Never enough time to ride

Hans and the Sultan

Does anyone know if the Schwalbe Hans Dampf plays nicely with the back end of the Sultan. It's about time to replace the Nics and these are looking pretty good, just unsure about clearance.

Happy trails...

Squish
    Get out and ride!

beer is good
    I've got the 2.35's on a 23mm (internal) width rim and there's plenty of room...good 'ol Turner tire clearance
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the input.

Happy trails...

Squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    2.35 NNs are too big for my 3x9 DW Sultan in muddy conditions (chain scrapes mud of the back tire and sucks).

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    I have not used Hans Dampf 2.35's on my DW Sultan but have them on my new steel HT 29er and absolutely love the tires ! I sure hope they fit okay on the Sultan ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

beer is good
    Here's a couple of pics, Josh...go for it , great tires:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hans and the Sultan-sltnwls-010-large-e-mail-view.jpg  

Hans and the Sultan-sltnwls-012-large-e-mail-view.jpg  

Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

Thanks Nels, that's about what I have for clearance with the Nobby Nics. Not going to worry about it then, most of the finish is already worn off down there already. Guess ill order a set of those up next weekend.

Thanks for the input guys!

Happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Hans Damf and NN 2.35 tires

Quote Originally Posted by squish View Post
    Thanks Nels, that's about what I have for clearance with the Nobby Nics. Not going to worry about it then, most of the finish is already worn off down there already. Guess ill order a set of those up next weekend.

Thanks for the input guys!

Happy trails...

squish
    Not to hijack this thread...how do you like the HD on the rear and the NN 2.35 tires on the front of the Sultan? Will this set up or combo a better one or the other way around? It will used for loose gravel trail. Thanks for any input.

I haven't run the Hans Dampf yet, but have plenty of miles on the Nics. As an all around good tire I like the Nics a lot. I've done some gravel road rides with the Nics and they work pretty good, they tend to pic up a lot of little rocks and toss them around though.

Ill have to weigh in after I get a set of Dampfs and have a reasonable amount of riding time on them.

Happy trails...

Squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Nn

Quote Originally Posted by squish View Post
    I haven't run the Hans Dampf yet, but have plenty of miles on the Nics. As an all around good tire I like the Nics a lot. I've done some gravel road rides with the Nics and they work pretty good, they tend to pic up a lot of little rocks and toss them around though.

Ill have to weigh in after I get a set of Dampfs and have a reasonable amount of riding time on them.

Happy trails...

Squish
    Hey Squish, Which do you prefer the NN better, front or rear? For sure you it rides different and has some characters that you could explain about this tire as a front or rear tire? Thanks again.

Like I said in the previous post the tire is all around good tire. Braking and acceleration are out standing, I haven't had them break loose on anything with the exception of shale. Wet weather performance is good as well, mud clearance is good but not great. We get a lot of leaves around here in the fall and hey handle that with out any complaint.

Cornering is good and aggressive, you do have to lean into the corners pretty hard, there aren't a lot of transition knobs.

Tubeless set up was pretty painless as they sealed in the first try with a floor pump on Stan's Flow rims. Only real gripe would be they wear kind of quick, but that's the price paid for traction.

Happy trails...

Squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Nn 2.35

Hey Squish, Thanks for your help...got it inflated using tire tube and left it overnite. I'm just going to use the HD on the front and NN on the rear and see how they work on our loose rocky trail.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    I had Hans Dampf on my 2011 front/2009 rear Sultan with both ENVE AM and Flow rims - when bottoming out on big drops (on DH race courses and jump lines) I buzzed the seat tube occasionally. Never to the point of skidding the tires, but there was definitely rubber on the seat tube.
    I'm not sure if a more modern version of the frame would do this less. If I was racing that bike again this year, I would have had the shock tuned with a bottom out bumper.

Right now I'm waiting for a Burner for this year's Enduro series...Also with Hans Dampf and ENVE.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO