mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Help needed - XCL vs. RFX comparison

Hello folks

Can anyone compare the CHUMBA XCL to an 2008 Turner RFX?

Both frames assume to hold an RP23 rear shox and an 2008 TALAS 36 160mm fork.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rmargoli
    Hello folks

Can anyone compare the CHUMBA XCL to an 2008 Turner RFX?

Both frames assume to hold an RP23 rear shox and an 2008 TALAS 36 160mm fork.
    The most basic comparison would say:
    Chumba XCL: 5" travel - advertised as XC on their site.
    Turner RFX: 6.4" travel - advertised as uber-xc/AM on their site

banned
    Outside of the ride quality, I think the comparison is grouping two rides in two different classes together.

In my view, the XCL more closely fits into 5.5 Spot territory, with somewhat different missions.

Things to check:

-Tire clearance. I will not state how much the Chumba has because I don't know. Turner is up to 2.7 ish.

- Leverage

-Build

-Geometry

Also, right now Turner is having a big sale, with 20% off. This puts the Spot in the same zone, and also the RFX.

You picked the right time to consider a Turner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

This is most obviuos But

XCL is not a regular XC bike. it can take longer forks and is most stable on descents. I am still interested in a more depth comparison

thanks

banned
    XCL is not a regular XC bike. it can take longer forks and is most stable on descents. I am still interested in a more depth comparison

thanks
    How is it possible that an XC bike is most stable on descents? No bike can do it all.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    It's not a comparison....more like a contrast of bikes. If I were to pick a bike that is similar to the XCL, it would be the Heckler....."aggressive trailbikes. Besides what Character Zero said, the XCL and Heckler can run 160 forks but they're designed for 140 forks. The RFX is designed for 160 forks and the same isn't true where you could run a 140 fork on it.....I mean, I guess you could but that would be a waste.

fried stuff with cheese
    One of the guys I ride with has an XCL and loves it. I would say although the travel is closer to a Spot the burliness of the frame is closer to an RFX. His is a pre-production straight gauge frame so it maybe a big burlier than the production frames that are out now. I only threw a leg over it once for a very quick parking lot test so I can't compare really. All I can say is that both he and I both climb and descend better than we did before on our other bikes. (I have an 08 RFX, and came off an 05 Spot)

My only beef with Chumba was them being a little less than fully honest with my buddy when he first got his frame. That being said, he loves the bike and you couldn't pry it away from him for anything.
    Egg

TLL
    mtbr member
    The Chumba XCL was the bike I was going to buy before I bought an '08 RFX.

Both bikes are designed in CA, though Alan has the XCL built in Taiwan now, I think. Which is a good thing, as their welds and QC are much better now.

Customer service from both companies is excellent, Ted answered all of my questions and then some. Turner offers excellent service as well.

Their top tube sizing is a little different from Turner's, might be an issue if you need a larger size, but in most cases is fixed by a longer/shorter stem.

The XCL is a 5" trailbike, the RFX 6.4". If you run a 160mm fork on the XCL it will slacken the HTA down to around 68 degrees, with a corresponding slackening of the ST to about 72 deg and rise of the BB. This will on paper give the XCL similar numbers to the RFX, but what it does to it in terms of real world handling is anyones guess. a 72 deg STA is pretty slack, if you ask me.

If you are serious about the 160mm fork, make sure you talk to Ted first, as I'm guessing the longer fork might void the warranty. Short answer: The RFX is designed for a 160mm fork, the XCL is not. I personally would not run the XCL with a 160mm.

If you do a lot of technical riding, the RFX would be the bike. Hucking/jumping? RFX, though from the vids I've seen the XCL handles jumps with ease. More XC, and the XCL (or Spot) would be the choice.

Hope this helps. Really, you cannot go wrong with either bike.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    The XCL is a 5" trailbike, the RFX 6.4". If you run a 160mm fork on the XCL it will slacken the HTA down to around 68 degrees, with a corresponding slackening of the ST to about 72 deg and rise of the BB. This will on paper give the XCL similar numbers to the RFX, but what it does to it in terms of real world handling is anyones guess. a 72 deg STA is pretty slack, if you ask me.

If you are serious about the 160mm fork, make sure you talk to Ted first, as I'm guessing the longer fork might void the warranty. Short answer: The RFX is designed for a 160mm fork, the XCL is not. I personally would not run the XCL with a 160mm.
    I ran my XCL with a 36 Talas and it handled great. I really liked it. It does not void the warranty (confirmed with Alan). FWIW, Ted (Chumba owner) has a 36 Talas on his XCL.

You need to decide what is more important to you. The Chumba is a 5" trailbike that can handle some abuse. It is also pretty damned stiff for a 5" bike. The RFX is a heavy duty trailbike that pedals well. Not much difference in weight, but, IMO, the XCL will handle climbing/up and down trails better...RFX will be better for aggressive moves and decending. This is much like the Spot/RFX comparison...
    Extreme stationary biker.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I ran my XCL with a 36 Talas and it handled great. I really liked it. It does not void the warranty (confirmed with Alan). FWIW, Ted (Chumba owner) has a 36 Talas on his XCL.
    Good to know.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

thank you all

Those where some of my thoughts.

Elitest thrill junkie

thanks
    Well, the thing is that the RFX isn't a regular "AM" bike, it can take some pretty big drops and abuse, and it goes between "freeride" and "heavy AM" between the years of production. The better comparission is RFX vs Evo. Those are much more equally compared.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

PSI
    I want that one
    Those where some of my thoughts.
    from what i understand (w/o riding one) is that the xcl is more like a beefy spot which sounds excellent since i ride my spot with a 160 fork which feels great. another point to consider (if you care) is that the xcl has a horst link.