mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Highline shock I2I preference?

Hi all, so I'm taking the plunge and am selling my Demo 7 to get a Highline. Has any one gone from the 8.75x2.75 to 8.5x2.5 and then back to the 8.75? If so, why? I'm curious because while I know with the 8.5x2.5 the geo rocks and the bike rails, but I'm just concerned that I'll miss having the full 8" of travel.

Yeah yeah it's a crutch, but being a plower I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for any input.

Hisforever
    as a plower you could stoke the fire with 8" of travel.

save some coin and pick up an extra shock and decide for yourself. then you will start acting like a homer.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I only rode mine in the 8" mode (stock DHX 5) with a 66 up front, as such I did feel like I was a little to far forward when it got steep. Now in 7" (marz roco rc) It just feels right. Coming off a Demo 9 I still feel like I can plow but now its just as easy to take to the air and skip over everything. I didn't really notice that much difference in plush between the 7" and 8"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks guys. When I messed around on Chainwhips HL in the past my Demo felt more plush, but it wasn't as noticable on the trail. I may just have to try both, it's just hard being a closet homer hahahaha.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    [SIZE=2]I did one ride on the shore with mine, using the 8" rear set-up, 170mm 66 in front, king headset and 2.5's. The BB was over 15". The HA was noticebly steeper, which for slow techy wet shore stuff wasn't totally a bad thing. Oddly enough, the biggest thing I noticed was less traction at the back wheel on wet steeps. I did not find the tall BB and steeper head angle confidence inspiring.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Also did a swap last year with jubilee, riding dirt merchant & a-line, we had identical builds, except I was 7&7" with the 66 and he was 8&8" with the 888 fork. The 8" set-up didn't feel any more plush, just taller and more at the bottom. Not as fun in the turns for sure IMHO. I did like the fork though.[/SIZE]

Committed
    Word on the street is FM may be stepping up to a 888 on his HL.....
    May just be rumors though.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    Word on the street is FM may be stepping up to a 888 on his HL.....
    May just be rumors though.
    You'll be the first to know

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    [SIZE=2]I did one ride on the shore with mine, using the 8" rear set-up, 170mm 66 in front, king headset and 2.5's. The BB was over 15". The HA was noticebly steeper, which for slow techy wet shore stuff wasn't totally a bad thing. Oddly enough, the biggest thing I noticed was less traction at the back wheel on wet steeps. I did not find the tall BB and steeper head angle confidence inspiring.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Also did a swap last year with jubilee, riding dirt merchant & a-line, we had identical builds, except I was 7&7" with the 66 and he was 8&8" with the 888 fork. The 8" set-up didn't feel any more plush, just taller and more at the bottom. Not as fun in the turns for sure IMHO. I did like the fork though.[/SIZE]
    I dunno man, that 888 is BUTTAH! Plushy plushwell...

Here's my thinking: If you have multiple bikes, and the HL will be your gnar shredding sled, then do it up 8". Sure it will be heavier and whatever... But for the average rider (or slightly below, like me) the 8" setup offers more forgiveness in the gnar.

And there's just "something" about having that 888 up there...feels less twitchy than any single crown. I'd say it boils down to this: In the tech/gnar do you want a Porsche-feeling bike or a Sherman tank-feeling bike. For long hot day(s) at the big W, I'll take the plush tank to save my arms and my ass!
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    I dunno man, that 888 is BUTTAH! Plushy plushwell...

Here's my thinking: If you have multiple bikes, and the HL will be your gnar shredding sled, then do it up 8".
    Dude you kinda mis-read my post

888 vs. 66: No contest.
    So I agree with you there. Stoked to join the 888 crowd myself- Only cell phone covereage is holding me up now.

In back:
    your choice of shock length on the highline does not affect leverage ratio. Since the averaged leverage ratio does not change, you don't need to change your spring rate, so for the first 5" or so the the 7.2 and 8" set-ups will feel pretty much identical. You are merely lowering the bike (and your center of gravity) and effectively ramping up sooner to lose the last 3/4" of travel.

Basically you're only going to feel the difference, on hits big enough to use that last inch of travel.

As for BB height, what is yours?
    I know that with the 66 and 8.75" shock, mine was over 15", I felt top-heavy, squirrely on skinnies and front-heavy on rollers I usually have no issue with. Cornering also felt nowhere near as flow-er-ific. As mentioned, I also felt a lack of traction since my weight was farther forward. Basically it felt like a 40lb XC tractor, instead of the long & low-slung cruise missile I had gotten used to. Keep in mind, I'm talking about my bike with the 66 and longer shock, not yours with the 888.

You've owned a bottle-rocket so you know how good a low center-of-gravity can feel. Try the shorter shock on the highline, you'll like it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Good deal, thanks for the input guys. I'm fortunate enough to have a Totem and a 888 so I'll try both and stick with the one that feels the best. I guess I kind of want my cake and eat it too since I want the cornering/low bb of the 7x7, but still want the 8x8 to make up for my skill lol...

Chainwhips HL feels awesome, so I'm most likely worrying about nothing. It's just tough going from a Demo 9, to the Demo 7 and now HL in terms of big bike travel.

~~~~~~~~
    I've run the 8.75 x 2.75 with the totem and taken some measurements and the difference in HT angle was approx .5 degree. Running more sag in the rear and firming up the front is one way to balance things out. I need to dig around to find the notes with the actual numbers.

FM, are you thinking about getting a Avy for the HL like your RFX with shorter 8.5 i2i and 2.75 stroke? I'd like to do that and run a 8 inch fork with zero stack headset. I would want to keep my 7 inch fork and 8.5x2.5 for added versatility.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    FM, are you thinking about getting a Avy for the HL like your RFX with shorter 8.5 i2i and 2.75 stroke?
    Would that even be possible?

With my v1 chainstay and 8.5 x 2.5 shock my rear tire would buzz the seatpost QR on full bottomout. Now with the v3 chainstay (which appears to be about a half inch longer) I have a little breathing room on bottomout, but not .75 inches worth.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    FM, are you thinking about getting a Avy for the HL like your RFX with shorter 8.5 i2i and 2.75 stroke? I'd like to do that and run a 8 inch fork with zero stack headset. I would want to keep my 7 inch fork and 8.5x2.5 for added versatility.
    Based on my slopestyle experiment, I think any shock needs to be over 6" at full compression to avoid tire-on-seat tube buzz on the highline. I'm plenty happy with my roco, it ain't the avy but it's more than ample for my needs. (edit- the slopstyle highline had v2 stays and a michy 2.5 DH)

Man being back at work sucks.

Must ride soooooon......

mtbr member
    In back:
    your choice of shock length on the highline does not affect leverage ratio. Since the averaged leverage ratio does not change, you don't need to change your spring rate
    Maybe the difference between 7" & 8" is not significant enough to warrant a change, but generally don't you want a lighter spring as travel increases to achieve a higher amount of sag (to keep the % sag similar)?
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Maybe the difference between 7" & 8" is not significant enough to warrant a change, but generally don't you want a lighter spring as travel increases to achieve a higher amount of sag (to keep the % sag similar)?
    Seems like a good idea, however maybe due to the leverage ratio not really changing I found I ended up liking the same spring either way. Especially the way the highline ramps up, I've never had issues bottoming or with sag running a 450lb spring at 175lbs (which seems light on paper but feels right on the bike).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    I am going to guess that in fact if you keep the same spring rate, you will achieve more sag with the longer shock because the of the progressiveness of the linkage. The leverage ratio at the beginning of the shock stroke will be higher with the longer shock than with the shorter shock.

ride your bike
    Dude you kinda mis-read my post

888 vs. 66: No contest.
    So I agree with you there. Stoked to join the 888 crowd myself- Only cell phone covereage is holding me up now.

In back:
    your choice of shock length on the highline does not affect leverage ratio. Since the averaged leverage ratio does not change, you don't need to change your spring rate, so for the first 5" or so the the 7.2 and 8" set-ups will feel pretty much identical. You are merely lowering the bike (and your center of gravity) and effectively ramping up sooner to lose the last 3/4" of travel.

Basically you're only going to feel the difference, on hits big enough to use that last inch of travel.

As for BB height, what is yours?
    I know that with the 66 and 8.75" shock, mine was over 15", I felt top-heavy, squirrely on skinnies and front-heavy on rollers I usually have no issue with. Cornering also felt nowhere near as flow-er-ific. As mentioned, I also felt a lack of traction since my weight was farther forward. Basically it felt like a 40lb XC tractor, instead of the long & low-slung cruise missile I had gotten used to. Keep in mind, I'm talking about my bike with the 66 and longer shock, not yours with the 888.

[b]You've owned a bottle-rocket so you know how good a low center-of-gravity can feel. Try the shorter shock on the highline, you'll like it![/b}
    Have to admit, I'd love to try it...sweet chariot swingin' looowwww....
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.