mtbr member

Smile Help! 30 middle ring crankset??

I have a new five spot and want to run a 30 tooth middle ring.
    I have done some research and found two companies that sell a 30 and 31 tooth middle.
    for my new style xt 770 crankset but I would have modify the spider. (file down).
    Hoping someone can help me. I remember being told shimano made a crankset years ago
    that accepted a 30 tooth middle ring. Model #? rings still available?
    My current setup is 104 bcd on a four arm.
    Any help from the turner faithful would be appreciated!

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    I've used the Extralite 30T. Broke chainring nut which is actually machined from the same piece of aluminum as the ring. I did like the idea of not having chainring nuts ie 4 less parts. They warrantied it but I had to pay shipping to Italy ($40!!). If you use this you have to dremel the spider where the chainring nuts go through so that the chain will not hit the spider. In the end, I ride 1x9 and this ring was too small. Too much spinning and not enough snap per stroke. My advice, use the crank as designed ie smallest middle being 32T. Your experience may differ but that's my 2 cents.
    Drink beer all day

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Call up Russ at Action Tec

mtbr member
    There are a couple of options, Extralite as mentioned, Anderson (?) Machine Works, both aren't cheap.

Other options are to change to a spiderless crank (WI, Middleburn, 950 XTR, etc), or old school 5-arm 94mm BCD cranks that can take down to a 29t middle ring.

This is what I've done:

loud hubs save lives
    I put an Andersen Machine 30T on my sultan a couple weeks ago to get the gearing back in check. There was only minimal filing of the spider to allow a spot for the chain, which doesn't affect running normal chainrings later. Took about 10 minutes with a dremel. My ring was designed for 1x9 or SS, so its slightly offset (which actually meant less filing than his other rings). I am definitely happy with the ring, and the modification to the spider wasn't a big deal since it doesn't effect it if i wanted to go back to a larger ring.

Brass Nipples!
    I'm running a Surly Mr. Whirly with 20/30/40 rings on both my Sultan and my Pugsley. They work great.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    You can still find Cooks, Race Face, other 5 bolt square taper cranks 94/58 mm bolt circle cranks where you can run 29 or 30 tooth middle rings without any problems. Been running 20/29/42 for years.

mtbr member
    gmats....
    when you say you can find them do you mean that they are making them new or do i look around for an older set?
    If so where would you buy the chainrings>
    I have looked at cook bros and it seems he only makes a ss crank now.
    Any help would be appreciated as this gearing 20-29-42 is EXACTLY WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR.
    Details would help me greatly. You can also call me anytime on my cell at 805-338-9696. Thanks Randy

mtbr member
    rgeniec,

Sorry bout that. Yes, the cranks are available used on flea-bay as well as other places. I have four bikes set up, one with Old Syncros Forged, one with Race Face carbon, one with Race Face Forged, and one with Cooks.

The chainrings are bit harder to find (especially in 29t). That's why when I find them, I try to pick them up as spare parts. I know IcyclesUSA had them a while back. FSA used to sell them but I know they've run out. There are some TA pieces I see from time to time but that's only in Europe and thus they charge "Euros". They might ship to US.

https://www.roba-bikeparts.com/shop/...ml?language=en

20T (Action Tec) and 42's are still around, I see them a lot. Good luck with that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Geez geniec get a job so you wont have to grovel for a solution to a non existant problem, ur ridng a 26r not a 36r

HAHAHA.. later

mtbr member
    fyi for anyone trying to downsize to a 20-30-40 i have good news!!!
    here is the link...brand new! pick size and even color...and they have three
    different size spiders so you can always go back to 104-64 for only $25 by changing
    spider back...!!!

http://www.adventurecomponents.com/loproxt1.htm

The only issue now is to get the rings...
    Middleburn offers ramped and pinned and coated rings. need to find a distributor of them,
    i found them here but the guy never answers the phone...any ideas on where
    to find middleburn rings?
    http://www.mtbtandems.com/Middleburn.html

mtbr member
    CRC sell middleburn.

Salsa and TA also do non ramped 30t rings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

The final answer to your odd size chain ring needs!!!!

THE FOLKS AT home brewed components DOT COM IN NORTH COUNTY SAN DIEGO HAVE BEEN MAKING THE BEST RINGS IN CA FOR YEARS.... 29 TOOTH NO PROBLEM- ALUMINUM OR TI!!!!