mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here. Help needed ! Bottom bracket for 6 pack

Hiya !

i'm about to build my six pack ...
    So you'll have pics soon ...
    but for the moment i' need some help !

i will install old xtr crank on it

i will have 40or38 on the big ring + 26 on the little one + a mrp bashguard + a chain tensionner
    like that:

or

and sometimes i'll have iscg mrp slalom 2 chainguide on the 6-pack...
    should i buy a 112.5mm bottom bracket ? or a 116mm ?

What would be the best chainline ?

thanks helping me !

bye

benni from france

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    If you're using that exact crank, I'm 98% sure that they don't make a bashguard for that crank. The crank bolt measurements are weird on the XTR 4 bolt. If you have a 5 bolt XTR, then you could get a bashguard.

mtbr member

Those cranks are/were ODD

I'd agree. The older XTR were a bit of an odd fit for everything from bash guards to bottom brackets, making chainlines a nightmare. My advice, since there are always people looking for XTR stuff on Ebay, sell it, and snag a 3 piece crank set from RF or Shimano.

If these cranks are a necessity, I'd say go with the 112.5 bb, and ditch the third ring, if you can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    I'd agree. The older XTR were a bit of an odd fit for everything from bash guards to bottom brackets, making chainlines a nightmare. My advice, since there are always people looking for XTR stuff on Ebay, sell it, and snag a 3 piece crank set from RF or Shimano.

If these cranks are a necessity, I'd say go with the 112.5 bb, and ditch the third ring, if you can.

thanks answering me so quickly

1st: i love thoses crank ... the spider is a custom middleburn . that allow to install 104mm ring !
    so no problemo with bashguard !
    i can't ditch the third ring ( the inner one ? ) because i want to keep a 26+38 + bashguard .
    so 112.5 ? or 116 would be better !?