mtbr member
    May 2006

From Hardtail to FS-Turner 5 Spot

So after years of wanting to upgrade the hardtail and buy a full suspension I am finally a proud owner of an 05 Turner 5 Spot. I just picked up the bike last week but am having some fit issues. Here's my build

05 5 Spot Small
    Talas RLC Fork
    Fox DHX air 5.0
    819 rims with DT Comp spokes and Hadley hubs
    XT Cranks
    Thompson 50 mill stem
    Thompson straight post
    Avid Juicy 7 brakes

I am 5'4" and feel as if the frame size is right for me but I feel like I am too far forward in the cockpit. When seated I feel like I am way too far forward, especially on descents. I know the stem is a bit short but what about being too far forward? Am I just not used to this bike or is something not right? I bought the bike from Wrench Science and they are working with me but I really want to figure this out. I demo'd a 5 Spot in Moab and it felt great. I failed to write down the specs. Wrench Science recommended a Thompson setback post and I am swapping out the stem to a 70 mill because I am hitting my knees on the shifters. The bike felt awesome in Moab and now I am a bit concernerned with the fit. Anyway, any help would be super greatly appreciated.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You hit the nail on the head

A 50mm stem is very short. Upgrade to a 90mm and see how that works. I would call Wrench Science and talk to them. I run a 100 by 15 rise on my Spot.

Jaybo

PSI
    I want that one
    Congratulations, from a HT to 5 Spot one bold step!
    At 5'4" the small should feel just right... you should feel in the center of the bike and very balanced. I think a longer stem is necessary although it will make you feel even more forward. I would look for the culprit in other places. See if you have enough sag in your rear shock and not too much in your fork, check if you can lower your seat post a bit and try putting more spacers under your stem. If this is your first FS rig then there is a lot of getting used to. I would avoid a setback seat post if possible - it will slacken the seat tube angle and hurt uphill pedaling power.
    Last edited by PSI; 05-20-2006 at 12:22 AM.

MEM
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Try with a new stem

Rome,

I am 5'3", my 04 small Spot feel right, this is my setup:

Thompson 100mmx15d stem
    Thompson straight post
    Saddle in the middle or little backward position

Other factor: the A to C of the fork
    I had the same feeling with my first fork (Zoke Marathon SL 120mm) due to the A to C length, now I have an Zoke All Mountain SL 130mm.
    The A to C of the Talas is the recomended setting from Turner, however I feel fine with the 12mm more from the All Mountain.

One advise with fox forks, be careful with the sag, the fork compress too easy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am going to try the 70mm stem as well as drop a spacer under the stem to bring it up a bit. I need to double check my sag as well.

MEM-
    What is the A to C? I am coming from a Cannondale with a Headshock so modern suspension design is new to me.

Thanks for all of the suggestions from all of you. I really appreciate it. Sounds like the setback post may be a bad idea and throw the geom off on the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    MEM-
    I feel like my seat needs to be back more. I will try moving it back and see how that feels. As for the Fox front sag, do you have any recommendations?

MEM
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

A to C

MEM-
    What is the A to C? I am coming from a Cannondale with a Headshock so modern suspension design is new to me

A to C = Axle to crown:

The distance between the front hub axle to the steerer crown, just where the fixed headset ring is placed in the fork steerer tube.

This distance change the front heigh of your bike and depends of the fork manufacturer end the fork´s travel.

MEM
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Fork settings:

Quote Originally Posted by rome
    MEM-
    I feel like my seat needs to be back more. I will try moving it back and see how that feels. As for the Fox front sag, do you have any recommendations?
    Rome,
    In general, trailbikes has a shorter top tube, I feel the same when I start to ride my spot coming from a hardtail, so my advise is to set your saddle back, try with the 70mm or longer stem and ride a lot. Now I ride my spot 95% of the time and my hardtail the rest of the time.
    The setback post will affect your climbling performance, so use as your last resource. In steep climbs, my spot has better traction than my hardtail.

About the fork:

I only test a Fox Talas R, the RLC version is better, try with 20 to 25% of sag and try to adjust on the trail the compresion to avoid plushness of fox forks. Fox recomends to set the sag and depending of the feel you can add or decrease the pressure in 5psi steps. Use the fox manual according to your weight to adjust the initial setting and install a zip tie in the fork to check the fork bottoming during your ride.

I prefer the Marzocchi firm feel, the TST (terrain seletion technology) provide on the trail adjustment is similar to the compression of the TALAS.

This a shot of my bike:
    Attached Images Attached Images

... I guess you won't be
    I am swapping out the stem to a 70 mill because I am hitting my knees on the shifters

um....that shouldn't be happening on any bike.....only think I can think of is that you have really short arms and very long legs? Possible? If so, you will have to get creative with your cockpit arrangements.....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    May 2006
    MEM,
    Have you tried any other stems? We are really close in terms of height so the stem choice may be key. I noticed that you have a 15 degree rise on your 100 mm. I have a 0 degree rise which is why I may feel too far on top of the bars. Do you feel really stretched with a 100mm or does it feel perfect? 90 mm is the shortest thompson goes with rise. I may try a 90 mm with the 15 degree rise.

Jokermtb-
    The headtube seems long enough for me but the stem is ultra short. I picked up this rig from an online dealer since I couldn't find an 2005 spot locally and the dealer is the one who thought I needed a 50 mm stem. I guess they were completely off. My arm/leg length is pretty normal for my height. Anyway, hopefully I will get this rig set up properly soon.

Does anyone use a qucik release on the seat tube? If so, what kind? I picked up a Salsa and it rubbed against the frame when the shock compressed. Not very happy when I say the scratch it left.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Spot size?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    A 50mm stem is very short. Upgrade to a 90mm and see how that works. I would call Wrench Science and talk to them. I run a 100 by 15 rise on my Spot.

Jaybo
    Jaybo,
    What size frame do you have and how tall are you? What is the setup on your rig?

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    rome,
    congrats for your fs transform.
    I'm 5'3" and my small silver ano (..aaahh) Spot equipped with 100mm x 0 deg stem and feel great on fit and handling. I moved from 70mm x 15 deg stem since I felt a need on more xc-ish position.
    I agree with previous post that your handle position relative to your saddle will also play the role on fit. Fox forks in general has shorter A-C as compared to other. Spacers under your stem may help.

why do you need a quick release seat post clamp..? I replaced it with a gravity dropper seat post .. ..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    nice bike, good to see another small spot you don't see many.
    perhaps your problem is that your riding on the fork because your used to your old hardtail, i ride a kona explosif usually in winter and for the local xc jaunt's, and find i ride the bikes totaly differant and occasionally hang over the front of my spot early on in rides if ive been on the hardtail too much.
    you mite all think it sounds bollox but you never know.

Surfin' da mountain
    Rome,

I ride a Turner XCE (4" travel), the predecessor to the Five Spot, so my geometry is slightly different but the principle should still apply. Turner recommeds a 100-105mm fork with their 4" bikes and 125-130mm fork with their 5" bikes. I replaced the Marzocchi Marathon (105mm travel) with the Marzocchi Z1 FR SL (130mm travel). What a world of difference! I feel like I'm sitting in a better balanced position. The steering is a little slower in the twisties, but that was the only drawback. The longer fork inspires more confidence in the steep areas and at higher speeds. And the fork locks down at an A to C setting similar to 90mm to 100mm forks for the climbs.
    A friend just installed a Fox Float 130 on his Flux, because he said he felt too far forward.

Nuttin wrong with Fox but the Marzocchi All Mountain has two travel settings, 130mm as suggested by Turner and 150mm to improve your confidence. And it will lock down for the longish climbs. The Fox 36 comes in TALAS w/ travel 110-150mm, but you'll need to upgrade to a 20mm Axle.
    Next year Fox will have the TALAS 32 w/ 100-120-140mm travel detents. Hmmmm!

A different fork fixed a similar problem I had. I use a 100mm Stem.

mtbr member
    May 2006

5 Spot almost there

I swapped out the 50mm stem with an 80mm and the bike feels a heck of a lot better. Thank you all for your recommendations. One thing I am noticing now is that the front wheel seems to wash out when I am trying to corner when I am going fast. Is this a stem issue? I kind of thougt it may have been the type of tire I am running but was wondering if the stem length would affect my cornering. I am running a 2.3 Conti Gravity on the front and back.