Thread: highline

rider

highline

anybody got pics of the new highline thats comin out like even geometry or inches o travel
    thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride To The Hills
    anybody got pics of the new highline thats comin out like even geometry or inches o travel
    thanks
    From the '04 Turner catalog:
    Attached Images Attached Images

rider

Sweeetttt

that is definetely my next frame
    that is so much sicker than i expected
    thanks for the pics

rider

one more thing...

Quote Originally Posted by KLars
    do you no when this frame is gonna come out?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks
    The earliest it will come out is late this summer. However, I am really expecting around Jan. '05.

KL

what a joke
    Looking at the pics of the protoype it looks like it can run a front derailer. Is this true? Anybody have any info?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    thanks
    Couple weeks ago while ordering some stickers from Turner I had a chance to talk to Casey about the Highline and he said that they hope to have production up and running and ready to take orders by Interbike 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Looking at the pics of the protoype it looks like it can run a front derailer. Is this true? Anybody have any info?
    oz,
    Ya, it'll have the ability to run 3 x 9. The conversation regarding the Highline started when I asked Casey if he realized how much attention the RFX continues to get on this forum. He thought the Highline would more than fill the void seeing as how it should have a "similar frame weight" with the additional 1" of travel and the 1.5" steer tube. If I were in the market for a RFX I think I'd hold out for the Highline.

mtbr member
    Splendid frame! If i didn`t have my xxx i would definately be in the market for one Highline.

what a joke
    Thanks Crash, I think I could wait that long (maybe ), I only hope they make a XL and not just the three sizes shown on that info above. I think I recall reading something on the Nitrous thread from Turner saying something about June or July preview of the Highline, I hope so.
    blah blah blah

No, that's not phonetic
    Just note that the final product may look quite different. That is a non-functional mock-up and I think there are clearance issues if the suspension were to cycle its full 7.5". Stay tuned and open minded...

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Just note that the final product may look quite different. That is a non-functional mock-up and I think there are clearance issues if the suspension were to cycle its full 7.5". Stay tuned and open minded...

tscheezy
    I hear that, what I want in a frame is pretty simple, actual 24 TT, adjustable 6-7.5 " travel, horst link, uninterupted seat tube. 3x9 ready,1.5 HT is ok to. I dont care if its got square tubes or round tubes. Basically a heavy duty long travel trail bike. The lucky 7 would have been nice. But the RFX was the best at 5x5, 6x6 or 7x6.
    blah blah blah

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by KLars
    I'm liking it so far, thanks for the specs KLars.

Lower BB than 6x6 rfx appeals to me.

That seat tube will be nice for expanding the cockpit when the seat is high and vice versa.

another thing that I don't need but want anyway....

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Lower BB than 6x6 rfx appeals to me.

That seat tube will be nice for expanding the cockpit when the seat is high and vice versa.
    I hate the *low* BB. With more travel (more sag) and a lower static bottom bracket I think you'll be eating those words of praise. My '02 DHR had 7.6" rear and a 175mm travel fork and 2.8" tires to give a 14.25" bottom bracket. With regular 175mm cranks I hit my pedals on EVERYTHING! Not even rough ground, sometimes just pedalling while mildly cornering. It truly truly sucked to ride like that, to always be conscious of where your pedals are. Turner recommended running 165mm cranks only on the DHR. I can't see running 165's on a Highline made to go anywhere. Crank length isn't as big an issue on a DH bike, but IMO is everwhere else.

As for the seat tube, I LOVE the steeper-than-everyone-else seat angle of my RFX. I like sitting over the BB to pedal/climb. I can get a better spin that way, maybe it's just me. Usually I have so much seatpost exposed (6-9") that shallower seat angles put me behind the BB enough that I can feel it. A steep seat angle also helps combat looping out with a big fork up front. Unless you run a BreakoutPlus or Z.150 (something that can be dropped down with the flick of a switch), or unless the specs change and the Marzocchi 66 also comes with ETA you won't be playing around on your local XC trails with a Highline and big fork, unless your XC is a lot flatter than mine.

In the end I think the *downsides* I mentioned won't be much of an issue. Most guys will buy the Highline as a shorter travel, affordable, Horst, Turner DH/FR bike. I don't see a lot of guys putting a front derailleur on and chasing guys in spandex. I guess it's nice the bike *can* do that though. For me I'd keep my RFX/Z.1 for XC/DJ/DS and rock a Highline/170mm 66 for Midwest DH/FR and urban abuse. That is, of course, once my money tree matures and starts blooming!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!