mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Highline frame sizing

Hi,

I'm looking to get a freeride bike for riding tight downhill trails and hitting some drops, jumps, etc. Heard good stuff about the Highline and may have an opportunity to get a good deal on an '08 Medium bike. I'm 5'11" and am a bit concerned that the Turner frames run a bit small compared to some other brands. They recommend a large for the 5'11" - 6'1" range and cut off the medium at 5'10". I'm not planning on riding uphill much so not worried about that, just don't want it to be too small for the downhill. Anyone have experience that can recommend one way or the other?

Thanks a lot.

-Gene

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I am just under 6' riding a medium 2006 Highline. While I don't regret getting a medium I would have liked to try a large since like you I'm in between sizes. I know the 06 frames were a 1/4 longer tt at 23" compared to the 07/08 which are 22" 3/4.
    My only complaints about the medium is feeling like I'm to far forward over the bars on some steeps, (I just lean way back) That along with while pedaling, the bike feels cramped. For the type of riding I'm doing, 90% lift served DH/FR the medium handles the tight trails of SR well. Either way the Highline is a great bike and can handle way more than I will ever throw at it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I too was concerned about this, as I'm 5'11". At this height, we should usually be on large frames. It does depend on the actual geometry, but large is usually the correct size for turners.

I wanted my highline to be maneuverable though for downhill, and if it was going to be just for trail riding, they recommended that I should get a large. Since I use it for everything, downhill included, I ended up getting a medium+. The 06 front triangle was larger (for the same size) than the later 08s, so turner "custom" built me an 06 front with an 08 rear, so it's actually about halfway in between medium and large. Perfect.

Without that option, I'd say probably go for the large, you'll have a rediculous amount of seatpost needed to trail-ride a medium.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I'm a notch over 5'10 and ride my highline for everything from AM to DH... It's a medium and I love it, it fits me just fine.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    The 06 front triangle was larger (for the same size) than the later 08s, so turner "custom" built me an 06 front with an 08 rear, so it's actually about halfway in between medium and large. Perfect.

Without that option, I'd say probably go for the large, you'll have a rediculous amount of seatpost needed to trail-ride a medium.
    Thats the same set up I have. An 06 front tri, with the updated rear stays. I was also told the same thing as Jayem, that if you plan on doing more FR/DH go with the smaller size for more maneuverability.

mtbr member
    Same here, I'm 5'11 or so with my shoes on, so I'm right in the damn middle too. Turner told me if it's a strict DH/FR rig, go medium. If I was going to pedal it AT ALL, they said go large.

So I bought an 08 large since I pedal it some, seems to fit me just fine. I've got longer arms than most though, so that helps with the better fit on the large.

Also, keep in mind the longer wheelbase on the bigger size will help be more stable at speed if you aren't airborne oriented.

My longer arms make it really hard for me to ride a smaller bike and feel comfortable, I've tried many times with very little success.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Yes, that's fonetic
    I'm a touch over 5'11" and am on a L '07 ('08?). Going from a L '08 RFX it felt just right. I think I'd feel way over the front end with anything smaller.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    I'm a touch over 5'11" and am on a L '07 ('08?). Going from a L '08 RFX it felt just right. I think I'd feel way over the front end with anything smaller.

Forgot to add I also went from a L 08 RFX as well. And my Highline actually feels quite a bit smaller than my RFX, even though both have the same length stems.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Committed
    5' 10.5" on a medium, couldn't be happier. I have the 08 compact front triangle, you may want to check out the slightly longer first version as stated above.

mtbr member
    5' 10.75" and on an 08' med with a 50mm stem. Strictly for FR/DH stuff and it fits perfectly. Just keep in mind, the parking lot test does not do this frame justice, you need to get it out in it's element for it to truly come alive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    After all this info does anyone have a lead on a large highline?
    Thanks Adam

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Sounds like some ppl do fine on a medium and others recommend the large. Oddly enough there are way more mediums out there. Haven't really seen larges for sale.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am on a medium but it is really close! I am 5'10"-5'11" and I really need a 410mm seatpost. I have been using the 330mm Thompson, but I run it at max height and I am still just short of full extension. But the bike feels good standing over it, I am running a direct mount stem, so if you do go medium, get the 410mm seatpost and a 50mm stem and I am sure you will be fine