh and just how much fun am I going to have in Moab?
    5 Spot is probably enough bike for Moab - nothing requres a bigger bike (except maybe hucking in Bartlet Wash) - but you'll have more fun on something bigger...for Porcupine Rim, for Poison Spider/Portal - mmmmm 6 Pack rental - for Behind the Rocks, Amasa Back/Jackson's 5 Spot is plenty

recommended:
    Porc Rim from upper singletrack - adds tasty miles
    Behind The Rocks - it's a looooong ride - but so worth it - a great "epic" ride - easy to get lost, map, compass and ride description a must - plenty of food & water too - some of the Jeep road techy sections are such a blast - chances abound for fun side action...
    Amasa Back/Jackson's - climb Amasa Back to the top, come back down to the start of Jackson's and enjoy the ride down...
    Poison Spider/Portal - hate the struggle up PS (every sandy section sucking the life outta ya) - but Portal is super fun - when the sign says dismount & walk, it MEANS it - one misstep and it's 500' straight down to the Colorado...

Rolling
    I never feel like I have a big enough bike for Moab. So do it!

BTW, I think the lift is officially closed (http://nature.org/wherewework/northa...press1789.html) and may already be in the process of being dismantled.

But in a geological sense, there is plenty of "uplift" in moab.
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-06-2005 at 12:47 PM.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-Leigh
    Off to Moab for 10 days next week
    Damn dude, that makes for a looooooooooong work week.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

... I guess you won't be
    a spot would be fine for any trail in moab, but on a trail like porcupine rim where it is basically one huge climb followed by mile after mile of downhill fun, I believe you would be well served by renting as big a bike as you can muster...Porcupine rim trail is right outside of town, so it's very easy to rent a freeride bike in town and either ride up, or pay 10 bucks and have someone drive/shuttle [ask around at bike shops - some offer this convienence] you up to the trailhead - ride the trail, then coast back into town on the main highway......a big bike allows you to disregard the buffed in trail formed by normal xc bikes, and just blaze your own course down the "trail" - if you can call it that...! But for other rides out there where you are doing a lot of miles [and hills], just to get to the fun stuff, you will want your 5-spot.

Slickrock trail is pretty easy, but incredibly challenging, but it can wear you down - better use your spot for that infamous trail - you will appreciate it on the constant up/down rock dome climbs....

Moab is definitely one of the more bizarre places for scenery, but to really see some amazing natural formations on a huge scale, venture out of moab to the nearby Arches National Park - it's very close to moab. Pictures cannot do it justice....its astounding.

and...last but not least, buy yourself a membership to Woody's Bar, in downtown moab - it's definitely worth the paltry sum, and you get to have your share of cold ones [choose your beer carefully, since store bought beer is only 3.2% alcohol - microbrews in town can crank up the alcohol per volume in their house beers] in a genuine non-touristy hang out.....lotsa fun.

You would have to try very hard not to have fun there....
    Last edited by jokermtb; 10-06-2005 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks all. Esp. the bit about the beer!

I like the idea of shuttling up on a bigger bike just for the experience of it.

I'm far too excited about this trip for a man of my age

mtbr member
    The monster offroad climb up Porc would be a bit of a bore on a FR rig though wouldn't it? It's a great challenge to see if you can pick a route through the grippy rock all the way up to the STUPENDOUS view point.

Also, it's a 2 hour drive to Fruita. Pop into OTE, sink a fine coffee, then go have F U N on the trails.

Jealous :^/
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Deano - I like those pictures. Alot. Cheers, I'll send you a postcard or something if that'd help!

mtbr member
    I'm saving to go to Utah in 2007. Planning three weeks, Moab, St. George, Durango (okay, not Utah), Fruita etc. etc.. Every time I see a pic or hear a description my heart rate goes up!
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

Anytime. Anywhere.

Last years Moab trip

I took the 5 Spot down to Moab last year. Here is link to the report. I didn't know that the local micro brews could go over the limit.

Christmas rider port
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member

either bike will do great.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I took the 5 Spot down to Moab last year. Here is link to the report. I didn't know that the local micro brews could go over the limit.

Christmas rider port
    Just returned from the M-F week and the spot was great for me. CHawk had no issues pedaling his pack up porc rim, or anywhere else.

As for the beer...Moab Brewery serves no beer higher than 3.2% abv according to the 2 servers I asked.

You are going to looove Fruita.