Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Build More = Ride More

Highline ordered. A couple of questions.

I just ordered an Iron Glim Large Highline

1. What would be a good headset for a 1 1/8 fork? I'm not looking to spend more than $100.
    2. What type of fork clearance will I have with a 66c3? Anyone have pics of fork clearance with the reducer headset and large highline. Guess I should have checked that BEFORE ordering, but ohh well.

3. Is the Roco WC the best shock for the Highline and then get it PUSHed?

Sorry for the questions, couldn't find much searching for some reason. Fail.

I will have to break into the neighbor's house to get a red leather couch shot. How's that for dedication, eh?
    Last edited by YoPawn; 07-11-2008 at 02:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My bud Chainwhip has had the Roco, DHX and now the Vivid on his...He feels the Vivid is the best that he has had on there to date FWIW. The few times I've been on it, it has felt pretty awesome.

Check the HL set up forums for additional ideas.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    My bud Chainwhip has had the Roco, DHX and now the Vivid on his...He feels the Vivid is the best that he has had on there to date FWIW. The few times I've been on it, it has felt pretty awesome.

Check the HL set up forums for additional ideas.
    Yeah, I was looking at the Vivid.

Not sure about reliability though. Heard PUSH was going to work on them, so maybe that woul be a safe bet.

Committed
    Shock preference is a personal thing, DHX, Roco,CC Double Barrel, Vivid, etc are all good choices.
    66 crown clearence with a zerostack is not an issue, a Totem will also clear the down tube.
    The Cane Creek zerostack headset is what I have been using for a few years, and it is decent. You will need to replace the bearing at least once a season, but it is easy and not too expensive.
    The Sunline zerostack looks good, but I have not used it myself.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    If you're thinking of getting a roco and having it PUSHed, consider just skipping straight to getting an avalanche chubie which will cost about the same in the end. No matter how much you customize a production shock, it's still not going to compare to something hand made like the avy.

With that said, I'm super happy with the stock roco WC on my highline.
    I don't feel the need to PUSH it.

When you get opions from others on the roco, make sure they are talking about the WC, not the TST. The WC has a completely different feel & feature set and is much better suited to the highline IMHO.

Headset, get a king and be done with it. Saving $50 ain't worth it if you have to replace in 6 months (as I did, with a FSA orbit extreme pro)

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    If you're thinking of getting a roco and having it PUSHed, consider just skipping straight to getting an avalanche chubie which will cost about the same in the end. No matter how much you customize a production shock, it's still not going to compare to something hand made like the avy.

With that said, I'm super happy with the stock roco WC on my highline.
    I don't feel the need to PUSH it.

When you get opions from others on the roco, make sure they are talking about the WC, not the TST. The WC has a completely different feel & feature set and is much better suited to the highline IMHO.

Headset, get a king and be done with it. Saving $50 ain't worth it if you have to replace in 6 months (as I did, with a FSA orbit extreme pro)

Good call on the headset. That was the one I was looking at (FSA).

Another great thing is that I'm not married. Thus I can fludge my budget a lot with no reprecusions.

Thinking the ROCO WC would be a good call. I have a TST r and love the Sh1t out of it. If the WC is even better then I'm sold.

I can't get an Avy PUSHed, so what's the point of buying it?

Thanks for the help guys!

Team Sanchez
    FM speaks true words. I put a Sunline 0 stack on mine with reducers, and within 9 months the bearings were shot! Get a King and be done with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Build More = Ride More
    Something that just came up.

What's with everyone going to the XL Highlines? Do they really run THAT small?

I'm a little worried after reading all the post about people being 6'2" and going XL.

I'm 6' 3.5" and ordered a Large. My current freeride bike has a 23.5' top tube and I don't find it small at all with a setback post and 50mm stem.

Is the Highline top tube somehow magically shorter than the 23.75 inches listed on the web site?

Am I worrying for nothing? Is this just XC guys going to FR and not feeling comfortable with a tighter cockpit (hehe I said cock ) ? I came from more of a BMX background.

~~~~~~~~
    that tall kiwi guy up in whistler was on a large and went to a medium.

you're worrying for nothing, xc guys going FR. The Highline is like a 7" travel BMX bike!

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    that tall kiwi guy up in whistler was on a large and went to a medium.

you're worrying for nothing, xc guys going FR. The Highline is like a 7" travel BMX bike!
    Thanks for the mental support bro.

I'm emotionally fragile right now waiting for my Highline.

~~~~~~~~

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Am I worrying for nothing? Is this just XC guys going to FR and not feeling comfortable with a tighter cockpit (hehe I said cock ) ? I came from more of a BMX background.
    Agree with Airwreck, stick with the large. It's a FR bike, keep it flickable. You can always run a longer stem or layback post if you want to do all-day trail rides on it. Even then, I think you'd be fine on the smaller bike.

PS, I tried going up a size last year (5'-9" on a large RFX), it worked well enough, but smaller bikes jump better and you do get used to them everywhere else, even climbing. Funny, I've given up on all the things I though helped my climbing & endurance (SPD's, longer stems/top tubes) and don't miss them at all. On a FR bike it's a no brainer.

TLL
    mtbr member

Xtreeem

No surprise there, as I consider the Xtreeem pro a XC HS. A Better choice would be the Pig Pro DH. Or a King, or whatever floats your boat. BTW, I can't tell the diff between the King and the Pig pro when on the bike. Maybe in 10 years.

My Xtreeeme pro has held up very well on my Ventana, but I would never consider putting one on my RFX.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    No surprise there, as I consider the Xtreeem pro a XC HS. A Better choice would be the Pig Pro DH. Or a King, or whatever floats your boat. BTW, I can't tell the diff between the King and the Pig pro when on the bike. Maybe in 10 years.

My Xtreeeme pro has held up very well on my Ventana, but I would never consider putting one on my RFX.
    Hmmm, I like the idea of going King.

My problem is that I have a 1 1/8 inch fork tube right now and will be getting it upgraded to 1.5 inch at the end of this season.

Does anyone know if a 1.5 -> 1 1/8 King headset can be converted to a 1.5 cheaply? Other wise I might jst go cheap for a couple months and get the King when I'm at 1.5 inches.

Amphibious Technologies

Huh!

Do you know what Push does with their Race Tune? Just wondering what your statement is based on
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 07-16-2008 at 07:10 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Feeding your addiction
    Hmmm, I like the idea of going King.

My problem is that I have a 1 1/8 inch fork tube right now and will be getting it upgraded to 1.5 inch at the end of this season.

Does anyone know if a 1.5 -> 1 1/8 King headset can be converted to a 1.5 cheaply? Other wise I might jst go cheap for a couple months and get the King when I'm at 1.5 inches.
    Yeah, all you need to convert is a new base plate and upper bearing cap, pretty inexpensive.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Do you know what Push does with their Race Tune? Just wondering what your statement is based on

It would be nice it they still did a Race Tune...Mine was good before it got stollen

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Lolz @ u

Yes I rode a Push'd vanilla RC with full race tune for a year on my '02 RFX. Very nice shock but my avy feels much better to me (not a fair comparison since the Avy's on my newer RFX with the lower ratio/ more progressive feel). No doubt the same treatment (if still available) would be stellar on a roco or DHX... I'd still rather have the avy personally though

cheers

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, they try to make it as good as my avy, but in the end they don't have the piston-diameter or the fluid volume Not to mention the high/low adjustments you get with the Avy.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yeah, they try to make it as good as my avy, but in the end they don't have the piston-diameter or the fluid volume Not to mention the high/low adjustments you get with the Avy.
    Whatever, the CCDB is still mo better

On a serious note, me thinks the Avy will work great on my 7" bike with 2.5 ratio.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Elitest thrill junkie
    Whatever, the CCDB is still mo better

On a serious note, me thinks the Avy will work great on my 7" bike with 2.5 ratio.
    In any case, I can't imagine it comming down to anything besides the Avy Chubby or CCDB. Yeah, there are a lot of shocks out there, some are pretty good, but if you want the best (poster seemed to indicate that) you should skip everything else and go to either the Avy or CCDB.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Something that just came up.

What's with everyone going to the XL Highlines? Do they really run THAT small?

I'm a little worried after reading all the post about people being 6'2" and going XL.

I'm 6' 3.5" and ordered a Large. My current freeride bike has a 23.5' top tube and I don't find it small at all with a setback post and 50mm stem.

Is the Highline top tube somehow magically shorter than the 23.75 inches listed on the web site?

Yeah, I'd also say you are worrying for nothing. The highline has fairly short stays for a big bike (with a non-interuppted ST), to keep it maneuverable, but look at the wheelbase figures. It gets REAL long, the front section is pretty long. Turner guys said that if you're goingdo longer rides that require more climbing, go with the bigger size, but for more freeride stuff go with the smaller, and I have to agree due to the geometry numbers. The wheelbases for the sizes are as follows; 45" 46" 47" 48.25" . By going with the 06 front end I gained a little more size than the stock medium (top tube and ST), but not as big as a large.

47" (your bike) is not a small wheelbase at all, it's pretty darn long, it's pretty much the same as a large DHR wheelbase (46.8).

Lay off the Levers
    +1 on the Avy.
    It's absolutely stellar on the HL and 6Pack.
    I've had a few other shocks and Avy pleased me the most. I will make no attempt to explain why, just state that it took top shelf for my prefrences.

Fock that... GET THE AVY!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yeah, I'd also say you are worrying for nothing. The highline has fairly short stays for a big bike (with a non-interuppted ST), to keep it maneuverable, but look at the wheelbase figures. It gets REAL long, the front section is pretty long. Turner guys said that if you're goingdo longer rides that require more climbing, go with the bigger size, but for more freeride stuff go with the smaller, and I have to agree due to the geometry numbers. The wheelbases for the sizes are as follows; 45" 46" 47" 48.25" . By going with the 06 front end I gained a little more size than the stock medium (top tube and ST), but not as big as a large.

47" (your bike) is not a small wheelbase at all, it's pretty darn long, it's pretty much the same as a large DHR wheelbase (46.8).
    Is that 47" just what the Turner web site says or has someone measured it?

One of my bikes has a 46" wheel base (large Giant Reign x1 with 180mm 66) which also has longer chain stays, longer top tube, and half a degree slacker head angle.

I wonder if the 47" isn't with a 888 on there? It's hard to figure how it would be longer than the RX1 given the numbers.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    +1 on the Avy.
    It's absolutely stellar on the HL and 6Pack.
    I've had a few other shocks and Avy pleased me the most. I will make no attempt to explain why, just state that it took top shelf for my prefrences.

Fock that... GET THE AVY!
    Man I can see how Homers get themselves into tons of blingin high end parts. THE PEER PRESSURE!

I think the Avy would look cool on a frame that looks so industrial.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast