mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Head tube discoloration - worrisome or OK?

Hi!

I just sent a question directly to TurnerBikes, but perhaps someone here also has some hands on experience... with frame discoloration:

I have a 2005 5-spot, and noticed a few weeks ago some discoloration at the headtube, just beneath and to the left of the Turner logo.

The bike did not get hit there. Perhaps the bike came like this, but I don't remember it. Perhaps it had some cable routing through there in the past, but similar cables on the top-tube just scratch the paint - not discolor it.

What do you think?
    Is this the kind of discoloration that tells something serious (e.g. frame breakage on the way), or should I just continue to ride my bike and "be merry"?

Thanks for any advice!!!

P1010089.JPG

Lay off the Levers
    It's hard to tell from the pic but the shot looks like cable rub. But if it's a discoloration, that's the first I've seen. Especially in the middle of the head tube. I can't think of how it could be stress related in that location. Impact related? Maybe but then there should be an impact mark as well , like a dent, ding or chip.

Maybe the bike was stored leaning against something that interacted with the paint? (Reaching here...)

FWIW that's almost exactly where I get cable rub on my Spot. But I have a clear frame protector there.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    It's hard to tell from the pic but the shot looks like cable rub. But if it's a discoloration, that's the first I've seen. Especially in the middle of the head tube. I can't think of how it could be stress related in that location. Impact related? Maybe but then there should be an impact mark as well , like a dent, ding or chip.

Maybe the bike was stored leaning against something that interacted with the paint? (Reaching here...)

FWIW that's almost exactly where I get cable rub on my Spot. But I have a clear frame protector there.
    Agreed, can not see how it could be stress related in the middle front of a headtube. failures would typically occur around the back of the headtube around where the welds are.

You do not have to worry about this leading to a catastrophic failure (unless someone poured acid inside the head tube and it is eating its way out)

Alaska Turner Mafia
    It looks like the other cable (just to the right of your red circle) may be making contact. When you turn your bars hard right, that cable will get tensioned right about there. Twist your bars and see if the housing and rub spot line up.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Knomer
    Look at that KILLER ht badge!
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Address

If you want one DB, send you address and I will hook you up.

DT

Baked Alaskan
    That's total cable rub, scuffs and abrasions will be a slightly different color. You should see my '03 Spot's black PC finish!!! Its looking pretty rough right now to say the least.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Good job! Phewwwwwwwwwwwww

Thanks guys - VERY RELAXING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never saw a "discoloration" so I did not know what to expect, and it looks significantly different than the cable rubs on the top tube, so I wanted t make sure I am not neglecting something here

Going riding...

i want spring!

Wwjd

cable rub, huh.
    on my computer i see his face...
    Last edited by Dirty Bert; 10-31-2006 at 10:34 PM.
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    I knew this was going to come up. Now you're going to have a hard time riding it with all the people showing up to pay homage to the picture on the frame. Should have kept it to yourself.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.