mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Help me remove some grips!!

I've always used the air compressor method to put on and remove grips, however a "friend" has borrowed my compressor and I need to install some new discs. What is the best method for removing my existing grips without gouging my carbon bars? Before anyone makes a snide remark about using the search function....I keep getting "error on the page" message everytime I try to search. Next question will be how to properly set up my new Maguras

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Squit some WD 40 ........

under the grip while working it loose with a screwdriver. Be sure to clean the oil from both grip and bar before reinstalling.

bill

Is dang happy!

Air is best

I use a spoke or thin flathead to slide under the grip and drip some h2o, (or wd40 if it is really stuck), then twist like a mad man, say %*&$%(**$, and poof it is off.

mtbr member

Alcohol

I just use the screwdriver technique with alcohol.

Insert screwdriver, drink a shot, drink another, pour some into grip, twist, repeat!

mtbr member
    Now is the time to upgrade:
    take a razer and cut down the center (don't cut deep enough into the grip that you score the handle bar, just deep enough to create a tear zone). Now grab a pair of pliers and peel back the grip, and it will tear off where you created the slice - now install the lock-ons and now you can remove whenever!!

Team BikeWood

Dust Off

Quote Originally Posted by Otter
    I've always used the air compressor method to put on and remove grips, however a "friend" has borrowed my compressor and I need to install some new discs. What is the best method for removing my existing grips without gouging my carbon bars? Before anyone makes a snide remark about using the search function....I keep getting "error on the page" message everytime I try to search. Next question will be how to properly set up my new Maguras
    Get a can of Dust Off -- stuff you use to clean your computer keyboard -- insert the nozzle under the edge of the grip, spray and pull off the grip with the other hand. Works just like your air compressor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    I just use the screwdriver technique with alcohol.

Insert screwdriver, drink a shot, drink another, pour some into grip, twist, repeat!

Thanks guys...got it off with the screwdriver and alcohol method (took me three shots though Already got the Martas on and all seems to be good. Thanks again!

she keep you buying rats

... and if we just ... Just windex...

Windex... preferably old-school blue - but the Mountain Berry®, Multi Task Vinegar®, Multi Task Glistening Citris Orange® or Lavanda Multi-Surface Cleaner® will do in a pinch

;-)