Thread: Here's mine!

singletrack lush

Here's mine!

Yup, I joined the club. Actually I got the frame in December and have been piecing it together for a couple of months, so I've only had three real rides on it so far. Most of the parts came from my tracer, which I was planning to sell to justify this purchase. But after going over the reviews and posts on this site, and then actually riding both bikes I came to the conclusion that they're two different animals for different types of riding, theyre both awsame bikes, just different. so I decided to keep'em both .
    About the spot- amazing, it rides like a pimp cadillac through the most gnarly NE trails, all I'm missing is a big feather in my helmet. I love the feeling of being able to plow through everything on my way wether Im going up or down. Although that wasn't my impression after the first ride on the spot. Coming from a tracer, which I rode with suspension set up a little stiffer than usual, it felt quicker and more nimble, and one of the things I enjoy about riding is coming accross a really difficult tech section and clearing it, so with the tracer It was a challange and it didnt happen too often, but when I did clear an area, it came with a real sense of accomplishment.... Enter the 5-spot. All these tech sections I just rambled about, they dont seem to exist when riding this bike. Pick a line? screw that, just plow straight through! this is the feeling I got. So at first, I was kinda disappointed that what was once a challenging section, became just a bump in the trail. I got over this real quick on my second ride when I cleaned a section that I avoided like a plague when on the tracer and its been growing on me ever since.
    I was also concerned about the weight, but now I relize how ignorant one can be by just reading about a bike and not really riding it, My plan was to keep it close in weight to the tracer as possible, but I think this puppy is pushin 33lbs. and Im not looking back.
    Here some pics of my 5-Spot from a ride I did over the weekend...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lay off the Levers
    Cheers and congrats!

Man it's amazing how similar the NE trails all look. Vistas and all. Where were those shots? Ringwood?

I totally agree on the growth factor of the 5 Spot. It just keeps getting better with each ride. This weekend I was about an hour past exhaustion and still blew through a trail that I would only try fresh. I'm beginning to discover that I really have to put more faith in the bike and just roll the isht. Also I've found having a big nasty fork up front is a major a$$ saver. That bike is going to quicky talk you into taking harder and harder lines.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

singletrack lush
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Cheers and congrats!

Man it's amazing how similar the NE trails all look. Vistas and all. Where were those shots? Ringwood?

I totally agree on the growth factor of the 5 Spot. It just keeps getting better with each ride. This weekend I was about an hour past exhaustion and still blew through a trail that I would only try fresh. I'm beginning to discover that I really have to put more faith in the bike and just roll the isht. Also I've found having a big nasty fork up front is a major a$$ saver. That bike is going to quicky talk you into taking harder and harder lines.

This was at Mahalon Dickerson, NJ. about a half hour south of Ringwood. My second time there, and it wont be my last, FUN trail.
    I hear you about the beefy fork saving your a$$. That and the fact that Im hovering around 225lbs, so I like the comfort of knowing that theres something between me and the front wheel when riding this bike.

mtbr member
    Hey Marzz,

How do you like the Sherman Firefly? Any regrets not getting the 20mm thru-axle? My Z1 SL has got atleast one more full season before I move to something new, and I've been eyeing that fork. Anyway, if you have the $'s slap a Geax Sturdy on rear with the Weirwolf up front. Tscheezy introduced me to this combo while in Moab and I'm having a challenge finding anything I like better.

Crash

singletrack lush
    This is only the second fork I have any worth while time on and my first coil, so I can't really compare, but for what ever its worth, I like it alot. granted the SPV feature isn't what I expected (not the reason I got this fork) but it does the job. Its smooth as butter and plenty stiff, I havn't tried the 20mm thrugh-axel version so I dont know if I'm missing anything, Im plenty happy with the standard quick release, no sign of flex what so ever. I find the travel adjustment really useful on extended climbs, my only gripe is the adjustmnt switch is really hard to turn when going from 90mm-130mm, I can do it while riding, but it kinda sucks to be fighting with it after coming out of a climb while gasping for air -screws up my rhythm.
    I just got these weirwolves so Ill leave them on for the summer, but Ill take you up on the Geax suggestion soon as I need to change the rear..thanks

Lay off the Levers

Big man, big fork...big smiles

Quote Originally Posted by marzz
    This was at Mahalon Dickerson, NJ. about a half hour south of Ringwood. My second time there, and it wont be my last, FUN trail.
    I hear you about the beefy fork saving your a$$. That and the fact that Im hovering around 225lbs, so I like the comfort of knowing that theres something between me and the front wheel when riding this bike.
    I'm ~225 myself, depending on how many donughts I eat during the week. The other week I rode w/ some co workers after I rolled some particularly short & steep steps and chutes their reaction was "uh, HOW much travel is that bike? Truth is the bike does elevate my confidence. After doing that a few times I was willing to do it on my HT where I never would have tried otherwise.

I'm unfamilliar with Mahalon...but like I said the NE trails have a lot in common...fun being the primary factor.

Crash-D: If you could, please tell me more about that tire setup. I'm satisfied with my Vert-pro USTs but if there is something better, and less prone to sidewall rips I'm all ears. Is your setup UST?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Crash-D: If you could, please tell me more about that tire setup. I'm satisfied with my Vert-pro USTs but if there is something better, and less prone to sidewall rips I'm all ears. Is your setup UST?
    Zilla,

Long story short, or short story long... My 5 Spot came with the Vert's and I liked them but just not for the trail conditions I tend to ride here in the desert, I'm saving them for this summer and the higher altitude rides we do up and around the ski resorts with the tighter, hard pack soil. Next came Nokian NBX's which were a step in the right direction but pale in comparison to the Weirwolf/Sturdy combo that Tscheezy hooked me up with just in time for Porcupine Rim @ Moab. I've ridden Porcupine frequently enough to know that I'd found a great tire combo. Most of the stuff I ride is Moab-like terrain, loose gravel/rock, sandy, mixed with broken sections of slickrock. I find that the Weirwolf provides enough bite and grip to inspire confidence, while the Sturdy provide awesome traction with a very predictable point that they break loose in corners. When I ride trails that are a majority slickrock, hard pack, or general not that loose, I run a Sturdy front and rear. Both tires have plenty of width (noticably wider than the Vert's or the NBX's) height (the Sturdy is mutantly tall) and volume to prevent most of the abuse the trails dish out from reaching the rim (I do have one ever so small dent on the rear rim). I've wanted to order a set of Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegals for some time now, but I'm so happy with the current combo that I keep hedging and spending my money else where. Oh, I'm not running UST. Hope that helps.

Crash

P.S. Is that your red Spot? If that's the case you can use magenta all you want . Why did I think you rode a black frame?
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 04-12-2004 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member

What weight spring do you guys use at 225?

My frame came with a 650. I think it is a bit much for 225. I'll have it built in a couple weeks. Thanks Rich

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Zilla,

Long story short, or short story long... My 5 Spot came with the Vert's and I liked them but just not for the trail conditions I tend to ride here in the desert, I'm saving them for this summer and the higher altitude rides we do up and around the ski resorts with the tighter, hard pack soil. Next came Nokian NBX's which were a step in the right direction but pale in comparison to the Weirwolf/Sturdy combo that Tscheezy hooked me up with just in time for Porcupine Rim @ Moab. I've ridden Porcupine frequently enough to know that I'd found a great tire combo. Most of the stuff I ride is Moab-like terrain, loose gravel/rock, sandy, mixed with broken sections of slickrock. I find that the Weirwolf provides enough bite and grip to inspire confidence, while the Sturdy provide awesome traction with a very predictable point that they break loose in corners. When I ride trails that are a majority slickrock, hard pack, or general not that loose, I run a Sturdy front and rear. Both tires have plenty of width (noticably wider than the Vert's or the NBX's) height (the Sturdy is mutantly tall) and volume to prevent most of the abuse the trails dish out from reaching the rim (I do have one ever so small dent on the rear rim). I've wanted to order a set of Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegals for some time now, but I'm so happy with the current combo that I keep hedging and spending my money else where. Oh, I'm not running UST. Hope that helps.

Crash

P.S. Is that your red Spot? If that's the case you can use magenta all you want . Why did I think you rode a black frame?

I just installed a 2.5 Weirwolf on my Spot last week. So far it's been great. I haven't tried it on hardpack. I do ride fire roads, but as little as possible and usually in the up direction. I don't want to waste a great downhill by taking a fire road.

I also ordered a set of Sturdy's from Larry@mtnhigcyclery and can't wait to try them. This is mostly based on Tscheesy's and your comments on these boards.

I'll post a report once I've had a chance to ride the different combos on enough different terrain.

singletrack lush
    Quote Originally Posted by jedoaks
    My frame came with a 650. I think it is a bit much for 225. I'll have it built in a couple weeks. Thanks Rich
    I tried a 500 and it was too soft, so I got a 650 based on recomendation from both Turner and Romic, and it's been great. I think Bikezilla has a 600 on his spot so you could probably go either way depending if you're in to softer or stiffer feeling suspension.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Congrats!!! The bike looks great and so do those trails. Have a blast on the new ride.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by jedoaks
    The 650 will likely be too stiff, but don't dump it yet. Ride it for a week or two, check your sag and how much travel you get, and then maybe get a 600. I like having a few springs around to tune my ride depending on what sorts of conditions I am likely to find myself in.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by marzz
    I tried a 500 and it was too soft, so I got a 650 based on recomendation from both Turner and Romic, and it's been great. I think Bikezilla has a 600 on his spot so you could probably go either way depending if you're in to softer or stiffer feeling suspension.
    True dat.

I ride a 600 and I'm 225lbs. But I also lack flow, skills and tend to be an iron arse. I imagine I bottom but I can't say when, so perhaps it's only during the very big hits. I don't feel bottom when riding chutes, or blasting through rock gardens. Maybe I don't know what to look for.

The only time I felt something was when I landed a transition, rear first. I felt the sus give with the landing until a point where it just resisted going any further. It wasn't a slam, it just stiffened like squeezing a superball. Not a plesant feeling when landing. I see why getting both wheels down is reeeaaaallly important.

FWIW the frame came with a 550 and liked the plusher feeling but it required too much preload so it was just wrong. I don't think I would like a stiffer ride than what my 600 already provides.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Zilla,

Long story short, or short story long... My 5 Spot came with the Vert's and I liked them but just not for the trail conditions I tend to ride here in the desert...P.S. Is that your red Spot? If that's the case you can use magenta all you want . Why did I think you rode a black frame?
    Thanks!

I ride NE soil,rock, leaf & loam so based on your comments, I think for the moment the VPs are the way to go for now.

Yeppers that's my "gay" red 5 Spot. Boy, I'd love to ride with the guy who coined that adjective.

mtbr member
    I ride NE soil,rock, leaf & loam so based on your comments, I think for the moment the VPs are the way to go for now.
    If they work Id wear em out. I was pleasantly surprised by the Verts particularly the fact that the sidewalls held up to the abuse I dished out for a month. Regardless, the other reason for taking them off my Spot, aside from the traction issues, was that I wanted a larger volume tire nearer to a true 2.4.

mtbr member

I wonder why they speced a 650 on my frame?

True dat.

I ride a 600 and I'm 225lbs. But I also lack flow, skills and tend to be an iron arse. I imagine I bottom but I can't say when, so perhaps it's only during the very big hits. I don't feel bottom when riding chutes, or blasting through rock gardens. Maybe I don't know what to look for.

The only time I felt something was when I landed a transition, rear first. I felt the sus give with the landing until a point where it just resisted going any further. It wasn't a slam, it just stiffened like squeezing a superball. Not a plesant feeling when landing. I see why getting both wheels down is reeeaaaallly important.

FWIW the frame came with a 550 and liked the plusher feeling but it required too much preload so it was just wrong. I don't think I would like a stiffer ride than what my 600 already provides.
    I'll have to ride it and see. thanks all