Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Help me help my Wife

Her birthday, Valentines Day and our anniversary are just a few days apart.
    In 16 years of marriage, I've never been able to narrow down the jewelry or clothing thing , but I do know a thing or two about bikes, so she'll be riding a new 5-Spot this spring
    It will be a light build as she is only 110 lbs., but damn she has gotten more aggressive over last season ... and she never breaks anything.

The sticky part remaining is color. I've shown her Turner's color pallet and all sorts of pics from this forum. Unfortunately, there is much variation between pictures of the same color and she does not want a surprise.

Any suggestions on going about this process and getting her both the color she wants and expects?

The timing is right, between Larry's availability, Turner's small frame production, and my Visa Card's billing cycle.

Thanks ... Craig
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

oso
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sangria with Silver bits
    Muz-R's Sultan Setup Thread

... I guess you won't be
    No Pink - only women can select that color. If you do, she won't like it as much as if she had picked it herself - weird, yes - but that's how it works.

Decide which fork you're plopping on it, and then select the frame color that compliments the fork color......she's not going to want a brown bike with a white fork......best to avoid the "that fork looks funny on it" question.....color coordination is key. Petty - 100%, but you won't have to hear the kvetching....

most people don't really care about that, but chicks do [for the most part]
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    Petty - 100%, but you won't have to hear the kvetching....
    Kvetching was my first wife, she didn't ride bikes, but she is from Flushing NY

I have no more chance of picking the correct color for her than I do picking clothing. She needs to pick it out, via online visuals I suppose, and it better not surprise her when it arrives.
    Craig, Durango CO

trail fairy
    Cbrossman

I'm gonna give ya abit of the ta sexpert homie manual advice here, for chicks its not about the instant gratification! here ya go baby here's ya nice spanking built flashy bling dwl 5spot.

Yeah that will be nice and appreciated, but it won't feel like its her's as much, this is like foreplay but for bikes, trust me Ive learnt this the HARD WAY!

This is what ya need to do to make her feel really special and of course her 5spot!

If Larry is close!

haha not that close

Find a nice restaurant, wine and dine her just for her not the kids if ya have any? take her out treat her nice, ya don't have to go all out just make it nice, so she knows you have thought about her!

Get her some nice flowers, at the restaurant, make her feel desired! afterward s go for a nice walk, take it slow, don't rush things, go with the flow, don't talk about you, ask her stuff, don't talk about bikes, or Larry

If ya don't live too close maybe ya could get some nice stay over accommodation!
    make a good night of it, if that hasn't got her stoked yet then, I'm sure some chocolate decadence should finish her off!

Net morning, a nice breaky somewhere, before ya wisk her off to Larry's ya let the too of em work out al the details like colors, specc, let them talk turkey, you take a back seat , I know how hard that will be, dude Im typing this struggling myself, but trust me Larry will guide her and you will be a hero not the bad guy later!

And she will have the best birthday and best dwl Spot eva, you will have had plenty of action jackson and probably still come in under budget plus be a very relaxed man with a HUGE smile on yer face!

Oh my checks in the mail

Simple! chicks love simple, don't make it complicated.. guys do that cause we stupid!!!lol..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Cbrossman
    Simple! chicks love simple, don't make it complicated.. guys do that cause we stupid!!!lol..
    Nailed it.

I think I've already complicated it, but perhaps not beyond hope.
    Larry, in all his infinite bike wisdom, was not able decipher the wife issues any better than I.

Oh, and Durango is long, long way from Loveland, and I guess I'm glad about that (with no malice to Larry at all).
    Craig, Durango CO

MK_
    carpe maρana
    It was between Raw and Granny Smith Green for my wife. I found a raw 08 5 Spot on ebay, put pink CK stuff on it, it looks very good. My wife loves her Maverick DUC, she calls it her supersonic fork that plows through everything; like your wife, she's super light. It's definitely a light build.

I'd recommend either DT 4.2s, Stan's Arch, Alex XCR 100d, XD-Lite or if you want really light, the XCR Pro (300g scandium, 24mm wide) rims.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oso
    Sangria with Silver bits
    Muz-R's Sultan Setup Thread
    Beautiful, but I can't. I ride the red bikes in the family.
    Craig, Durango CO

mtbr member
    I gotta say, all these guys giving me advice on my wife (and yes, I asked) is like Tony Romo giving advice on how to get to the Superbowl.

Any ladies here to help me out?
    Craig, Durango CO

Moosehead
    this thread is tailor made for tidy

not so super...
    Pink or blue

Mine

wifey's

mtbr member
    i went with white for my wife with some pink accessories. looks sharp and is not overkill on the girly stuff

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    No Pink - only women can select that color.
    WTF??

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    when i was gettin candycorns stinger painted, i asked her what color she wanted thinkin for sure shed pick sangria or another red variation since she digs red. she blew me away by choosin smoke black. seems she was taken by my dhr we were standin beside while oogelin her new frame. ya just never know.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    when i was gettin candycorns stinger painted, i asked her what color she wanted thinkin for sure shed pick sangria or another red variation since she digs red. she blew me away by choosin smoke black. seems she was taken by my dhr we were standin beside while oogelin her new frame. ya just never know.
    I think c-corn is on to something here...go with a neutral color frame like a charcoal gray and let her accessorize the bike with King or Hope bits of her choosing, plus matching grips, cables, and maybe a saddle cover (even a bottle cage if you are so inclined).
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

ive got a new idea. see if this works. have her pick out a few colors that turn her on and we can pull up some true to life shots, then she can decide. ive seen many of the pre '09 hues in person and theres some killer pics out there that really do represent the real thing.

as far as kittin it out, ta indeed nailed it. simple works. a set of jnc stickers is all they need to make em pop. heres where she can get creative for a small price then change her mind with the tide.

just thinkin out loud here so feel free to blow any of this crap off and do what ya want.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn

Yer screwed now. She'll never go back.

zillaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

Well good news,

she has decided on a color. While not a Raiders fan (after all, we are from Colorado), the color scheme looks silver and black. I'm am surprised, but not questioning.
    So here is the planned build:
    Birthday/Valentines/Anniversary Turner 5-Spot
    New Components
    1. 2009 5-Spot - small, Stardust Silver (front triangle only)
    2. Fork – 2009 Fox Float RLC, 15mm TA
    3. Wheels:
    a. Hubs – American Classic Disc, 15mm TA
    b. Rims – Stan’s ZTR Olympic
    c. Spokes – silver, 1.8/1.5
    d. Nipples – aluminum, sliver
    e. Cassette – Sram PG990 11-34
    f. Tubeless setup, yellow tape?
    4. Tires – Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evolution 2.25, tubeless
    5. Brakes – Hope Mini Mono Pro
    6. Headset – Cane Creek S-8
    7. Seatpost – Easton EC90, 300mm (I think)
    8. Seat QR – something lite, black (Hope?)
    9. Chain – Sram PC 991 Hollow pin

Existing Components
    1. Crank – Shimano XT
    2. Shifters – Sram X0
    3. Rear Derailleur - Sram XO
    4. From Derailleur – Shimano XT
    5. Handlebars/Stem – Easton MonkeyLite XC, Easton EA70

As you can see, I'm going for a light build. She only weighs 110 lbs.
    Any comments or suggestions?
    Craig, Durango CO

Moosehead
    Hell, I'd marry you

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    As you can see, I'm going for a light build. She only weighs 110 lbs.
    Any comments or suggestions?
    My suggestion is to think about a dual air fork. That gives her an adjustable negative spring instead of a one-size-fits-all. Often, when light folks set the postive air for their weight, the negative coil spring is keeping the fork from fully extending. I happen to like dual air myself, but for light riders I think it's especially useful.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Cbrossman

I'm gonna give ya abit of the ta sexpert homie manual advice here, for chicks its not about the instant gratification! here ya go baby here's ya nice spanking built flashy bling dwl 5spot.

Yeah that will be nice and appreciated, but it won't feel like its her's as much, this is like foreplay but for bikes, trust me Ive learnt this the HARD WAY!

This is what ya need to do to make her feel really special and of course her 5spot!

If Larry is close!

haha not that close

hahaha. Dude you
    Find a nice restaurant, wine and dine her just for her not the kids if ya have any? take her out treat her nice, ya don't have to go all out just make it nice, so she knows you have thought about her!

Get her some nice flowers, at the restaurant, make her feel desired! afterward s go for a nice walk, take it slow, don't rush things, go with the flow, don't talk about you, ask her stuff, don't talk about bikes, or Larry

If ya don't live too close maybe ya could get some nice stay over accommodation!
    make a good night of it, if that hasn't got her stoked yet then, I'm sure some chocolate decadence should finish her off!

Net morning, a nice breaky somewhere, before ya wisk her off to Larry's ya let the too of em work out al the details like colors, specc, let them talk turkey, you take a back seat , I know how hard that will be, dude Im typing this struggling myself, but trust me Larry will guide her and you will be a hero not the bad guy later!

And she will have the best birthday and best dwl Spot eva, you will have had plenty of action jackson and probably still come in under budget plus be a very relaxed man with a HUGE smile on yer face!

Oh my checks in the mail

hahaha. dude you crack me up! best advice in a thread eva! lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1. The rims should be fine. My wife used my old rear race wheel with a ZTR Olympic rim all last year on a Stumpy without any problems at all. She's 110 lbs and we're in Durango, so it's relevant.

2. Since the frame is going to Loveland, just have Larry take the shock to Push before he ships it down here. I don't care what anyone says, I think the stock shock will have too much damping.

2.5 While he's at it, have Push do the fork too. My wife's bike has a Talas that Speccy spec'd with lower than normal damping and she loves it. In fact, after her first ride on it she said "every other fork I've tried felt broken compared to this."

3. Just go ahead and get an XTR cassette. They're light and they work.

4. Our local Turner dealer might want to give you a beat down for not supporting the LBS.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    hahaha. dude you crack me up! best advice in a thread eva! lol
    Haha, yeah but she went with 15mm ta..... thats it i'd be getting a D.I.V.O.R.C.E.

CB well done man, I gave a chick black one once [5spot LOL, bad homies bad homies ] like CC said!

But it didn't work for her ya never can win man so ya did well mang congrats, above coments just jiving bro, ya gotta roll with the punches, chicks are always right huh!

but ya already new that aye
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stradissimo
    4. Our local Turner dealer might want to give you a beat down for not supporting the LBS.
    I've worked with Larry for awhile, before we bought the Racer-X it is replacing from Russell.
    Craig, Durango CO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast