mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Help me spec my 5 Spot!

Hiya

When my insurance company pays up I will be buying a Large Blue 5 Spot. I am 6'2" with a 33/34" inseam. I weigh just udner 14 and a half stone, but with kit I guess I'll weight a little over. Weird, because I'm not really fat... I have a really good LBS who will help me with any problems but I want to test the water here...

1: Will the stock spring on the 5 Spot work for me? I have heard rumours that with coil springs you need to make sure they arn't too 'pre-loaded' (if that word exists).

2: Will the stock springs in a Vanilla R be strong enough for me?

3: In-line post or layback?

4: What lengh stem do you similar sized guys run? I will try out the testbike and make a guess, but it would be good to know what lenghs you run.

Cool, happy trails
    Ben

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blippo_uk
    1: Will the stock spring on the 5 Spot work for me? I have heard rumours that with coil springs you need to make sure they arn't too 'pre-loaded' (if that word exists).
    I'm 210 lbs and run a 600 x 2.25 spring. The 550 was boarder line so I stepped up to the 600. If my memory service me right, Romic recommends that you don't put more than two full turns of preload on the spring.

I'd start with an in-line or get a loaner setback post.

4: What lengh stem do you similar sized guys run? I will try out the testbike and make a guess, but it would be good to know what lenghs you run.
    I'm 6'-2" w/32" inseam and run a 130mm. I'd guess you'd be a 110mm or 120mm. Start with a cheap stem and then once you've got it dialed in get your pimp stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool, so you are 15 stone... I hope to lose weight so maybe i'll hold my money. I can get a reasonable ti spring from mojo for pimp stautus. Although I wonder if weight savings will be worth it...

Do you find 600lbs oversprung?

Maybe I should run layback, then I can run a shorter stem...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I'll give you my newbie Spot ideas....

Hiya

When my insurance company pays up I will be buying a Large Blue 5 Spot. I am 6'2" with a 33/34" inseam. I weigh just udner 14 and a half stone, but with kit I guess I'll weight a little over. Weird, because I'm not really fat... I have a really good LBS who will help me with any problems but I want to test the water here...

2: Will the stock springs in a Vanilla R be strong enough for me?

Cool, happy trails
    Ben
    You are running a Vanilla on your Spot? Most have Romics.

At your size, depending on arm length, I would say will need at least a 120mm stem. I am 5'11" and I run a 110mm. It is perfect. I run a Thomson post. I just don't like layback posts. I never feel centered with them. Well, I never feel centered. Laugh.

A nice ride. For sure!

Jaybo

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I think he means a vanilla R 125 up front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    You are running a Vanilla on your Spot? Most have Romics.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Do you find 600lbs oversprung?
    .....no....

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    I'm 210 lbs and run a 600 x 2.25 spring. The 550 was boarder line so I stepped up to the 600. If my memory service me right, Romic recommends that you don't put more than two full turns of preload on the spring.
    Mind if I chime in?

Romic recommends no more than three turns. FWIW I run a 600x2.25 as well. I'm ~225 and use two turns past the initial contact point for 20% sag.

I'd start with an in-line or get a loaner setback post.
    I'm with you on that... skip the setback post unless you have a specific need. There's a thread below that talks to it quite nicely.

I'm 6'-2" w/32" inseam and run a 130mm. I'd guess you'd be a 110mm or 120mm. Start with a cheap stem and then once you've got it dialed in get your pimp stem.
    Agreed test with the cheapies. I was lucky, my shop let me test various Thompsons.
    FWIW I'm 6'2" w/ a 37" sleeve length and a 38" true inseam (34" pants inseam) I found for me, a 120mm works great on my large 'Spot. The 130mm was too long for me. I'm curious, what size frame are you running? Do you have a long torso?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I'm curious, what size frame are you running? Do you have a long torso?
    Ya, I've got a fairly radical leg to torso ratio for my height. So the large that I'm on is perfect for my stand over, but I could probably use the top tube length of an XL. Thus a 130mm stem on a large frame. The longer stem is also a result of coming off of a HT where I like to be stretched out more. I keep trying a 120mm but it doesn't feel right, and even with the 130mm I'm nearly a full inch shorter on my overall top tube length than I was on my HT. If I can find a loaner setback post I'd like to try it with a 110-120mm just to see how it feels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah sorrry, I meant the Vanilla R upfront.

I tend to prefer a slightly shorter cockpit so we'll see about the stem... I am going down to the shop today to test their Spot.

The post thing confuses me. The American bike mags all use in-line posts, yet all the reviews in the UK mags (where the 5 spot has decimated all) run laybacks. The demo bikes in the shop also all run Raceface XYs...

If you guys all run in-lines then perhaps I will consider it...

I can barely afford the 5 Spot (I am stretching my budget to the max here) so I cant afford to buy lots of cheap stems. Luckily the LBS will sort me out and look after me if I make a terrible mistake.

Lay off the Levers
    The post thing confuses me. The American bike mags all use in-line posts, yet all the reviews in the UK mags (where the 5 spot has decimated all) run laybacks. The demo bikes in the shop also all run Raceface XYs...

If you guys all run in-lines then perhaps I will consider it...
    They may have found it works well for the UK trail types.

I read MBUK and MBR just about every month. I know almost nothing about the UK riding but the mags gave me the distinct impression your riding needs can be significantly different. mud for example is a common and regular ride thing for you. Here on the East Coast, most generally don't ride if the trails are muddy b/c just two or three passes can permanently damage a trail, and then the land owners start kicking out the riders...yatta....

But just maybe the majority of your climbs and runs just work well with setback posts. I know here keeping the weight more centered tends to work better. Especially on very very steep sketchy stuff.

It may be worth trying both types if you have the time and access.

Lay off the Levers
    Ya, I've got a fairly radical leg to torso ratio for my height. So the large that I'm on is perfect for my stand over, but I could probably use the top tube length of an XL. Thus a 130mm stem on a large frame. The longer stem is also a result of coming off of a HT where I like to be stretched out more. I keep trying a 120mm but it doesn't feel right, and even with the 130mm I'm nearly a full inch shorter on my overall top tube length than I was on my HT. If I can find a loaner setback post I'd like to try it with a 110-120mm just to see how it feels.
    I've been down that same road. I'm coming off my HT which has a 135+ 5-deg stem and had flat bars. I really like the streched out feeling for faster, flater riding. Then I got the 'Spot and while the TT was about the same, I liked the 120mm x 5 stem and some spacers. I tried a 15-deg with the same spacers but it was too upright for me. I suppose if I took the spacers out it would be the same as the 5-deg w/o spacers...but what would be the point then? Anyway being more upright has helped on the more technical trails.

Let me know how your setback experiment goes. I'd like to know what the post does for the ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm, MBUK is an OK mag if you rinto street/trials/jumping/DH which the UK is full of - infact I think I can quite rightly say we lead the world in these fields - especially dirt jumping. But thats another point...

I rode a 5 Spot today and I am going with layback. The test bike had an XY and i didnt feel over the back wheel, I felt perfectly centred -if not a little forward biased. It had a 90mm stem though, and TBH I think I'm going to go with a 2" bar and a 110 stem.

Mud is pretty common-place but the Turner is perfect for mud (shielded shock position, good clearance, imprenated bushings...) and where I ride the climbs are super, super steep... At least the Turner is a 27.2 so if I ever need to change I can put the old one on another bike.

Any opinions on the Vanilla R forks being too soft 4 me?

... I guess you won't be
    I have a large turner 5 spot w/ a straight post. I am also running a 15 deg/100 mm stem w/ a 1.5 inch riser bar. I am almost 6 ft.tall and w/ short 30" inseam legs. The bike fits me perfectly - I am not stretched out at all. You, on the other hand, w/ your extra 2" may need that layback post to keep you centered. Thats the tough thing about bike fitting. Some like to be up front [ I do ] and some like to be over the back. Where do you like to be?