13 21.67%
  • Something else

3 5.00%
  • Sell the highline and spend it on a 29er and chamois butter instead

4 6.67%
    AW_
    locked - time out

highline fork choices

I want a new fork for my Highline in 2009. Currently running 2006 888rc2, which is great for shuttling and resort riding. I want something where I can adjust the compression to eliminate some of the bounce while pedalling and if possible dial out some of the brake dive. Less weight is a bonus. I had a Domain 318IS 180mm for a little while and really liked the compression setting / overall feel / price of it but didn't have it long enough to really get to know it. I think the Totem has too much going on and I am a little bit worried about reliability. I like durable and easy to maintain. I ride DH, FR, and XC on this bike. I also have a hookup and won't be paying retail but still, price is a factor in everything for me.

Team Sanchez
    How much do you weigh AW? If you are sub 180, I'd go for the Totem. If over 180, then the 66RC3 is my vote. The Totem and larger riders don't play well together. The compression isn't sufficient for Big riders + big hits.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    I agree with El C. I expect the Push kit to help that a lot and put the Totem on top of the list. But is is an extra expense.

Lay off the Levers
    Choose? Gangstas don't hafta choose!

Too bad it'll be a while before I can actually ride either.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    I agree with El C. I expect the Push kit to help that a lot and put the Totem on top of the list. But is is an extra expense.
    I am right around 180#... pretty smooth and not a bike thrasher. I like doing routine maintenance as long as it's designed to be maintained. I fear being on a road trip and having my fork blow up, and needing to rent a crappy bike for the duration.

I don't like the totem because of:

a) 40mm stantions -- is it really necessary -- or does it add stiction and subsequently they use smaller seals that wear out faster? Supposedly the new boxxer went with 35mm for reasons related to this.

b) I'm not buying anything that retails for a grand and then needs $100+ push mod right off the bat... no way... cannot support a product like that.

c) Seemingly lots of problems with them (although SRAM is awesome for warrantee)

d) If I get a Totem it will be very hard to resist going with the Solo Air... and that will cause quite the moral dilemma for me since I have been talking trash about air suspension for so long.

e) The Domain seems like it would do the job for half the price, and it's a lot simpler.

I don't like the 08 66 because:

a) QR is really REALLY dumb

b) Heavy for a singlecrown, might as well get a dual crown.. actually the boxxer would be less weight!

c) Luckily those stickers come off with a heat gun, but seriously, could they get any more tacky than that? I think I'll get a barb wire tattoo to go with it. Sort of don't like to support any company who would hire that graphic designer.

d) wow, lots of complains about QC... this is my biggest issue right here.

e) Haven't looked closely at 09... any better?

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_

b) Heavy for a singlecrown, might as well get a dual crown.. actually the boxxer would be less weight!

c) Luckily those stickers come off with a heat gun, but seriously, could they get any more tacky than that? I think I'll get a barb wire tattoo to go with it. Sort of don't like to support any company who would hire that graphic designer.

a) QR actually works pretty well. Haven't had a single issue in my 1 year of 66 rc3 use.
    2) Heavy on paper, but actually rides incredibly light. Pops up like a champ. My 150lb buddy has no issues with it either. Boxxer is about same weight, but doesn't feel as solid IMO. Actually not even close to the same feeling. My 66rc3 tracks the gnar better than my 06 Boxxer Ride, which is stiffer than the other boxxers due to having less travel.
    c) Ugly, agreed.
    4) Internet makes things seem worse than they are. Many issues with the ATA forks, but by gauging the MASSIVE number of 08 66 and 888 forks I saw at Whistler last summer, not many issues at all. It was hard to find a bike NOT using an rc3 fork and being thrashed by a happy owner.

not so super...
    someone had to vote for the 29'r

Elitest thrill junkie

That's really how it should be though. A DC fork is a more efficient structure. To build a SC with the same strength takes a lot more material.

Supposedly only with certain ones, I got an 08 888RC3 that has the special "mark" on the crown that it's after the sloppy stuff, and so far it's tight.

My vote?

Totem, '10 Boxxer, 66 RC3 or 888RC3. The RC3 damping is a lot better than previous (RC2) and even with the compression adjuster at zero, it's still a lot more low-speed compression than they've ever had, and it doesn't ride harsh with it either. Increasing the compression does a good job of dialing that stuff in/out without runing the ride.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Knomer
    I am right around 180#... pretty smooth and not a bike thrasher. I like doing routine maintenance as long as it's designed to be maintained. I fear being on a road trip and having my fork blow up, and needing to rent a crappy bike for the duration.

a) 40mm stantions -- is it really necessary -- or does it add stiction and subsequently they use smaller seals that wear out faster? Supposedly the new boxxer went with 35mm for reasons related to this.

b) I'm not buying anything that retails for a grand and then needs $100+ push mod right off the bat... no way... cannot support a product like that.

c) Seemingly lots of problems with them (although SRAM is awesome for warrantee)

d) If I get a Totem it will be very hard to resist going with the Solo Air... and that will cause quite the moral dilemma for me since I have been talking trash about air suspension for so long.

e) The Domain seems like it would do the job for half the price, and it's a lot simpler.

There's about 4 forks are appropriate to hang off the front of a Highline, and you've just dissed 2 of them into submission. You're basically asking for "the perfect" fork but don't want to pay for it. But price doesn't matter cuz you've got the totally sweet pro deal hookup.

The perfect fork doesn't exist, and I downright challenge you to buy something other than a 66 or Totem.

"XC" on a Boxxer? Hahahahaha, go for it!
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    I would go with either the Boxxer team, which fits the bike pretty well, or, if you want to spend extra cash, & want the coolest new fork, wait for the new 2010 Boxxer

My old Highline with the team, & yes, I actually climbed some steep, long trails with this set-up!
    Attached Images Attached Images

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    There's about 4 forks are appropriate to hang off the front of a Highline, and you've just dissed 2 of them into submission. You're basically asking for "the perfect" fork but don't want to pay for it. But price doesn't matter cuz you've got the totally sweet pro deal hookup.

The perfect fork doesn't exist, and I downright challenge you to buy something other than a 66 or Totem.

"XC" on a Boxxer? Hahahahaha, go for it!
    Don't be jealous.... I can't help it if I am way more All Mountain™ than you.

~~~~~~~~
    it's hard to go back to the totem after using the boxxer team, the quality of the suspension is so much better, it's light, and they can be had cheap. But if you are used to a marz then you should probably satisfy the curiosity and try an 09 66.

mtbr member
    Where's the Avy option?
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

Hisforever
    exactly. try the dhf 8. or the 7" version DC.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    May 2008
    run what ya brung. Got a highline and had a Van 160mm off my Bullit. Haven't ridden it outside the driveway, but looks and feels good. 13 1/8" bottom bracket height. Have no idea of H/A

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

I read a Sram/RS release that explained the 35mm stanchions for the new boxxer. They concluded that for a DH race fork, 40mm stanchions are a bit too large for dual crown forks, and causes too much front wheel deflection... the old 32mm stanchions, and new 35mm stanchions allow a bit more flex and forgiveness in comparison to a fox 40, providing better front wheel traction & tracking.

Conversely, for a single-crown application, they stated that 40mm is "optimum" for the balance of weight, stregth, stiffness, for freeride use.

That of course was a statement issued long after the release of the Totem. With that said, my DH/FR rig is a Blindside (gasp), but i've been really happy with the Totem Solo Air that has so lovingly saved many bad landings and rider errors.

I'd vote for the new boxxer however. I've yet to ride any totem that rivals the feel of a well tuned 32mm boxxer.

Best of luck!

mtbr member
    I like the Totem - when it works - (got both) but...

(1) Have already had to replace the Coil; barely one season in. SRAM warranty good, paying shipping however not.
    (2) Lockout on Air no longer works; only a handful of rides on it. May be sending this one in too.

P.S. I use the Air for "off" season, and Coil for DH [bike park] season.

AW_
    locked - time out
    I ended up trying a Domain 180mm on the bike and it just felt too XC... so I went back to the 888. I'd still like to try the new Boxxer...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO i so didn't want to read this thread but go tin too deep before i could stop.
    i had decided on the totem, i have a 2006/7 sherman on the front which is pants except when you're going fast through rocks. then it really is great as i don't feel anything but it doesn't want to turn, it creaks, it won't pop up for the life of me and it feels flexy.
    idealy i'd like the solo air but cost may dictate i buy the coil. i'm 220lb's on a good day stark b*ll*ck naked. i used to love marzzochi's feel and reliability but their reliability issues of late have put me off as has the weight (yes i could lose some but it's easier to buy something light!!!).
    so now i don't know anymore, i can't have boxxers as my riding has a lot of really tight singletrack the main reason is i can't get some dual crown forks into the cellar where i keep my bikes!
    cheers guys.........