mtbr member

Hey Tscheezy......

You seem to be the resident expert about disassembling things so I figure you could answer my question.

I just bought a Fox vanilla R to put on my 2004 Burner. I was wondering if I can use the same bushings and bolts from the Fox Float that came with the bike? If so, how should I go about removing the bushings from the float and installing them on the Vanilla?

If anybody else has attempted to do this, please chime in.

Thanks in advance,
    Buckeye

No, that's not phonetic
    All you need to do is remove the two bolts holding the shock on the bike (5mm allen bolt with a 10mm nut), and then slide the shock out of the frame and rocker. Each end of the shock will have two aluminum spacers which are lightly pressed into the shock's eyelets (the part the bolt went through). Just try to twist/pull on these to get them out. They should just pop right out. If they are in tight, use a pair of pliers covered in cloth (so you don't gouge the aluminum).

Once you have them out, just push them into the naked eyelets of the other shock. Fox fits Fox so they should go right in, and then you can bolt the shock back on the bike.

Did you get a Propedal or not? What was the current Float? It will be interesting to know what you think...

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

Thanks....

tscheezy, that sounds like a simple enough process. I bought the Burner at Supergo so it came with a 2003 Float RL, and I'm replacing it with a 2003 Vanilla RC. Nothing fancy. I figure I've been doing just fine without the propedal (or SPV) technology. I'd like to wait until I hear a few more things on the shocks equipped with the new technology. Perhaps I'll see somebody with one of these shocks on the trail and they'll let me take their bike for a spin.

Have you tried the vanilla propedal shock? To be honest, I'm not really sure what it does different. I'm sure you could enlighten me though. Maybe I could sell the Float and invest in the Vanilla RC propedal (like the one in your picture).

Anyway, thanks for the info. Please tell me a little about the propedal shocks when you get a chance.

Thanks,
    Buckeye

mtbr member

I would have.....

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Too bad you're out in Ohio. You could've tried out mine.

I love the Propedal. It makes setting up that much easier and I think the Propedal, coupled with the great design of the suspension is very efficient. I just did a 20+ mile ride and I dont' feel as fatigued as I did on my old Tomac at 10. 10 was my limit and now I'm back up into the high 20's after being off the bike for many months and only riding for a few weeks.

Also, consider the Push modification for the Float.

Tscheezy, i also had a question about those Vanilla RC's. How do you get the spring off? It appears the reservoir gets in the way up top and I don't know if the lower perch is removable and split.
    loved to try out yours. For some reason I'm thinking you from the New Jersy region, is this correct? You have a Burner, right? Thanks for the info, I think I made a mistake buying the Vanilla RC without doing a little more reseach on the Propedal technology.

I've heard people mention this Push modification. What is it all about?

Sorry about all the stupid questions. I've been without a bike since around September and I didn't really read up on all the new Technology. I rode an XCE all last summer and I sold it because my fiance and I bought a house. I put the extra money from the bike toward the down payment,,,blah blah blah...we all know where that goes. Actually, I bought a spring from tscheezy about a year ago for my old XCE. I had a differend screen name on this board. Perhaps tscheezy will remember.....Edub. Ring a bell?

Anyway, thanks for all the help. This site is the first place I turn anytime I have a question.

Buckeye

mtbr member

Sounds....

I'm in NY, around NYC and I have a Burner with the Float Propedal R. If you come on out sometime when I have some time, we could do some miles and compare each other's rides.

Maybe you didn't make a mistake on the Vanilla. It's just preference. You could perhaps do more heavy duty stuff on the Vanilla, as well as having more tuning options. From what I hear, Darren at Push makes the Vanilla shocks killer with his mods. In any event, I think the Float is plenty durable. I like the Propedal because i don't have that razor thin line between bottoming out and not achieving full travel because of the air chamber pressure. You really don't need to set the air pressure to reduce bobbing anymore. I actually set the shock a bit low and I don't get the associated bobbing. I set the air chamber with enough air to not bottom on the jumps.

Darren's mods include custom made pistons that has separate high and low speed oil circuits. The high speed circuits allow much more oil though, while the low end circuits somewhat simulate a stable platform without going that far. People are really happy so far. He also recharges the nitrogen chamber a bit higher than factory spec and rebuilds the whole thing with custom seals while he's at it.

I'm pretty happy with the Propedal so far, so I'll pass on the Push mods, but if i ever bought a non propedal RC, I'd go for it.
    good bro. I'm taking a week off from work on the first week in July. Maybe we can set something up, maybe get a few other interested people to come. I would love to spend the 4th of July in NYC. Give me a holler if you ever plan on coming to Ohio. I'd be glad to show you around.

Does this Derren have a website where I can read a little more about what he does? Any idea on price? I am very interested. I just realized that I said I bought a vanilla RC. I actually bought a Vanilla R. Does he still do his thing with Vanilla R's? Or does he only do work on Float's?

My bike isn't quite built up yet. Actually, the rest of the stuff will arrive tomorrow. So hopefully I'll be able to get out this weekend. In case you're interested here's whats on it.

Frame: 2004 Burner (Black w/charcoal decals)
    Fork:2004 Fox Vanilla 125 R
    Headset: King (silver)
    Stem: Thompson
    Bar: Easton EA-90 sl riser
    Rear Der:XT
    Front Der: XT
    Crankset: XT Hollowtech
    Shifters: XT dual control
    Cassette: XT
    Brakes Avid Mechanical
    Wheels: Mavic Crossmax XL UST Disc
    Tires: Continental Explorer Pro (I'm running tubes for now)
    Pedals: Egg Beaters

It's looking pretty sweet, I'll try to get some pictures up sometime.

By the way, I have to give huge props to Bill Larson (wlarson@stdairy.com). He ownes Cycle Path in Portland Oregon. He is an awesome guy to work with. He hooked me up with everything.

Buckeye

No, that's not phonetic
    How do you get the spring off? It appears the reservoir gets in the way up top and I don't know if the lower perch is removable and split.
    Exactly, the lower spring support ring has a slot in it. You back the preload collar way off so that you can lift the spring up a bit, then you raise the spring support ring off a little pedestal and slide it off via the split.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye_nut
    I bought a spring from tscheezy about a year ago for my old XCE. I had a differend screen name on this board. Perhaps tscheezy will remember.....Edub. Ring a bell?
    Yeah I do. That's funny. I sold 2 or 3 springs last winter that I didn't need. When I was riding up Amasa Back on our Moab trip this weekend I ran into Biker40X. He recognized me by my bike which I had posted pics of here, and I had sent him one of the other springs. We really are an inbred bunch...

And no, I have not tried any of the ProPedal shocks. I'd like to, but I think I will just get my Vanilla RC off the XCE "Pushed" this fall. If the Swinger Air works out on the Spot, I may get one for the XCE also, but I would rather stick with the 1.75" stroke for leverage reasons and I don't like the long looks of the XR rockers.