Knolliac

Highline Questions

Can a longer stroke shock be used on the 2008 HL to achieve 8"+ of rear travel? If so, what length of shock is required? How much will this upset/influence geometry...BB height, head angle etc.? I am contemplating a HL built up with a dual crown fork for resort/shuttle riding and keeping my 2008 Nomad strickly for trail riding. BTW, I am in the BAy Area and the bike would see time at N*, UCSC, etc.

I am asking because at 7" I am afraid there is too much x-over with my Nomad, which is capable of a lot of punishment. Right now with 2 forks and 2 wheelsets the Nomad is capable of multiple disciplines, but it would be nice to have a few options in the stable. 8' front and rear would be great, but should I be looking at a different frame than the HL? The prices right now are soo sweet!

Anyways, thoughts and comments appreciated.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientwisdom
    Can a longer stroke shock be used on the 2008 HL to achieve 8"+ of rear travel? If so, what length of shock is required? How much will this upset/influence geometry...BB height, head angle etc.? I am contemplating a HL built up with a dual crown fork for resort/shuttle riding and keeping my 2008 Nomad strickly for trail riding. BTW, I am in the BAy Area and the bike would see time at N*, UCSC, etc.

I am asking because at 7" I am afraid there is too much x-over with my Nomad, which is capable of a lot of punishment. Right now with 2 forks and 2 wheelsets the Nomad is capable of multiple disciplines, but it would be nice to have a few options in the stable. 8' front and rear would be great, but should I be looking at a different frame than the HL? The prices right now are soo sweet!

Anyways, thoughts and comments appreciated.
    The Nomad has 6.5" and the HL has 7.2".

What you get with the HL is lower geometry and a MUCH stiffer frame along with being stronger.

Even if the HL had 6.5" of travel, it would still ride like a much larger bike than the Nomad.

I've ridden briefly on both, so I'm obviously qualified to make any claims I wish.

Knomer
    The original configuration of the Highline is with a 8.75" i2i x 2.75" stroke shock, yielding 8" of travel. I'd say most HL owners(including myself) ride in this configuration.

I'd suggest putting your Highline on a milk shake & pizza diet so there's no question which bike is the proper tool for any given ride.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    The original configuration of the Highline is with a 8.75" i2i x 2.75" stroke shock, yielding 8" of travel. I'd say most HL owners(including myself) ride in this configuration.

I'd suggest putting your Highline on a milk shake & pizza diet so there's no question which bike is the proper tool for any given ride.
    I'm still debating getting a Highline...but if I do, it's getting a Monster T.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Try it out of the box first

Give it a few runs with the 7.1" travel set-up and you will probably be surprised. It's not all about the number of inches of travel...the geometry, weight, stiffness, etc all work together to make it a killer bike. I briefly thought about getting the older 8" travel one, but opted for the 08 at a great price and haven't once thought about wanting the other inch or so of previous years. This bike is super smooth, tracks great, is excellent in the air and even pretty good for skinnies and tight technical singletrack. Enjoy!

ES