banned
    Nov 2012

Highline main pivot Q

I've got some play in the main pivot. Rather than tear down my Hammerschmidt and try to tighten it (seems tight and flush), I was wondering if the shafts tend to lose their tolerances. I had the same problem with the RFX this year at the same interface. Ordered up a bushing kit and viola! good as new. Next question is whether it's the same dimension as the main pivot for the RFX, or is it specific to the model.

TIA

Committed
    The Highline main pivot is different from the RFX. The Highline uses needle bearings not bushings. Tighten the main pivot and if the play does not go away you may need new bearings.
    The Hammerschmidt is a great fit for the Highline imo.

banned
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    The Highline main pivot is different from the RFX. The Highline uses needle bearings not bushings. Tighten the main pivot and if the play does not go away you may need new bearings.
    The Hammerschmidt is a great fit for the Highline imo.
    Thanks, 1sr. I haven't had to tear it down since I've had it and just assumed because of the dust seals that it was a bushing. I'll tighten it down shortly. I saw that turner has the kits for $190 but there is no description. Maybe they will sell it seperately as everything else (that I can get to) is snug as a bug in a rug. If not, can I find those needle bearings aftermarket?

Ya, I like the Hammer, it's the Schmidt

banned
    Nov 2012
    Good NEWS!

It was just loose. Remove the bolt, locktite and all is well! Not sure how long it's been going on, but I imagine that was where the funny knocking sound was coming from on the Schmidt. I'm still gonna try and get my hands on some of those bearings though. Anyone know the size?

~~~~~~~~
    If it loosens again see if you can get one of these setups

wow, you got in 50 posts before bannederoeding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck View Post
    If it loosens again see if you can get one of these setups

wow, you got in 50 posts before bannederoeding!
    Airwreck, what is that kit and where do i get it?

Looks like those angled cone shaped washers would hold the journal in tight against the needle bearing and eliminate any possible play.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by NEstinkyrider View Post
    Airwreck, what is that kit and where do i get it?

Looks like those angled cone shaped washers would hold the journal in tight against the needle bearing and eliminate any possible play.
    That is a through bolt main pivot kit that fits the Highline and round tube DHRs.
    Available from Turner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEstinkyrider View Post
    It just replaces the 2 flat head bolts with a single through bolt and lock nut. Lock nuts generally hold better than Loctite, which is why the kit is a good idea for those with chronic pivot loosening issues.

I've been fortunate that my Highline pivots have stayed tight since day 1, and I've only had to service them once.

~~~~~~~~
    My Highline has always stayed tight as well, my DHR hasn't. The nice thing about the thru bolt is being able to tighten it without undoing the cranks and guide.