mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Help identify this Turner

Hey everyone, I need a little help figuring out what I have here. The guy says it's a Burner and the frame was replaced by Turner in 2004. I wasn't sure if it was a Burner because I've never seen one with the cables routed on the underside of the top tube. I also noticed that there isn't the angled piece between the seat tube and top tube.

Any ideas? Any other info that might make it easier to identify?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help identify this Turner-img_0667.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Looks like a pre 2002 XCE with short rockers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

way old

Probably a 1995 Burner, maybe a 1994?

In 1996 the shock mount-BB-main pivot were in one piece billet.

DT

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Avid !

Check out the machine work on those Avid brakes!!! Damn, there was some cool stuff coming off CNC machines then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Probably a 1995 Burner, maybe a 1994?

In 1996 the shock mount-BB-main pivot were in one piece billet.

DT
    Yikes. I didn't think it would have been that old. The guy I got it from said the frame was replaced by Turner in 2004. Would there have been 10 year old frames in the shop to send as a replacement?

brakes; sometimes fixed
    Apr 2005

misleading

The guy I got it from said the frame was replaced by Turner in 2004. Would there have been 10 year old frames in the shop to send as a replacement?
    I think what the guy really meant was that the Burner model was replaced by the Flux for 2004 or 2005. I hope it was an honest misunderstanding and he wasn't misleading you into thinking the bike was newer than its vintage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'd like to believe he wasn't intentionally misleading. Here's what his post said to describe the bike:

2004 Turner Burner Large Full Suspension Mountain Bike. Frame was replaced by Turner in 2004 and ridden very little since.

brakes; sometimes fixed
    Apr 2005
    Intentional or not, somebody's got the date way wrong on this frame. Probably that DT guy.

Seriously though, it's a classy classic bike but not what was advertised.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Check out the sticky 'turner bikes past and present', select 'the classics' and take a look at the last bike on page 4, it looks like yours - a 95 burner
    Iain

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Old, very very old.

That was absolutely first gen frame. It was also highly unlikely that we had a triangle of that style in 2005 laying around to replace. In fact, impossible,

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    WOW! Awesome to realize that Turner has been producing some of the best bikes in the world for almost (or over?) 20 years. Glad I was along for the ride! Thanks Dave!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the info, everyone. DT, is there a way to make the rear on this baby disc-compatible?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

matched kit

No way from us. besides everything is kinda matched. lPutting modern brakes on it would throw make you want to go faster which would lead to wanting better forks, then shock then geometry. It is what it is, enjoy the history.
    DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuckInTheCity View Post
    Thanks for the info, everyone. DT, is there a way to make the rear on this baby disc-compatible?
    I have one of the very first disc rear ends from about 96 which will fit but as DT says its not really worth the hassle of upgrading and just ride it for what it is.

If you do start upgrading I'd love that ALPS shock to return my 95 to a period build.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

roots, rocks, rhythm
    That sure is a classic!
    Use to ride with a guy who had one and that was first time I had ever seen a Turner.
    I was so jealous!

And why I have one now! or 2
    A little newer though!