banned

Hey Speedthrills

Hey man,

So I see we're both digging the Flux.

So I got a question to ask publically:

What's it like making the transition from hardtail retrogrouchland into full suspension? What gave you the idea to even look in this territory?

How about the other hardtail purists that went into FS?

over researcher
    Well, I made the change because I wanted to go faster over the rough SoCal terrain. I made the right decision. Not only can I go down faster, but I can climb more technical terrain without spinning out also.

The transition was a piece of cake. The bike handles fantastic, and riding it feels like second nature. I should point out that between August 1999 to January 2006, I probably only rode my hardtail less than 15 times. So, my skills were a bit rusty. I'm still re-developing my skills, and of course I will be getting better regardless of what bike I'm riding. So it isn't completely fair to say it's just the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Hey man,

So I see we're both digging the Flux.

So I got a question to ask publically:

What's it like making the transition from hardtail retrogrouchland into full suspension? What gave you the idea to even look in this territory?

How about the other hardtail purists that went into FS?
    Geez, put me on the 'Spot', why dont'cha??!!??

So WHY did I decide to bite the bullet? Pretty simple actually. I was running about 5th in Sport at a race at Blue Mountain, and when the time came to turn my bike downhill on the fire road, all the squish-squishes flew past me like I was standing still. I still finished 14th, in the top part of the field. And yeah, yeah, lotsa racers still run HTs. But for the first time, the benefits to FS were shown to me as clear as day. That pretty much sealed it, and next day, I began shopping.

Regarding the transition, Im still getting used to it. Mostly getting used to two things. The extra weight of a FS frame (and too many beers this Winter) and the lack of snap when I stand up and want to mash the pedals up the climb like Roberto Heras, something I like to do a lot, whether on the road or on dirt. I will say this....the damn bike is NEVER out of control. Whereas it wasnt hard to put the HT into the red zone, I have yet to come close to this area on the Flux. But its early yet. Give me a few months and a few chances to really stretch her legs when the air aint below freezing, the ground aint muddy, and Ive shed the weight of all this Winter gear (and beers).