Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Flyin Canine

highline rollin....over everything

I got the beast done yesterday and took her out for the inagural ride.
    Feel a lot like my RFX, just on steroids. plusher, more forgiving and
    just as good in the air. Still have a bit of work to do on suspension
    tuning the front end. The rear feels pretty damn good already. I have
    a ton of pics and will be doing more rides this week so I'll save the
    full ride report for later. main points are the 888rc2x, dhx-coil,
    500lb spring. fsa platinum dh bb, fsa orbit xl reducer headset. If
    you
    guys want to see any specific parts of the frame or have any questions
    fire away.
    -Dawg
    Attached Images Attached Images

a tight kick sound
    oooooooooo, nice undercarriage
    Sweet looking ride man!

What size shock you gonna be runnin?

Flyin Canine
    Oh yeah, it's a small frame and I'm 5'7" tall. I've been riding a 16.5 2001 RFX for the past few years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Oh yeah, it's a small frame and I'm 5'7" tall. I've been riding a 16.5 2001 RFX for the past few years.

Bro that is nice!

Im 5'7" too, can you shoot me a measurment, basicly just the toptube from center of headtube to the center of the post in a straight line parallel with the ground. Any standover at all?

Thanks, Bob
    Pearl & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

a tight kick sound
    uh oh....here he goes again
    Hope this one will do it for ya Bob!

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Bro that is nice!

Im 5'7" too, can you shoot me a measurment, basicly just the toptube from center of headtube to the center of the post in a straight line parallel with the ground. Any standover at all?

Thanks, Bob

The horizontal TT measurement is 22in. Turner web site has it right. The standover at about the midpoint along the top tube is 32in which means my nuts are almost saddlebagging the top tube but not quite. Wheelbase on mine measures 44.5in.
    Last edited by shanedawg; 03-20-2006 at 09:50 PM.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    oooooooooo, nice undercarriage
    Sweet looking ride man!

What size shock you gonna be runnin?

I really like the dhx-c so far. Don't think I'll change it. I want all the travel I can get.

trail fairy
    Sweet! that frame sure comes to life built up, didn't like it the look of it as a frame only, but built it makes my list!

Enjoy, bring on the jump pics!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    The horizontal TT measurement is 22in. Turner web site has it right. The standover at about the midpoint along the top tube is 32in which means my nuts are almost saddlebagging the top tube but not quite. Wheelbase on mine measures 44.5in.
    Mate, that looks great with a 888 Im loving all the highline pics going around at the moment.

Why was everyone complaining about the highline having a long wheel base, thats still 0.3" shorter then a small DHR. Why doesn't turner have it listed on the site, is this considered long for a free ride bike???

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by cave dweller
    Mate, that looks great with a 888 Im loving all the highline pics going around at the moment.

Why was everyone complaining about the highline having a long wheel base, thats still 0.3" shorter then a small DHR. Why doesn't turner have it listed on the site, is this considered long for a free ride bike???

Yeah, I'm with you. I measured my 2001 RFX earlier and it measured 44.2. The Highline with the 888 at 44.5 in turns tight and fast. I can't believe the turning radius came out this good and the bike feels nice and nimble considering the travel. I did have a few front wheel washouts yesterday. I think the combo of slack head angle and 20mm shorter stem can account for that. It'll take a little getting used to and then I'll be dialed. I ran it down a major rutty steep section yesterday that always scared me a little on the RFX and I cleaned it first try.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm with you. I measured my 2001 RFX earlier and it measured 44.2. The Highline with the 888 at 44.5 in turns tight and fast. I can't believe the turning radius came out this good and the bike feels nice and nimble considering the travel. I did have a few front wheel washouts yesterday. I think the combo of slack head angle and 20mm shorter stem can account for that. It'll take a little getting used to and then I'll be dialed. I ran it down a major rutty steep section yesterday that always scared me a little on the RFX and I cleaned it first try.
    If anything the wheel base on the old RFX seems long.

The more i look at the highline the more i think of it is a do it all bike, a DH bike capable of riding uphills. Starting to think of getting rid of the DHR and getting one of these, they are a full 2 pounds lighter as well.

Can you do me a favour and measure the distance from the shock pin to under side of top tube, want to see if an avy chubbie would fit in there. Needs to be greater then 2.835inches, will be very tight from the look of it.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

oly
    mtbr member
    Another Killer build.

In that last pic from under the BB.... are you using the ISCG tabs to locate the guide? I found I had to trim a little of the plastic plate to get it to sit over the 3 holes. I had a photo of it, but seem to have misplaced it.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by oly
    Another Killer build.

In that last pic from under the BB.... are you using the ISCG tabs to locate the guide? I found I had to trim a little of the plastic plate to get it to sit over the 3 holes. I had a photo of it, but seem to have misplaced it.
    Naw I didn't use the bolts. The bb sandwich always served me well on the RFX and I didn't feel like trimming the plastic just yet.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by cave dweller
    If anything the wheel base on the old RFX seems long.

The more i look at the highline the more i think of it is a do it all bike, a DH bike capable of riding uphills. Starting to think of getting rid of the DHR and getting one of these, they are a full 2 pounds lighter as well.

Can you do me a favour and measure the distance from the shock pin to under side of top tube, want to see if an avy chubbie would fit in there. Needs to be greater then 2.835inches, will be very tight from the look of it.

Thanks
    I thought about getting a DHR but I a lot of the rides where I need this much travel are not shuttleable. I need to climb so this seemed perfect. I am racing it in dh this season anyway. I know the DHR would be better for racing but I already have too many bikes. I'll try to get that measurement for you.

~~~~~~~~
    cool, a normal highline .
    keeping the RFX?

Outcast
    [QUOTE=airwreck]cool, a normal highline .
    QUOTE]

Yea, the wolves in the dh forum at ridemonkey probably won't have any smack-talk about Shanedawg's highline. Oly, did you post a pic of it over there yet?

mtbr member
    I need to climb so this seemed perfect. I am racing it in dh this season anyway.
    Would you race DH with that dual ring setup, or switch to a single, larger ring for races?
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    I can't wait to get my hands on my Highline!!!! It sucks being broke... It'll take me so long to buy all the parts to build the bike up once I get the frame I'll probably be riding the last one made this year!
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Flyin Canine
    Yeah I'm keeping the rfx for now. The highline is only a pound heavier so I might be able to get away with riding it everywhere I rode the rfx but I think the fork is gonna kill me on long climbs. More likey is that I'll lighten the rfx and keep it.

Yes I'll race with the DRS. It's got a 22-36 on the front right now. Can't see needing a bigger chainring as I'm on the brakes too much and not actually pedaling much when speeds get over 20mph.

Flyin Canine
    [QUOTE=Renegade]
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    cool, a normal highline .
    QUOTE]

Yea, the wolves in the dh forum at ridemonkey probably won't have any smack-talk about Shanedawg's highline. Oly, did you post a pic of it over there yet?

They might still have issue with the wheels, they're meciless over there for sure. The wheels on there now are borrowed from a friend. I am gonna be putting hadleys and 729's on it when they come in and I get them built up.

Outcast
    Shanedawg, as badass looking as your highline is, I can't imagine how doubly badass lookin it would be if it was that same screamin yellow color your RFX is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Shanedawg, as badass looking as your highline is, I can't imagine how doubly badass lookin it would be if it was that same screamin yellow color your RFX is.

And here you were complaining about oly posting airwrecks highline!

Joking, nice looking bike. I reckon the highline in orange would look sweet, and you don't even need to get the old paint stripped.

Just roll it......
    Yes I'll race with the DRS. It's got a 22-36 on the front right now. Can't see needing a bigger chainring as I'm on the brakes too much and not actually pedaling much when speeds get over 20mph.
    Shane, how does the shifting work from the 22 to 36 up front?

That's the combo I'm going to be running up front and I'm wondering if I might need a 24T since the general rule is a 12T step between chainrings. Realistically, I'll only drop it to granny for climbs and leave it in middle for most other stuff.

Cheers,
    EBX

mtbr member
    Strange that your wheelbase measures 44.5in., the WB measurement for the small HL was 45.4in. on the Turner website.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Shane, how does the shifting work from the 22 to 36 up front?

That's the combo I'm going to be running up front and I'm wondering if I might need a 24T since the general rule is a 12T step between chainrings. Realistically, I'll only drop it to granny for climbs and leave it in middle for most other stuff.

Cheers,
    EBX

I was worried about it but so far it seems very good. Only one ride on it so far but as I was out riding I totally forgot what a mishmash ghetto setup I was riding on. I'm running a sram 990 chain with the bulged side plates, truvativ alloy inner ring for now with a shimano 36t LX steel chainring. All drivetrain parts are brand new. I can't believe it shifts at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast