Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Headsets???????

mtbr member

Headsets???????

Cane Creek 110, Cane Creek Solos or Hope - (for a long travel single crown fork)?

I have a Solos and like it but fancy something a little blingier. Don't want a Chris King - creakier than an old wooden door....thanks

mtbr member
    I would give the 110 a try. For what it's worth I have a King my Spot and have had one on my old Stinky. My brother currently has Kings on his 575, 303 and Peeler. Mid and Long travel bikes and not one has ever made a noise. Rock solid in my books. But the 110 looks sweet

banned
    I am interested in trying a CC 110 on the top and King on the bottom. Mainly because I like having the 4mm riser, but hate the o-ring s/u on the King. Never had issues with creaky HS's, probably because I grease them up good and proper, but have had issues with loose assemblies.

Expert Crasher
    Stick with the SOLOS and put the bling somewhere else. That headset just plain works - go for something gucci like Straitline brake levers, a blingy bottle cage or some nifty vented rotors. My 2cents anyway.....

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Knomer
    Chris King components belong ONLY on retro builds, when you're going for that "remember how lame things were?" theme.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

trail fairy
    Ive run the Hope after a creaking King and its been bullet proof understated, I'd get another, I like that it gives me a slighly slacker HA as well [its got quite deep cups] its lightish but beefy compared to a King, the CC110 looks sweet, but I like something beefy and tough for the RFX up esspecially for a LTSC fork
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Surfin' da mountain
    Chris King or Hope

Thinking of trying a Crank Bros next.

mtbr member
    I spoke with Malcolm just last week about the 110 or Solos for my RFX that's coming, and he told me the Solos was discontinued (or was going to be.)

But FYI, he said the 110 was loads better than the Solos.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    I had a king on my 06 RFX - creaked like crazy and so I put a solos on it....which never creaked....although I traded the bike 9 months later...110 and hope are within a few bucks of each other. I may toss a coin!

TLL
    mtbr member
    FSA Pig Pro DH for an RFX.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    "Don't want a Chris King - creakier than an old wooden door"

I do not post here much but you just might be nuts! I don't think I'm alone on this one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside
    "Don't want a Chris King - creakier than an old wooden door"

I do not post here much but you just might be nuts! I don't think I'm alone on this one.
    I may be nuts but not on that point...lots of people experienced creaky king headsets on long travel single crown forks...at least one already posted in this thread.

mtbr member
    Never had a creaky king, ever. However, for something new, the newest sultan is getting a crankbrothers.

mtbr member
    I had a creaky Chris King headset on my spot. I know it seems trivial
    but hearing a creak on bigger bumps is a bit disconcerting. I replaced the
    headset with a Cane Creek 110 and no more noise. I will NOT part with
    my King hubs though.

My girlfriend has a FSA Orbit Extreme Pro on her spot and it is silent.
    Both have Thompson stems.

--
    Don

Feeding your addiction
    Hey Chris. I'd get the 110 if I were you, though the Hope is very good also.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    FSA Pig Pro DH for an RFX.
    They don't call em pigs for nothing

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    They don't call em pigs for nothing
    I knew there was a reason my steering felt so heavy.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    . . . .
    Ya I mean we like sheep analogies on our RFXs

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    I may be nuts but not on that point
    I think your nuts on all points. Get that dam 5.5 spot on the Trail already.

BTW my king on the RFX is silky smooth

mtbr member

CK Steelset

Hey,

For all of you CK bashers, I have been running a CK Steelset for two years now on two different RFX's and no creaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007
    I spoke with Malcolm just last week about the 110 or Solos for my RFX that's coming, and he told me the Solos was discontinued (or was going to be.)

But FYI, he said the 110 was loads better than the Solos.
    I see the question being addressed a lot and no one really answers HOW the 110 and the Solos differ from one another in the real world. Why is the 110 better?

As far as the King goes, I have not had the creaking issue thus far, but that is no endorsement. I would get a Hope or a CC myself. I have noted that the top bearing cap on the King wears out, as noted in a previous thread I started on this subject. While I'm on all original parts for my 04 King, I am weary of the top cap since only an Oring holds it in place and that place eventually allows the rim that interfaces in the bearing race to wear, potentially creaking and needing adjustment.

I have planned on it, but didn't do it yet, to install a CC compression ring and top cap. I know for a fact that someone else has successfully done this.

Tscheezy will of course post in this one how he has 100 Kings in use now and they all work. Pretty soon there will be Barney colon-cam pictures being posted.

mtbr member
    A bit off topic, but are the Gravity Dropper Turbos THAT much better than the older remote models that putting up with that hideous, dangling cable is worth it? I have the older model, though only put it on for Super D races, or maybe for some rides, & it works great, plus the cable is nicely out of the way & doesn't look like a coat hanger for a car antenna.

Just wondering

mtbr member

Yes they are.

But I also added an old V-Brake cable guide to to keep it out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member

No good Whoa, Hoss!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I see the question being addressed a lot and no one really answers HOW the 110 and the Solos differ from one another in the real world. Why is the 110 better?

As far as the King goes, I have not had the creaking issue thus far, but that is no endorsement. I would get a Hope or a CC myself. I have noted that the top bearing cap on the King wears out, as noted in a previous thread I started on this subject. While I'm on all original parts for my 04 King, I am weary of the top cap since only an Oring holds it in place and that place eventually allows the rim that interfaces in the bearing race to wear, potentially creaking and needing adjustment.

I have planned on it, but didn't do it yet, to install a CC compression ring and top cap. I know for a fact that someone else has successfully done this.

Tscheezy will of course post in this one how he has 100 Kings in use now and they all work. Pretty soon there will be Barney colon-cam pictures being posted.
    Barney colon-cam pics???? If I was Phil and Barney was going to be my wife, those would be fightin' words, hoss.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    The one thing Malcolm told me was the compression ring setup, and how it's much better suited for long travel forks.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast