Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,948

    Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to ride I go............

    Sorry CC, but 56 degrees? Dry trails in Feb.? You can't not, not ride, right?? Especially since this trail was under several inches of snow one week ago, as XCG pointed out.

    And Rene, before you give me grief about riding after 6am and being overdressed, I will have you know that there was a stiff breeze that brought the wind chill factor down to at least 50 degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

  2. #2
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,475
    "the wind chill factor down to at least 50 degrees"
    My god man, you could have perished in those conditions!
    Don't worry about Cactuscorn, he's rippin' up the frozen cornfields on his DHR.
    ****

  3. #3
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,713
    Stupid forecast had snow in it for yesterday afternoon, so I didn't bother riding into work. It was then a blue sky and hit 50 degrees. Today has been snowing all day

  4. #4
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    Ahhhhh, Long's Peak looms large indeed!

  5. #5
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    This global warming stuff sucks! It's 9 degrees with the windchill down here now. Tomorrows night ride will be a very cold (and short) one.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,127
    What trail is that? I rode something outside Lyons, CO in Aug 07 that these pics really remind me of.

  7. #7
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,475
    It's supposed to hit 65 degrees today. Did you guys hear that?
    [SIZE="7"]65 DEGREES!!!![/SIZE]
    Eat your hearts out.
    [SIZE="1"]not that I'm out riding or anything....[/SIZE]
    That trail is found at hall ranch, just west of Lyons.
    ****

  8. #8
    Making fat cool since '71
    Reputation: ImaKlyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,839
    51 degrees at the start last night. 26 miles later: 34. Too nice, almost ran out of HID love the weather was so nice we just kept going...

    Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

    Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    It's supposed to hit 65 degrees today. Did you guys hear that?
    [SIZE="7"]65 DEGREES!!!![/SIZE]
    Eat your hearts out.
    [SIZE="1"]not that I'm out riding or anything....[/SIZE]
    That trail is found at hall ranch, just west of Lyons.
    Yep - that's it - was a really nice ride - pretty technical on the climb up to the top, and a blast coming down. (Although I was on a hardtail back then.) some of those rockgarden sections could get you in trouble.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
    Yep - that's it - was a really nice ride - pretty technical on the climb up to the top, and a blast coming down. (Although I was on a hardtail back then.) some of those rockgarden sections could get you in trouble.
    S-Works makes it look easy but one of my worst crashes was on Hall, coming down the lower part of the Rock Garden. Going left at speed, front wheel hit something and went full right, instant OTB (that was a month before I broke my wrist falling off a ladder). I basically went through the bike, left both shoes in the pedals, did a millisecond handstand and vaulted into the cactus. Another one of those wrecks where you lay there and wonder "what part did I break this time". Rock rash from hel!, blood everywhere, cactus spines to deal with but I lived. It took a dam ladder to finish my riding season.

    I still ride Hall but pretty much walk many sections of the Rock Garden.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,127
    Yeah - I walked a few of them too, buddy of mine was living in Longmont at the time, and we had just gotten back from 4 days in Fruita. Climbing up to the top I was cussing him under (and over) my breath for telling me "there's not much climbing".

  12. #12
    Dude...
    Reputation: ebry74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    251
    Did you run into any snow at all? I am planning to ride Saturday, and would rather not have to run down to Pueblo or the Springs if it isn't necessary. I'm in Golden, and I would assume even with the nice weather that most of our trails still have snow...not that you can't just go through it.

  13. #13
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,546
    Man that looks nice! I'll be on the Front Range over the weekend of the 14th with my bike, so my riding needs may finally be satisfied!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,209
    Wow, that looks dry! Doesn't bode well for the summer if it stays that way, but I'd certainly take it while I could. Nice job. It always feels like a pardon when you get a day like that it February.

    We've had three or four days in the 50s and bluebird skies too..... but there's still 6-8 inches of frozen, crusty snow on all the trails. Fortunately, at 6:00 am it's only 15-20 degrees so where it's been packed down by quads and snowmobiles it's pretty rideable.

    The problem with the quads is they never go where you want them to go in the winter and they always go where you don't want them in the summer. Could someone train those yahoos!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Wow, that looks dry! Doesn't bode well for the summer if it stays that way, but I'd certainly take it while I could. Nice job. It always feels like a pardon when you get a day like that it February.

    We've had three or four days in the 50s and bluebird skies too..... but there's still 6-8 inches of frozen, crusty snow on all the trails. Fortunately, at 6:00 am it's only 15-20 degrees so where it's been packed down by quads and snowmobiles it's pretty rideable.

    The problem with the quads is they never go where you want them to go in the winter and they always go where you don't want them in the summer. Could someone train those yahoos!
    It seems the weather patterns here on the Front Range (as opposed to other locations in the US of A) favor the possibility of melting/drying out of the trails. We get the downslope warming drying winds out of nowhere (Chinook winds they're called which, incredibly, most Indian tribes in the area called them...it means "snow eater" winds...incredible in that these were tribes that all spoke different languages but Chinook was universal)

    Dry now doesn't mean dry tomorrow or in the summer. You just never know.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •