ride your bike

Highline wait time, availability, questions.......

Hey guys. I'm a closet Homer ('03 5spot) and I'm close to getting a DH/FR bike because we're moving to western Washington. Been perusing transition, ironhorse, and yeti because of price alone. Then I started reading in here on the highline. Admitting to myself how much I absolutely LOVE my spot I thought "why not another Turner?". Fer chrissakes, the owner posts in here frequently with tech support. Also, having been in biz for myself I appreciate his stated outlook on biz practice. My only reservation has been price, but a yeti as-x with an older shock is 1200 online. IMO a Turner's gotta be worth 800 more for having a better shock, and well, it's a Turner designed bike. And my wife approves of me getting a full zoot bike right off the bat so she doesn't have to deal with rampant UGI later on. Not to mention I know a couple guys riding many years old DHR's and they're still rippin'.

Anyhoo, I want to know what the wait time is for one of these frames is. Also, should it have an 8" fork, or can the rear suss be adjusted so I can put a 66rc2x on it? How does it go uphill? I know, it's made for going down. But sometimes pedaling is the only option.

Thanks for any info or links guys.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

truth seeker
    Try to find a shop that has one in stock. I got mine from Go-Ride. My wait time was only a few days. Competitive Cyclist in Arkansas also has a decent sized inventory of Turner frames.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    Try to find a shop that has one in stock. I got mine from Go-Ride. My wait time was only a few days. Competitive Cyclist in Arkansas also has a decent sized inventory of Turner frames.
    Thanks...so they're out there waiting for me. I gotta sell this damn house.

No, that's not phonetic
    I asked Turner about availability and they said the first run was pretty much "spoken for" (but that includes bikes on showroom floors, so there may be some out there in retail shops like reptile indicated). The next batch is probably a ways out and I thought that only about 200 would be made this year? Start calling and have a deposit ready.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

oly
    mtbr member
    I sent you a PM about meeting up. If you wnat to see one in person, I live in the same area as you.

You know you want one... and you have permission.....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    Hey guys. I'm a closet Homer ('03 5spot) and I'm close to getting a DH/FR bike because we're moving to western Washington. Been perusing transition, ironhorse, and yeti because of price alone. Then I started reading in here on the highline. Admitting to myself how much I absolutely LOVE my spot I thought "why not another Turner?". Fer chrissakes, the owner posts in here frequently with tech support. Also, having been in biz for myself I appreciate his stated outlook on biz practice. My only reservation has been price, but a yeti as-x with an older shock is 1200 online. IMO a Turner's gotta be worth 800 more for having a better shock, and well, it's a Turner designed bike. And my wife approves of me getting a full zoot bike right off the bat so she doesn't have to deal with rampant UGI later on. Not to mention I know a couple guys riding many years old DHR's and they're still rippin'.

Anyhoo, I want to know what the wait time is for one of these frames is. Also, should it have an 8" fork, or can the rear suss be adjusted so I can put a 66rc2x on it? How does it go uphill? I know, it's made for going down. But sometimes pedaling is the only option.

Thanks for any info or links guys.
    smart choice Jube.

Mrs Jube made a smart approval too. is that related to her new Julianna?

I'd say if you like the 5-Spot's ride you should stick to the Highline or a V-Tach. the Highline and V-Tach probably ride very similarly. my 6-Pack and V-Tach ride very similarly.

Iron Horse Sunday is wicked too if you plan to DH but I'd not want to use one for techie FR based on what I've read about the steering being dead slow at low speeds. another bonus with IH is that Dave Weagle posts on RideMonkey about as frequently as Dave Turner posts in here.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    smart choice Jube.

Mrs Jube made a smart approval too. is that related to her new Julianna?

I'd say if you like the 5-Spot's ride you should stick to the Highline or a V-Tach. the Highline and V-Tach probably ride very similarly. my 6-Pack and V-Tach ride very similarly.

Iron Horse Sunday is wicked too if you plan to DH but I'd not want to use one for techie FR based on what I've read about the steering being dead slow at low speeds. another bonus with IH is that Dave Weagle posts on RideMonkey about as frequently as Dave Turner posts in here.
    **Oly, you've got PM**

No not really tied to the Juli purchase....well, maybe.

My friend is an IH and Yeti dealer in Seattle but I'm sure he can hook me up with a killer highline build kit as well. I got official word last night: "That new bike will not go on the credit card." So there ya go. When the house sells (soon I hope) I'll be scrambling with cash in hand looking for a frame.

I'm guessing a med is what I'll need? I ride a med spot. 5'10", 190 lbs, 30.5" inseam.....

oly
    mtbr member
    Tried to PM ya, but box full.

When I get back, we should hook up for a meet and greet ride out in the forest. I can show you some other good stuff too around the area...

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by oly
    Tried to PM ya, but box full.

When I get back, we should hook up for a meet and greet ride out in the forest. I can show you some other good stuff too around the area...
    Sorry, emptied out now.

Sounds good.

My cup runneth over
    FWIW - Larry had a couple sitting in his shop yesterday - can't say if they are already spoken for though...

(maybe they will be now! )

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    **Oly, you've got PM**

No not really tied to the Juli purchase....well, maybe.

My friend is an IH and Yeti dealer in Seattle but I'm sure he can hook me up with a killer highline build kit as well. I got official word last night: "That new bike will not go on the credit card." So there ya go. When the house sells (soon I hope) I'll be scrambling with cash in hand looking for a frame.

I'm guessing a med is what I'll need? I ride a med spot. 5'10", 190 lbs, 30.5" inseam.....
    I'd say medium. I'm the same height, 155 lbs, 35" sleeves, 32" inseam. my Med 6-Pack fits perfectly with a straight (no setback) seatpost and a 70mm stem. for more XC bias I might run a 90mm stem, but nothing longer than that. on a FR rig, 70mm stems are almost too long. depending on how much climbing you expect to do, you may want to go to shorty 50mm.

Flyin Canine
    I'll chime in and echo what Gonzo said about the highline riding similar to the 6 pack/RFX. I have an RFX and just got my highline built up last week. Got about 3 rides on it and then raced it in the CHDH in livermore this weekend. 5th place! Nice. I guess you can say I felt at home on it right away.

oly
    mtbr member
    Gongrats on the 5th place.

Im about 4 full rides on mine and am totally adjusted to it (part of that is just retraining the big bike skills). I found the HL jumps really well. I might have some photos tomorrow to proove im not just an armchair e-biker.....