mtbr member

HID Carbon Death Ray Bling

Firstly sorry this is a little OT, Turner content is: The light gets used on a Turner. Also they are carbon and bling, which always rates highly. Also sorry for the poor quality photos, my skills are hopeless when it comes to this sort of thing.

Anyway, I thought I'd show you an excellent light setup I’m using on the Burner- Vicious Power HID. If you want the brightest, whitest, lightest light then this is the one (as far as I know). I have no affiliation with Vicious and paid full retail, the only thing Vicious did for me was very kindly lend me a second backup HID system for a recent race, so this a no BS review based on my admittedly subjective experiences.

The cool mod I have on my light is its been "hotted up" to 15W, the normal versions are 12W, and to me seem at least as bright as any other HIDs I’ve seen. But in 15W mode its like the Martian death ray in War of The Worlds. I don’t know of any systems which pump out as much power except maybe Lupine.

It caused me some problems during a recent 24 hour race in that people got off the track well before I was anywhere near them, and I had to speed up (something I’m not good at at 3 a.m) to try and not leave them waiting by the side of the track. The light itself is very white compared to some of the other HIDs I have seen, and the beam is a nice mix of flood/spot with enough width to see what’s needed and enough spot for high speed fire road descents.

The best feature for me is the lack of weight- the carbon clad battery is ~200g giving me just under 2 hours on high. The headlight itself you don’t realize is on your head, as the ballast is in a separate housing, I think they say 80g or something for the lamp. The ballast/power controller is pretty cool with blue/red LEDs for various modes, and once again weighs practically nothing.

The connectors are three pin with a tongue/groove (not sure what the electro-technical name is). This is a blessing and a curse- very solid connectors which will not come loose, but hard to line up with cold/tired fingers at night if you are trying to do a quick light change. I’m sure if you had plenty of time it wouldn’t be a drama, but for solo racing it was a small issue for me. Overall I wouldn’t change it though, as its nice to have the security of a solid connection.

The charging is pretty straightforward, I ran two batteries concurrently and they were always fully charged by the time I got back from a lap.

I was sold on these lights when I ran my overvolted 15W vista light next to them, and they looked like a candle next to the HID setup. It was too hard to go back, so I didnt.

Aesthetic wise they look highly trick, with the Carbon and blue Ano a nice match for my Burner. If you want to check out more here is the website.

http://www.viciouspower.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Do you have any beam shots?

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by MWWH
    Firstly sorry this is a little OT, Turner content is: The light gets used on a Turner. Also they are carbon and bling, which always rates highly. Also sorry for the poor quality photos, my skills are hopeless when it comes to this sort of thing.

Anyway, I thought I'd show you an excellent light setup I’m using on the Burner- Vicious Power HID. If you want the brightest, whitest, lightest light then this is the one (as far as I know). I have no affiliation with Vicious and paid full retail, the only thing Vicious did for me was very kindly lend me a second backup HID system for a recent race, so this a no BS review based on my admittedly subjective experiences.

The cool mod I have on my light is its been "hotted up" to 15W, the normal versions are 12W, and to me seem at least as bright as any other HIDs I’ve seen. But in 15W mode its like the Martian death ray in War of The Worlds. I don’t know of any systems which pump out as much power except maybe Lupine.

It caused me some problems during a recent 24 hour race in that people got off the track well before I was anywhere near them, and I had to speed up (something I’m not good at at 3 a.m) to try and not leave them waiting by the side of the track. The light itself is very white compared to some of the other HIDs I have seen, and the beam is a nice mix of flood/spot with enough width to see what’s needed and enough spot for high speed fire road descents.

The best feature for me is the lack of weight- the carbon clad battery is ~200g giving me just under 2 hours on high. The headlight itself you don’t realize is on your head, as the ballast is in a separate housing, I think they say 80g or something for the lamp. The ballast/power controller is pretty cool with blue/red LEDs for various modes, and once again weighs practically nothing.

The connectors are three pin with a tongue/groove (not sure what the electro-technical name is). This is a blessing and a curse- very solid connectors which will not come loose, but hard to line up with cold/tired fingers at night if you are trying to do a quick light change. I’m sure if you had plenty of time it wouldn’t be a drama, but for solo racing it was a small issue for me. Overall I wouldn’t change it though, as its nice to have the security of a solid connection.

The charging is pretty straightforward, I ran two batteries concurrently and they were always fully charged by the time I got back from a lap.

I was sold on these lights when I ran my overvolted 15W vista light next to them, and they looked like a candle next to the HID setup. It was too hard to go back, so I didnt.

Aesthetic wise they look highly trick, with the Carbon and blue Ano a nice match for my Burner. If you want to check out more here is the website.

http://www.viciouspower.com/

mtbr member
    No, I thought someone would ask that. Im riding tomorrow night so I'll try and get something organised.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Good stuff.

I'm yet to see a non-magazine review of these lights. Can't wait for beam shots.

I can see why you went for the Vicious, being nice and light weight, high output and an Aussie company, but I'm just wondering if you considered any other HID lights, and why you chose the Vicious over them??

What do you think of the build quality?? I've only seen early prototypes so far, and they looked a bit agricultural (as protos do). What do you think of the full finished product??

The main reason I ask was going to be because of the huge price tag on these puppies, but I just checked the site and they've gone down close to $200 since I've been there last...

Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Hi Dave,

Im affraid the beam shots will have to wait- raining now and forecast for the next 4 days.

In terms of buying decision, it was pretty easy realy. I needed a setup with two batteries and if you check their website it is more expensive now with two carbon batteries. It would be cheaper if you went with the rubber casing- which is probably what I might have done if it was available when I got them- the rubber might offer more protection.

There really wasnt much out there which would have been price competitive with two batteries. The CygoLite was going pretty cheap but it used heavier NiMH and a slower charger which would not have kept the batteries topped up through the night. If you want entry level HID it might have been good value but I needed a setup specificaly for solo 24 hour racing, and the Vicious setup is the best out there for that application. By comparrison there was a "special" on nightrider flight HIDs for $950 at the Mont, and that was with only one battery. I would say the clincher if you are considering is the 15W option, in this mode the light will blow anything out of the water.

Also being an Aussie dealing local has been helpful, I have spoken on the phone with the owner and he would always answer an email withing a few hours. It would be good to see them have success on the world market because they have obviously done alot of homework on getting their liught dialed.

Build quality I cannot fault. "Agricultural" might also describe generaly solid construction- e.g the connectors and controller casing. The power controller might not have been designed in Milan but the headlight lunit itslef ooks like something out of Formula1.

As soon as its dry Ill do the beam shots

Cheers

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the comments.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Beam shots done, Ive posted on endurance racing at the thread below.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...27#post1295727

Turner Homer
    Thats a nice flood pattern that puts out. It is a little wider than my nite rider storm hid. Nice light.

Dave