mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Here's looking at you, kid

As seen on Baby Steps near Moab.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

NOT Team Sanchez
    hmmmmn, cool coloring.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Interesting. We say one of those 4 days ago on Lion's Loop in Fruita. All my trips to Moab and Fruita, that was the first time!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

In all my years of going to Utah

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Interesting. We say one of those 4 days ago on Lion's Loop in Fruita. All my trips to Moab and Fruita, that was the first time!
    this little guy was my second of two total. Funny how they're not scared of anyone. We must have eyeballed each other for ten minutes.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    cool and all but will they do this? layla - blind 3' to flat at speed. pure trust and skill.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Captain Underpants
    OK, got you all beat.

Today, grinding up a local trail--all climb, I'm sweating and baking in 80 degree temps. Totally OOS (out of Shape). I take a line on an uphill corner to avoid a nasty rock, get real close to the bank, and suddenly hear a rattle-rattle-rattle in my right ear.

Almost sh*t my chamois. Kept going.
    Didn't bother to stop and look back, but I knew I had just avoided a rattler.

Second time on that trail.

No big really; the militant hikers round here are waaay worse. Cant wait to ride in Idaho this year and get away from all the nuttiness the SF Bay has to offer.

mtbr member

I saw one of those fellas in Fruita last weekend

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Great isolating focus on that guy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    I bet he gave you ample time to get that cool profile shot.

Speaking of rattlers: I was hiking along the rim of Hellroaring Canyon one fine evening when I almost stepped on this fat snake. I think I set a world's record for the side leap. When I landed about 9 feet away (literally) I expected him to slither away but he was fine where he was. Once my heart got back in my chest and he uncoiled a bit I took this picture. I also did the math about how long I would have had to get to help if I'd been bitten. When I drove into Moab the next day I memorized the directions to the hospital, about a 45 minute drive from where I was. I guess it depends on the type of snake/type of venom but how long does it take before you're basically incapacitated (I'm not even including the hours of anti-venom treatment once you DO get to help).
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Lay off the Levers
    Great shots ppl. The lizard coloring is very cool.

XCG, dude please be careful... that's scary as hell thinking that thing was coiled to strike and you were 45 min from help.

We've got plenty of wildlife around here, lots of snakes but I haven't seen anything dangerous yet.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Nice Timber Rattler, I think I was in Putnam not Westchester though Zilla.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Wow CC you were lucky to see one of those in the wild

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    cool and all but will they do this? layla - blind 3' to flat at speed. pure trust and skill.
    I believe that was a Canis Lupus Turnerus.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I know the Arizona peeps see rattlers all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Great shots ppl. The lizard coloring is very cool.

XCG, dude please be careful... that's scary as hell thinking that thing was coiled to strike and you were 45 min from help.

We've got plenty of wildlife around here, lots of snakes but I haven't seen anything dangerous yet.
    and I see rattlers in Colorado all the time. I'm not afraid of snakes and I do my part and get a long stick to get rattlers off popular trails. But surprising one is not the way to stay healthy. I was just strolling along, got close to a bush where he was. My left foot landed maybe six inches from his head just as he let off a really loud rattlin'. Utah is a really quiet place in some spots and that rattlin' was deafening. So was my heart beating for a long time after that.

Ever since then strolling along that canyon rim had been different. I spend more time checking out where my feet are going to land than on the scenery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

That's how I like encountering them

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Nice Timber Rattler, I think I was in Putnam not Westchester though Zilla.

The first time you see them they're headed in the other direction.

Lone Wolf McQuade

I think he gets around....

......here he is on Chutes and Ladders
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I should be out riding....

shes in the wild every fockin day. never settles down.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I spend more time checking out where my feet are going to land than on the scenery.
    after literally almost steppin on a mojave rattler, the most poisonous and aggressive snake in n america, it chased me a few yards before i could get some distance between the 2 of us. this wasnt all bad as a group of 6 were followin my lead and hot on my heels. we were on the mexico/az boarder about 2 hours from a hospital so that was not good. my sister and her late husband had land down there and all i could do was build trails in my mind. from then on, i carry a walkin stick and make damn sure i knock it on the ground as i motivate my feet down the trail.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Dishwasher Safe
    Those are some cool colors on those little guys.

I haven't seen a rattler in a quite awhile, though I did catch a glimpse of a mountain lion cub last week...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I too enjoy photographing the lizards... and this is also from Chutes and Ladders. Weird.

Fruita_Day2_15

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    These are collared lizards (Crotaphytus sp.). They get 8-14" long and are really cool little guys. I did an internship at a zoo that had a colony of them in a pretty big enclosure, like 12'x6', and these guys would set up their own territories in there, have battles, and generally be very entertaining. They were very used to the keepers, expected to be fed, and if you messed with them too long they would give a quick nip. Lots of personality.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

They are cool little critters

Quote Originally Posted by ORVH
    These are collared lizards (Crotaphytus sp.). They get 8-14" long and are really cool little guys. I did an internship at a zoo that had a colony of them in a pretty big enclosure, like 12'x6', and these guys would set up their own territories in there, have battles, and generally be very entertaining. They were very used to the keepers, expected to be fed, and if you messed with them too long they would give a quick nip. Lots of personality.
    It's such an honor to come across one out in the desert. Don't know how rare they really are but, for me--two in 15 years? I've seen a thousand of the little lizards that scurry all over Utah, doing their pushups then disappearing. The collared lizards will notice you, step up on a rock and stare you in the eye. I guess they've always been the big dogs in their territory and don't take sh!t from anyone.

Notice how none of our pics show their entire length? They all got their fat bodies then a tail that goes on forever. Must be nice to be "master of your domain".