Arf, he said.

Help choosing 5-spot Romic replacement

OK, so I'm one of the last 3 people on the planet still using the Romic shock on my 04 5-Spot. It's been super reliable, but it needs to be overhauled now so I'm thinking its time to get a replacement and turn the Romic into my backup shock.

First, I convinced myself that I'm a coil kind of a guy, so I was looking at picking up a DHX-C. But, then I look through the Spot data base, and almost nobody is running coils anymore it seems. Am I just being stoopid by not giving the RP3 (or 23) or DHX-A a chance? My Spot weighs about 31#, which makes it just about the heaviest one around. If I get, say, a Pushed Fox Air shock, would I miss the plushness of my trusty coil?

Then I start thinking that maybe I should get new Push rockers at the same time and really do a major upgrade - I'm running the original 5.1 rockers. Just about now, my head starts to explode with all the possibilities. This is where I need some Homer help.

BTW, I'm 180# without gear and ride mostly rocky gnarly XC. The fork is a Z1 FR SL 130. I don't particularly like to fiddle with settings while on the trail, I'm more of a "set it and forget it" type. Advice please????

banned
    I like the DHXc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    There's only one other person using a Romic, becasue that's what I'm using. I also have a 2006 RP3. It's nice, but I still always go back to the Romic.

I think the best choice for you would be to get the RP3 (or23) and then send the Romic in for service. Yo can use whichever you like better and the other will be a backup.

You may like the RP3 since you like the FRSL fork. I have the 2003 Z1FR and prefer coil.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I just replaced my Romic 2 days ago with the new van R. 04 Spot running an 04 Z1 up front also. I haven't been able to ride it yet but from what I heard its a good shock and can be pushed. Also it leaves me with a little extra cash so I can get the Push rockers, Hopefully soon. My Spot weighs in around 34 lbs. Good luck
    Mark

Bike Snob
    I have a overhauled Romic I will sell you. In fact I have two so make me an offer I can't refuse.

Arf, he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd
    I just replaced my Romic 2 days ago with the new van R. 04 Spot running an 04 Z1 up front also. I haven't been able to ride it yet but from what I heard its a good shock and can be pushed. Also it leaves me with a little extra cash so I can get the Push rockers, Hopefully soon. My Spot weighs in around 34 lbs. Good luck
    Mark
    I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the Van R when you get a chance to try it out. I spoke with Darren at Push earlier today and he had good things to say about it. The Van R can be Pushed and it will show up on their web site soon. Its over $100 less then a new RP23 from Push.

It's about the same weight as my Romic though. I guess thats what I'm struggling with. Do I owe it to myself to see what a lightweight 5-spot feels like? or is being svelte over-rated?

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    I just ordered the rockers from Push (will not have them ready to ship until end of month), but have been using the RP3 for over a year now with great results. I also just bought a AM 1 with the 130-150 travel. I'm hoping this como works well.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I will post a mini review once I get to ride it a few times. I gave up on weight when I ran out of money, in other words as soon as I bought my first real mountain bike. Besides its not rolling weight so it doesn't matter as much. Right?

Yay! Bikes !
    I'd buy an old Fox Vanilla RC (ahem) and have it rebuilt. Viola!
    Nick.

... I guess you won't be
    I was in the same boat you are, mtbdawg - my romic [2--3 spot] had been bombproof, but I knew I'd have to send it in sometime for a freshening.....but, as luck would have it, I was able to snag a brand new RP3 for next to nothing, from a racer friend of mine. I slapped it on and rode it on my local nearby trail.....a stock 2006 RP3 is a very nice shock, and very comparable to the romic, a little softer in the middle than the romic, but very nice and coil like!

However nice the stocker was, I took it off and sent it off to Push for their full-valving Kit modification - even got the upgrade for a larger air canister, the one off the DHX-air shock, for a more coil like feel. My first ride on my Pushed RP3 was a brain stunner....oftern, you change stuff on your bike and it's hard to really tell if it's any better, or not - right off the bat, the Pushed RP3 dispelled that perception - it was noticeably better, more responsive yet had this really relaxed yet defined damping quality to it that's difficult to describe. All I can say is that's it's the best mod I've ever done to any bike I've ever ridden, and transformed the way my Spot rides.....it's that good.

Lately, I've been riding my rp3 in full pro pedal mode for a maximum platform effect....it really helps my 34LB [ok, stop laughing it's really only 33.64 lbs! on the digital scale] spot become a sprightly trailbike and jump when the whip's cracked. In full plushy propedal setting, it's noticeably more relaxed and not so interested in sprinting, but very nice riding for jumping off stuff, and adventure riding.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Romic

I just got to add that I'm still running a Romic and still really liking it. Always used to moan about the weight of the bike but now I've got used to it.
    Don't know much about replacements, except I had a go on a Rp32 and personally found it a bit 'mushy', for want of a better term.

Arf, he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    However nice the stocker was, I took it off and sent it off to Push for their full-valving Kit modification - even got the upgrade for a larger air canister, the one off the DHX-air shock, for a more coil like feel. My first ride on my Pushed RP3 was a brain stunner....oftern, you change stuff on your bike and it's hard to really tell if it's any better, or not - right off the bat, the Pushed RP3 dispelled that perception - it was noticeably better, more responsive yet had this really relaxed yet defined damping quality to it that's difficult to describe. All I can say is that's it's the best mod I've ever done to any bike I've ever ridden, and transformed the way my Spot rides.....it's that good.
    Joker, thanks for the feedback. I hope Darren is giving you commission at least. This sounds like the mod I'm looking for. I guess I'm just a bit gun shy on spending a few hundred $$ since my previous experience with older generation air shocks was underwhelming.

So let me get this straight... you shed a pound by swapping to the Pushed RP3 and you're still weighing in at 34 lbs? Holy crap, whats the rest of your build look like? If the Pushed RP3 can make that rig snappy, thats saying quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Jeff check your PM box.

trail fairy
    Jeff weve just done exactly this to my buddies spot (spotz) he took my DHXc off my new RFX frame and its been awesome on his Spot all of us who have ridden it have been really impressed, I have a DHXa on my spot and its not as nice IMO lighter yes but his rides way better just pedals nicer more responsive
    almost made feel feel like I'd made a mistake selling him my brand new shock until I got the cane creek the other day and rode that wow, if ya have the $$ that would be my first choice for the Spot as well as the RFX its amazing.

Im going to swap em over sometime and see if I can get a good impression of how much difference there is , same spring rates so its a good comparison and on both bikes.

DHXc all the way
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Jeff- Up until a month or so back I was still riding my '04 Spot with the Romic. Switched to a brand new stock '05 RP3 and I'm very impressed. Feels just as smooth to me as the Romic, but with a little more softness through the middle of the stroke. Got to say I probably wouldn't go back to the Romic (although I did really like it). The one thing to mention however, I still don't think I've gotten full travel out of the RP3, close but not quite full travel. Maybe consider getting a good used one, $200 or so is getting fairly easy to find, ride it to make sure it's ok, and send in to PUSH at some point? Enjoy!