mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Highline Testing (my 3 mo. review)

Just thought I would post up some info about my experience w/the Highline so far.

Despite the weather I've been able to get alot of riding in. As some of you know I was running the frame w/the shorter shock for a bit (7.875 x 2.25.) The bike felt great but I did infact have some tire rub on full compression (despite my frame being a small.)

After switching to the standard shock I realize that it may have been a bit *too* slack (Yes, I think that's possible .) Despite having a slightly higher BB now I feel alot more comfortable cornering with the normal shock on.. Perhaps it's because I'm used to a slightly steeper HA.

My previous ride was a Bottle Rocket (I swapped all the components over except the rear wheel and crankset.) I really enjoyed the low standover and ability to toss the bike around. The highline really exceeded my expectations by retaining these same characteristics but having more travel available for the big hits.

As far as pedal-abilty I think the Highline wins here as well. I'm not sure if the main pivot placement is better or I have my suspension dialed but I think the HL is a slightly more efficient climber. Weight is probably sixes (I don't really feel that the HL is a heavier bike.) Allthough I don't have any actual weight comparison it's pretty amazing that the frames are about the same weight considering the highline has a larger bb, wider rear hub spacing and longer stroke shock. I really think Dave spent a good amount of time trimming the "fat" on this frame. I'm actually thinking about racing Super D on this bike because I'm not gnar enough for DH.

For maintenance the HL wins here also. Despite some really soggy/muddy riding conditions this thing hasn't so much as made a squeek. The der hanger is also absolute beef and despite it's expensive price ($40.00) I don't think Ill be shearing one off unless I have a seriously freak accident.

Bottom line they are both excellent bikes. While the Transition frame may give you a little more freeride-gnar 'cred and the Turner will get you into the "bike snob" club.. the reduced maintenance, excellent customer service and increased travel (-such a crutch! p) were really the deciding factors for me.

On to the action pics :

Thanks again to Kris and the guys @go-ride for hooking me up and having the patience to answer all my spring questions.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I always thought the BR would pedal quite well with it's steep seat tube angle and shortish travel.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    Thanks for your thoughts. I always thought the BR would pedal quite well with it's steep seat tube angle and shortish travel.
    I guess I should clarify.. For whatever reason the Highline seems to climb better than the BR when seated. On the BR when climbing seated I could glance down and notice that upper link moving a pretty substantial amount with each pedal stroke.

The Highline doesn't have a noticeable amount of this movement when seated..

The BR did accelerate great when "out of the saddle." But I'd say the Highline is capable of the same "sprinting" acceleration.

I wish I had both bikes built at the same time to ensure I was spinning in the same chainring and give something more scientific..

Team Sanchez
    Nice review D. Are you up in Bountiful or SLC?
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Nice review D. Are you up in Bountiful or SLC?
    I'm actually in the South Ogden area. Just north of Bountiful and SLC.

When it gets too hot in St. G be sure to head up our way and give me a ring

I think I'll be back down in St. G the weekend of May 10th. Again, thanks for the directions to the Barrel trail. Despite destroying my brand new rear wheel (fixed'r up w E-tape.) we had a blast up there.

Team Sanchez
    Will do DR. I'll be heading up there a few times this summer to ride Deer Valley. I'll be sure to keep in touch.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIDE
    I think I'll be back down in St. G the weekend of May 10th. Again, thanks for the directions to the Barrel trail. Despite destroying my brand new rear wheel (fixed'r up w E-tape.) we had a blast up there.

nice crater in the landing . Is that what did in your rear wheel?

that is so funny to see the lyric on there!

how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    nice crater in the landing . Is that what did in your rear wheel?

that is so funny to see the lyric on there!

how tall are you?
    The drop right before that one.. which is very similar to he one shown only the landing is a knife-edged rock face ate my brand new outlaw. (the team sanchez guys know which one I'm talkin' about..)

I was the guinea pig and I typically go way to fast and overshoot stuff. I figured I'd roll that one slow because there was no real horizontal gap to speak of.

I was trying out a small block 8 which also didn't help (they are thin casing tires.)

I had to use E-tape to hold the damn bead on for the rest of the day. It worked out pretty well after a few skid turns.. I was able to eat the e-tape off the knobbies and just retain it in between.

I'm 5'6 155lbs..

Team Sanchez
    The drop right before that one is this one....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    The drop right before that one is this one....
    Yup.. that dastardly rock is the one that taco'd my wheel.

After almost blowing clear over the mesa landing on this step-up (which is a left hand turn-stepdown-stepup combo away from the wheel-eater)

I figured I better slow it down a bit.. I was rewarded with a nice CLANG-Hissssss for that mistake

~~~~~~~~
    sorry to hear about the rear wheel, kinda surprised as I've done more nasty rear wheel cases than I can remember over the past few years, many times thinking my rear wheel would be toast, and pleasently surprised with their survival.

ELc, it's so funny to look at your hits and compare them to some of our stuff, just replace the rocks with trees.

We did find some rocks to stack recently and put together a nice rapid fire hit line that goes gap to hip to this rock drop without much time between them to think!

thats right living legend
    Got a pic of the hip?
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Got a pic of the hip?
    I've got tons of p&s video, that's a frame grab, I'll see what I can find.

In the meantime, heres a different one featuring our resident grom, way more fun to watch than us oldfarts.
    [SIZE=1]sorry for the threadjack, no highline in this vid, just a little kid on a hardtail...

[/SIZE]
    gromhip from eh on Vimeo.

[QUOTE=airwreck]I've got tons of p&s video, that's a frame grab, I'll see what I can find.

Eww! Very nice!!! I love hip jumps, and for some reason I can do them.

Super FUN!!!
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

~~~~~~~~
    hey, this thread hijacking stuff is kinda fun .

trying to bring it BOT... so here's one of some oldude Highline testing (2 year review ), with hip, while I continue to look for a frame to grab that matches DRIDE's first shot for comparison of similar height rider on 06 versus 08 highline. the bike looks so small and I'm anticipating going to the smaller 08...

hilinetesty from eh on Vimeo.

Now THAT looks like fun!

I don't know if I could hit that or not, but it's sure cool to think I could?
    Can't stop, Won't stop.